Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    That's cool that you could get the swing arm fixed! Can you grind it down flush, or would that weaken it too much? Are you going to paint it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HingeT View Post
    That's cool that you could get the swing arm fixed! Can you grind it down flush, or would that weaken it too much? Are you going to paint it?
    I am not going to grind it flush.. It was a crack and they just put a bead over it.. I will not paint it, since my bike is the polished aluminum type.. You can't see it since the crank hides it.. I am just going to put a chain slap guard over it..

yeah, its cool I can get it fixed... now I won't be to afraid to put more money into it.. I want to upgrade the drive train... full XT/XTR..

mtbr member
    It's the holiday's!!! Go nuts. Full xtr.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've attached a few crappy cell phone pics below of my build that I've finally seen to fruition after a few years in the works. Hopefully the weather will cooperate here soon and I'll get a chance to go out and see if I can avoid breaking my collar bone in my first outing on a FS rig!
    I like to think that most of the gear on her is nearly top of the line (period corrected) with some new parts mixed in as well.
    I'd like to draw some attention to the pic where the front derailleur should be mounted. I had both a top and bottom pull derailleur on hand for my buddy to install, but he couldn't figure out how to get either of them to work, so after the hour plus that he spent routing the cables through the frame (magnets involved), he just tied the cable off to the post, so I'm currently set up for a single speed crank.
    I'm tempted to just take the extra rings off and run a 1x8 setup, but I'm curious what products I should be looking for to make this a reliable setup. I've been out of biking for over 10 years now, so I'm not up to speed on all the latest and greatest setups and/or conversions. I don't want to jump the chain off or have other related issues. What advice can anyone offer?
    Any/all advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, and you all rock!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by miataeric1 View Post
    I've attached a few crappy cell phone pics below of my build that I've finally seen to fruition after a few years in the works. Hopefully the weather will cooperate here soon and I'll get a chance to go out and see if I can avoid breaking my collar bone in my first outing on a FS rig!
    I like to think that most of the gear on her is nearly top of the line (period corrected) with some new parts mixed in as well.
    I'd like to draw some attention to the pic where the front derailleur should be mounted. I had both a top and bottom pull derailleur on hand for my buddy to install, but he couldn't figure out how to get either of them to work, so after the hour plus that he spent routing the cables through the frame (magnets involved), he just tied the cable off to the post, so I'm currently set up for a single speed crank.
    I'm tempted to just take the extra rings off and run a 1x8 setup, but I'm curious what products I should be looking for to make this a reliable setup. I've been out of biking for over 10 years now, so I'm not up to speed on all the latest and greatest setups and/or conversions. I don't want to jump the chain off or have other related issues. What advice can anyone offer?
    Any/all advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, and you all rock!

Go back to page 8, post 768 and you will see how the derailleur is spose to work. Remember that Shimano make 2 types of front derailleurs. A top swing cage, were the swinging cage is above the clamp (which is what you want ) and a bottom swing cage, were the swinging cage is below the clamp. You also must get the correct inside diamater clamp that is part of the derailleur, so you need to measure the diamater of the short snub, were the derailleur mounts. I think it is 31.8 or it might be 34.9, i am not sure. You can see that the cable comes up from the bottom of the frame, so look for a hole in the frame,were the cabe and housing come out of the frame. You will also need the top swing derailleur to be a bottom pull (the cable pulls down). You should look back on these pages and stop at all of the STS type bikes to help you with your build. Hope this helps with your build.
    Last edited by doralswheels; 12-26-2012 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Its official. The last one of my four gt lts' up for sale on ebay.

GT Lts STS Thermoplastic 18'' Full Suspension Mountain Bike Frame | eBay
    Any questions, let me know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhead View Post
    Its official. The last one of my four gt lts' up for sale on ebay.

GT Lts STS Thermoplastic 18'' Full Suspension Mountain Bike Frame | eBay
    Any questions, let me know.
    Pretty frame.. how does that Cane Creek work.. any good?.. I prefer coil over suspension.. I find air shocks too harsh..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hartar View Post
    Pretty frame.. how does that Cane Creek work.. any good?.. I prefer coil over suspension.. I find air shocks too harsh..
    I didn't use it enough to find out. Only rode it probably two to three times and it was on the street. My fav was the fox alps 4r that I am selling. Funny, I find coils on this bike or any other too harsh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    how much would someone pay for this?

I'm trying to sell up some of my MTBs. If this is the last to sell, I'll keep it and go nuts on making it light for XC racing duties. I've got bearings already - so it'll last me for a long time.

It sits at 11kgs in current form with Crossmax SLRs, but I've worked out how to shave off more weight

- New Stem (currently EA50 to 3T stem) - 50g
    - Rear derailleur, (currently M770 XT to M972 XTR - 40g
    - Crankset (currently Stylo 3.3 GXP to M970 XTR) - 100g
    - Front derailleur, (currently M770 XT to M980 XTR) - 30g
    - Front and Rear brake calipers (M770 XT to M980 XTR) - 50g
    - Shimano Durace chain (currently some old Sachs chain) - 50g
    - Cut off V-brake posts on forks - 50g
    - Pedals (currently M520 LX to M980 XTR) - 70g

That means logically, I can shave off about 440g (yes, I'm a weight weenie. A 10.6kg GT LTS would be awesome...
    Current rides: 1996 GT LTS-3, Bianchi Nirone C2C, Giant Trinity
    SOLD: 2009 Giant Anthem X0, 2008 Orbea Alma Carbon Team

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Stoked!

I wanted to find a full suspension mountain bike for my wife (who am I kidding, a 2nd mountain bike for me) and I wanted to get something unique and older. I saw a GT LTS locally on Craigslist a few months back and started to do a little research to see if they were worth a hoot. I found this thread and was really surprised to see these bikes had such a following still. Not many of the other "vintage" full suspensions have that, and compared to the other bikes I've seen, there are still a good amount of parts out there to keep these babies on the trail. Turns out the guy had already sold the bike, but in the meantime I read through all 34 pages of this thread and searched patiently to find one. Finally, I snagged a 1998 LTS 2000 on eBay and it just arrived! I can't wait to get started on my retrofit/ upgrade plans. Once I get 10 posts I'll put some pictures up.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Bob82pigdog;

Congrats and welcome to the LTS thread..

And davevo_82... I wouldn't sell your LTS. Very few people would appreciate it in the state it is in and you won't get much money out of it. I say put her on a diet and see how low you can go.

Huckin' trails
    And throw some carbon wheels on it, you're gonna get way more bang for your bucks than all those fancy upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If anyone needs an LTS, mine is posted over on Pinkbike

I've also got a 91 Karakoram and a nice vintage 88 Karakoram listed as well.

Time to thin the herd a bit. PM me with any questions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy View Post
    If anyone needs an LTS, mine is posted over on Pinkbike

I've also got a 91 Karakoram and a nice vintage 88 Karakoram listed as well.

Time to thin the herd a bit. PM me with any questions.
    Dude are you serious? "the bike that started the GT mountain bike empire" Seriously an 88 Karakoram started the GT mountain bike empire? Nice bike bro, but there were many before it and many that were raced and ridden to more glory in building the GT early yr mountain bike glory. It had it's glory when named bike of the year by Mountain Bike mag in 95.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow IronV6s adapter is just awesome, does anybody else has something like that in order to use a regular shock?

Huckin' trails
    I was wondering what's the patents status on the LTS design and overall frame ? Thought it would make one hell of a fun winter project to actually weld and build one home-made LTS for one's who got the resources and time ?

And perhaps improve the design to make it even better, I mean technology has evolved since then. As for me I'm no expert, so I couldn't really suggest any specific upgrades to the design, but I'm sure you guys already have your list

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I was wondering what's the patents status on the LTS design and overall frame ? Thought it would make one hell of a fun winter project to actually weld and build one home-made LTS for one's who got the resources and time ?
    A standard patent lasts 20 years unless I am mistaken. It starts from the time it is applied for, not when it is approved. In order to renew the patent I am almost positive that the design must be significantly changed otherwise it expires and is anybody's game. That said, if you want to play with or make a design similar or identical to what GT did on the LTS, you are free to go and have nothing to worry about even if their patent is still valid unless you intend to profit from the design. That is where things get hairy for the one infringing on the patent.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

GT LTS Hoarder
    I'm in agreement with mtbnozpikr; Common sense would tell me that if you were to make a one-off LTS-type bike for yourself, any patent infringing would be irrelevant. However, I would also add that if you tried to market and sell your bike in competition with other bike manufacturers (yes even small-time builders), that is where the problem will arise.... You can bet you will get a call from the team of lawyers representing Specialized...

GT LTS Hoarder
    Well, while we are on the subject, I want to say that I don't have an axe to grind against Specialized...I just feel like the horst pivot had so much potential and when Specialized beat everyone else to the patent office, it pretty much squashed all hope and potential that it could have had for all of mountain bikers. It pretty much told all other manufacturers to find another way to make their suspension work. Granted, they did and we have a bunch of choices now, but at that time, it seemed like cheating us bikers out of a great suspension concept and the development thereof was just wrong.

In a business sense, it made sense to secure and lock in their future, but like racing regulations, it limits all that potential that could have been opened, if so many other suspension gurus could work and utilize the design...

Oh well...I'll close by showing my Titus Rockstar chainstay...it still wears a nod of permission from the "big S" to say it's okay legally.. I guess you could google the patent numbers and see what the status of them are..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-photo.jpg  

Last edited by johntheroadie; 01-24-2013 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member
    In case anybody is looking, I am selling some pivot sleaves and a fox alps 4r shock for the lts/sts frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi
    I'm from Portugal and i have one red GT Lts 3000 ds!
    I'm looking for the exploded view of the Rockshox Deluxe shock to rebuild mine!
    Thanks for this great forum!
    Regards
    Virgilio

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgilio Ara˙jo View Post
    Hi
    I'm from Portugal and i have one red GT Lts 3000 ds!
    I'm looking for the exploded view of the Rockshox Deluxe shock to rebuild mine!
    Thanks for this great forum!
    Regards
    Virgilio

I have that manual if you want to look at it.. maybe you will have better luck than I did.. my shock was blown out and no parts available, So I had to buy a new shock from Yasusu.. which is an awesome shock by the way.. I was lucky since I have a '96 and do not use a trunion.. if you have an email.. I will send you the manual..

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks hartar
    Can you send me your's by PM?
    I can't send yet pm's...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    sundoparamim hat gmail dot com

rubber side down

Lts-dh

I love the LTS. I had the "XC" LTS 1 and cracked the rear, GT sent me a XCR frame as a replacement. I also have my LTS DH from 1993;

I modified it for XC when I moved to FL since I broke my XCR and waited forever for the replacement from then Pacific Cycles. I just pulled it out this weekend and cleaned it up. So stoked to take it to the freeride area at Markham Park in Sunrise FL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-chris_lts.jpg  

Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast