Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgilio Ara˙jo View Post
    Thanks hartar
    Can you send me your's by PM?
    I can't send yet pm's...
    I sent it to you.. let me know if you got it okay..

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks hartar

Pickin' n' Grinnin'
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I was wondering what's the patents status on the LTS design and overall frame ? Thought it would make one hell of a fun winter project to actually weld and build one home-made LTS for one's who got the resources and time ?

And perhaps improve the design to make it even better, I mean technology has evolved since then. As for me I'm no expert, so I couldn't really suggest any specific upgrades to the design, but I'm sure you guys already have your list

I owned a GT LTS back in 97 and loved it. I have a 2008 Ellsworth Moment now and even though I have a soft spot for the GT's, the newer designs take it much farther than GT ever did.

IMHO, of course.

Too bad GT gave up on the LTS/STS.
    Last edited by btl68; 02-07-2013 at 09:26 PM.

rubber side down
    I am looking for a RockShox Super Deluxe for my LTS DH pictured a couple posts up. Any ideas or is anyone hording one they would mind selling? Or do I just need to try my luck on ebay?
    Thanks in advance for any help/leads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    TAOS1- I've seen a few shocks pop up on eBay recently. Also Hippie Tech suspension has a LTS shock for sale.Or you could try googling Risse Racing - they make a replacement air shock for the LTS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hello everyone, I just picked up a 97 LTS, the one with the "chips" on the rear shock and I have two questions.

My frame is the straight seat tube, can I use the rear pivot and entire rear suspension from the later bent seat tube models? Are all the pivot bushings the same also?

Also are all the rear suspension parts interchangable from an 18" to a 20" ?

I am looking at picking up another frame to use for parts.

Thanks, Bill
    Last edited by Wild Bill03; 02-18-2013 at 02:54 PM.

rubber side down
    Thanks for the links Bob! Wow, the Risse's are big money!

I just missed the one on the bay that went for $66!

@Bill, Good question, take some measurements.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill03 View Post

Also are all the rear suspension parts interchangeable from an 18" to a 20" ?

Thanks, Bill

Just from what I've observed, the only difference between the sizes is the front triangle.

Unless you gotta LTS tandem rear end.

GT LTS Hoarder
    TAOS, I'm just not too excited on picking up a new old stock Rock Shox...I mean, think about how old they are now? Those rubber seals aren't going to last forever, or will they? Anyway, I picked up a couple NOS Rock Shox Coupe Deluxe (trunion mount) for cheap quite some time ago...if you get really desperate, PM me. Preload and damping adjustments only...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So the LTS I bought turned out to be a little too big for me and definitely too big for my wife. So I found a great frame only on ebay that was the most updated rear with the disc tab holes on what looked to be cnc'd dropouts. The seller didn't mention it, but when I got it it seemed a little different, looks like it might be the downhill model - has a 'DH' stamped under the rear swing arm. I'm wondering if anyone knows what differences the DH models have compared with, say the LTS 2000s (boomerang models).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bob82pigdog View Post
    TAOS1- I've seen a few shocks pop up on eBay recently. Also Hippie Tech suspension has a LTS shock for sale.Or you could try googling Risse Racing - they make a replacement air shock for the LTS.
    I recently bought a 1996 GT LTS-1 and the guy had just gotten the Super Deluxe shock and Rockshox Judy DHO fork rebuilt by him. Both ride great, but I just replaced the Super Deluxe with my Fox Float.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hello other LTS fans. I just picked up a 1996 GT LTS-1 in about 7/10 condition. I was so impressed by how it rode that I decided to completely modernize it. Once I get 10 posts I'll add pictures to this post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    where can i buy used Gt bikes at lowest price?i cant find it at amazon.com,maybe ebay?

GT LTS Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by gvelco View Post
    where can i buy used Gt bikes at lowest price?
    From your local Craigslist is where the LTS bargains are to be found apparently...

The sellers on ebay think the bikes they have now are made of unobtainium or something.... If someone offered me 1,200 large for my STS, I'd sell it too...

I've got a soft spot for a Trek y-11, 97 model and there's one seller asking more for one than what it cost new. They weren't even all that to begin with.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Shock upgrade

So, inspired by Ironv6's mod, y made one for myself, with a monarch R.
    Went to the local lathe "maestros" and with a rough sketch we worked for three hours and got the pieces (in aluminum).

I attached some pictures of the pieces being made, and then mounted.

They are rough, ugly, but the mod works a treat! The bike felt so much better climbing and going down.

Now, I will just polish everything so to make them look neat.

BTW its a 98 lts 3000, changed the fork for a Tora (heavy as f%#$), and almost every component is xt or xtr.

What can I say I just love the bike, now I want to switch to a lighter fork (keeping it RS).Everything Gt Lts-img-20130227-wa0003.jpgEverything Gt Lts-sin-t-tulo.jpgEverything Gt Lts-img-20130303-wa0001.jpg

rubber side down
    ^^I dig that Modification! Would like to see more pictures! Great looking bike!

I just scored this one....

Also have a set of Rock Shox Boxxers on the way....1999's. Gonna try and keep it era correct.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-lts_craigs.jpg  

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by bob82pigdog View Post
    So the LTS I bought turned out to be a little too big for me and definitely too big for my wife. So I found a great frame only on ebay that was the most updated rear with the disc tab holes on what looked to be cnc'd dropouts. The seller didn't mention it, but when I got it it seemed a little different, looks like it might be the downhill model - has a 'DH' stamped under the rear swing arm. I'm wondering if anyone knows what differences the DH models have compared with, say the LTS 2000s (boomerang models).
    Lets see a picture

Quote Originally Posted by letour32 View Post
    Both ride great, but I just replaced the Super Deluxe with my Fox Float.
    You want to sell the Super Deluxe?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chagolucho View Post
    So, inspired by Ironv6's mod, y made one for myself, with a monarch R.
    Went to the local lathe "maestros" and with a rough sketch we worked for three hours and got the pieces (in aluminum).

I attached some pictures of the pieces being made, and then mounted.

They are rough, ugly, but the mod works a treat! The bike felt so much better climbing and going down.

Now, I will just polish everything so to make them look neat.

BTW its a 98 lts 3000, changed the fork for a Tora (heavy as f%#$), and almost every component is xt or xtr.

What can I say I just love the bike, now I want to switch to a lighter fork (keeping it RS).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130227-WA0003.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	777399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sin título.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	777400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130303-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	777401
    Very nice retrofitting! I don't have the trunion mount on my LTS-1, but I still stuffed a 6.5 ete Fox Float on there and it made all the difference in the world ad I'm sure you've felt. It's amazing how after all these years, these frames still dominate against alot of what's offered out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    ^^I dig that Modification! Would like to see more pictures! Great looking bike!

I just scored this one....

Also have a set of Rock Shox Boxxers on the way....1999's. Gonna try and keep it era correct.
    Let me know if you need a Boxxer front wheel. I have a 20mm Boxxer by Ringle non-disc hub laced to a Mavic rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Easily the best full suspension frame I've ever owned.

rubber side down
    I'm part way though reading this thread. Some GREAT information. I did want ask you fellow LTS geeks about this one I picked up off Craigslist.

I think it's early, don't see any disc mounts in the rear...any info would be appreciated!

Can you tell the year by the serial number? Sorry if there is an answer in this thread, just have not completely read through yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-lts_craigs.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-lts_craigs2.jpg  

rubber side down
    So I was able to get the s/n off the bottom: 960069 S So this is a small DH? Top tube length is about 17 1/2". Bottom Bracket to seat post is about 22"

Doesn't seem like a small to me, but guess it's the 1996/97 LTS DH small?

It's okay if I'm talking to myself, just want somewhere to have this info. I'm not on page 5 of this thread....might answer my own questions

EDIT! Great info in this thread, just need to spend the time and weed through the fluff

http://mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1997.pdf

http://mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1998.pdf

http://mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1998-2.pdf

So from what I can gather on my 2 LTS DH's; My original one is a 1997 LTS DH size medium
    And the one I just picked up from Craigslist for $240 is also a 1997 LTS DH but is a size small, and why it looks a little different.
    I don't think I got a bad deal, but don't think I got an awesome deal either.

I reposted the above links from the middle of this thread....sorry but I geekout on this stuff.

although what is "rahmen" is that the DH kit with the chain guide?
    Last edited by TAOS1; 03-14-2013 at 11:47 AM.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Just a quick thought, your Craigslist bike may be a 96 or older. Note the cantilever hanger on rear triangle. By 97 they had gone to V-brakes on high and mid-level bikes.

It still looks pretty big for a small though, but then again, I don't know much about the DH bikes...never a hill big enough around me to justify one (or the 'nads for matter)

rubber side down
    I think you're right John, I have both bikes side to side today and the differences are huge! I almost think the rear on the craigs might be a replacement? I'll take some more detailed pics of the 2 side to side....

I love geeking out on this stuff and hope some of you all can help once I post up better pictures and measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by johntheroadie View Post
    Just a quick thought, your Craigslist bike may be a 96 or older. Note the cantilever hanger on rear triangle. By 97 they had gone to V-brakes on high and mid-level bikes.

It still looks pretty big for a small though, but then again, I don't know much about the DH bikes...never a hill big enough around me to justify one (or the 'nads for matter)

Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast