Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well Im back in here for the second time, after buying my first lts december of 2012.

I just got a carbon STS frame on ebay with plans to rebuild. Turns out I only had a partial kit that happened to have a couple needle bearings in it.

Has anyone rebuilt the rear section with needle bearings instead of the old plastic type bearings? And more specifically Im looking at the ones from mtbcomponents in europe.

Im also planning on throwing a couple coats of clear over the carbon sections to smooth and protect, then some modern gt logos if I can find them.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Do you have any pics of the rebuild kit? I've only done the BETD kits before, they are pretty straightforward. My first (and best) LTS had an unusual bearing kit in it that I've never seen before but they worked wonderfully.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Pics of my kit, or pics of the one Im looking at?

This is the site Im looking into: GT Lts and Sts spares : Mountain bikes and componets by BETD Goldtec

To do the entire rear half is about 250, which is high but if its worth it I dont mind the cost.

Edit: Just realized we're talking about the same company ha, and that I didnt ask the question I meant. Im no stranger to modifications and mechanical maintenance so install wont be a problem. What Im curious about its the value; durability, longevity, quality compared to the old style bushings.

Air Pirate
    I did the entire swap-out of the bushings for the bearing kits from BETD on my 97 LTS-1. Completely worth it. Smooth, strong, and most importantly QUIET! In the case of the worn bushings and sleeves/cores (or whatever you call some of the metal bits in the bushing system) on my bike, the pivots firmed up. There was a lot of slop due to the worn nature of the sleeves/cores. Do it, you will be very happy with the results.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thats all the validation I needed, guess Ill be ordering this weekend. On another note I got a check from the scrap yard, turns out they paid me for some copper I didnt know I dropped off! Free bushing kit? ha.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hello all.
    I have a question regarding the GT LTS specifically only in the 1995 model.
    What is the difference between the GT LTS vs GT Team LTS (decal on the top tube).
    Is it because GT Team LTS has all the higher end shimano XTR setup compared to the GT LTS.
    &
    Is the aluminium frame grading the same for both?
    Is the rear fox suspension same for both?
    Is the geometry & hinges the same for both?

Thank you.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by 6erwebb View Post
    Well Im back in here for the second time, after buying my first lts december of 2012.

I just got a carbon STS frame on ebay with plans to rebuild. Turns out I only had a partial kit that happened to have a couple needle bearings in it.

nice score! I was watching that for a long time! Can't wait to see it!

DHR Rider
    Amazing to see how long this thread has been in existance. Love it.

Its been a couple of years since I was more active on MTBR, but this thread got me inspired to fix up my 99' STS 1000 DS and put it back into service. I always was a big time fan of this bike and of GT back in the day. You can see a picture of my bike (how it was a few years back ago) in the "Post your GT here" thread in the first post.

So I got myself set up with everything that I needed for the rebuild:

...BETD LTS / STS bearing kit -> check
    ...new Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset -> check
    ...new XT groupset -> check
    ...new replacement oil for my oldskool Magura Gustav M's -> check
    ...fresh new lube / degreaser / cleaning materials -> check
    ...good mood -> check

So far so good with my rebuild - I completed everything over a couple of weekends and now I am working on the finishing touches.

Just one thing which seemed a bit unusual when I installed the bearing kit on the rear linkage - the bearing set for directly behind the trunion mounted shock. If you take a look at the attached picture - you will notice that there are spaces between the rear linkage and the seatstays. Before I installed the bearing kit, the old GT bushings filled up those spaces and there was no play. Now, there is no noticeable play when moved by hand, but when installing the travel chips I had to use a hammer and I noticed that this force causes the gaps between the rear linkage and seatstays to change. Hammer force from the right onto the travel chips --> seatstay space to the right gets bigger, just like on the picture below.

Did you also notice this when installing your bearing kits? I am thinking of heading down to the local hardware store to get some plastic spacers to fill up the gaps left and right of the linkage. What do you think? How did you solve this problem? Or is it not really a problem from your point of view?

Also one final question - when installing the new BB and cranks, I used ONE black 3.5mm spacer on the drive side of the BB to get up to 73mm (as recommended by Shimano) - this was ok, right? Can't help feel that the right crank might be a tad far out, but that could just be me not being used to how the hollowtech cranks look like....

Thanks for any help / answers you may have.

Pics will be posted once the bike is finished.

Best regards,

Cohiba

Everything Gt Lts-cimg2753-v2.jpg
    Everything Gt Lts-capture.jpg

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post
    Amazing to see how long this thread has been in existance. Love it.

Its been a couple of years since I was more active on MTBR, but this thread got me inspired to fix up my 99' STS 1000 DS and put it back into service. I always was a big time fan of this bike and of GT back in the day. You can see a picture of my bike (how it was a few years back ago) in the "Post your GT here" thread in the first post.

So I got myself set up with everything that I needed for the rebuild:

...BETD LTS / STS bearing kit -> check
    ...new Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset -> check
    ...new XT groupset -> check
    ...new replacement oil for my oldskool Magura Gustav M's -> check
    ...fresh new lube / degreaser / cleaning materials -> check
    ...good mood -> check

So far so good with my rebuild - I completed everything over a couple of weekends and now I am working on the finishing touches.

Just one thing which seemed a bit unusual when I installed the bearing kit on the rear linkage - the bearing set for directly behind the trunion mounted shock. If you take a look at the attached picture - you will notice that there are spaces between the rear linkage and the seatstays. Before I installed the bearing kit, the old GT bushings filled up those spaces and there was no play. Now, there is no noticeable play when moved by hand, but when installing the travel chips I had to use a hammer and I noticed that this force causes the gaps between the rear linkage and seatstays to change. Hammer force from the right onto the travel chips --> seatstay space to the right gets bigger, just like on the picture below.

Did you also notice this when installing your bearing kits? I am thinking of heading down to the local hardware store to get some plastic spacers to fill up the gaps left and right of the linkage. What do you think? How did you solve this problem? Or is it not really a problem from your point of view?

Also one final question - when installing the new BB and cranks, I used ONE black 3.5mm spacer on the drive side of the BB to get up to 73mm (as recommended by Shimano) - this was ok, right? Can't help feel that the right crank might be a tad far out, but that could just be me not being used to how the hollowtech cranks look like....

Thanks for any help / answers you may have.

Pics will be posted once the bike is finished.

Best regards,

Cohiba

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2753 v2.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	784045

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	784046
    Cohiba, check out the PDF BETD has on how to install the bearing kit for that location. It can be found here: http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co...structions.pdf

If you go to the last photo on the third page you will see how they advise using the flat 1 mm washers included in the kit to center the whole assembly.

Per their instruction, you don't put the washers onto the bolt, but wedge them between the linkage and the seatstays. It is a little hard to see in the photo, I actually missed it the first time I tried to do this install and was in the same quandary as you!

You then tighten the nyloc nuts until movement stops, then loosen and remove the washers.

I still had trouble with the whole thing moving to one side, so I went and got some nylon washers to make a spacer. Have ridden the bike with the nylon washers in the gaps between the linkage and seatstays with no trouble or noise for a couple of years now.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

rubber side down
    Finally got my 1996 LTS-DH assembled with the 1999 Boxxer, new PIG headset, XT disc, Saint lever, front hub....I may swap the stem. The frame is a medium plus I like the longer cockpit....I love this bike! This would have been my dream DH rig back in the day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-lts_boxxer.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-lts_boxxer1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post

Name:	CIMG2753 v2.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	784045

I didnt realize the install of those bearings in that location looked so... rudimentary. Any reason why they didnt throw the cross tube on the lathe so it would fit into the bearing? Was that a weak point, those sides being tied together?

-Webb

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuantumized View Post
    Hello all.
    I have a question regarding the GT LTS specifically only in the 1995 model.
    What is the difference between the GT LTS vs GT Team LTS (decal on the top tube).
    Is it because GT Team LTS has all the higher end shimano XTR setup compared to the GT LTS.
    &
    Is the aluminium frame grading the same for both?
    Is the rear fox suspension same for both?
    Is the geometry & hinges the same for both?

Thank you.
    In a word, yes.
    Same frame, different parts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Love this thread - its the reason I've signed up. I have a '97 STS that I built up from the frame - pics will have to wait till I get a few posts under my belt.

Meanwhile - anybody have some dimensions on those bearings from BEDT or anybody elses bearing kit? I think I'll have a go at making my own bearing conversion and it would be a great head start (or I could go take my bike apart and measure...I only rode it once last year..)

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Okay so i just got my first bike, GT LTS 3000 DS

Marzocchi Bomber Z3 Fork
    aftermarket handlebars?
    super uncomfortable seat

Last edited by lowtidejoe; 04-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtidejoe View Post
    Okay so i just got my first bike, GT LTS 3000 DS

Marzocchi Bomber Z3 Fork
    aftermarket handlebars?
    super uncomfortable seat

Just got a new rock shox DLX for 57.50 shipped
    Selle Royal Ergo Gel Saddle 20 shipped

still want to take her to a bike shop to do a proper tune-up. Re-oil the forks and make sure the seals are still tight and maybe do a new chain and cassette/new lines and brakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is this a 96 LTS-1?
    Everything Gt Lts-img_2691.jpgEverything Gt Lts-img_2692.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You can check the year in the serial number. It is in the Bottom bracket. First two numbers should be the year and the last two the size if i donīt remember badly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yes, it is deffently a 1996 LTS-1. I like the gold 217 rims. How much did you pay for the bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You don't want to know.

I bought it new ... apparently in 96. I couldn't remember when I bought it which is why I was asking what model year it was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    They changed the rear upper link in 1997, and they made a few 1995 LTS-1's, but you could not run the new v-brakes on the rear. I know this because I changed my 95 over to run v-brakes. I pluged the rear brake studs and re-drilled them at the proper angle. I still have my 95 along with my 97 and my 99. I also still have my 1994 team RTS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Selle Royal Ergo Gel Saddle 20 shipped

still want to take her to a bike shop to do a proper tune-up. Re-oil the forks and make sure the seals are still tight and maybe do a new chain and cassette/new lines and brakes
    Is my model a 98?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I would say Yes to 1998.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Where'd you pick up the DLX?
    Last edited by manoian; 04-15-2013 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Sorry, I thought the DLX in the above post was referencing the Deluxe rear shock. didn't realize it was a fork.
    Last edited by GT_guy; 04-16-2013 at 12:01 PM.

rubber side down
    Lets see some pictures of your LTS's!

Quote Originally Posted by doralswheels View Post
    They changed the rear upper link in 1997, and they made a few 1995 LTS-1's, but you could not run the new v-brakes on the rear. I know this because I changed my 95 over to run v-brakes. I pluged the rear brake studs and re-drilled them at the proper angle. I still have my 95 along with my 97 and my 99. I also still have my 1994 team RTS.

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast