Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morlysafer View Post
    Saw this on my local craiglist and thought I would share, looks clean.

GT LTS 2000 FULL SUSPENSION MOUNTAIN BIKE
    Seems like a little too much for that bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think I have a LTS or a STS but can tell which is which. SN reads: 029600280 18 Want to post pics but need a few more posts!

GT LTS Hoarder
    It's easy:

LTS = Aluminum
    STS = Thermoplastic

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hello LTS enthusiasts! Beginner rider here wondering if I could get some info on my newly acquired GT. I picked it up for $125 from a friend. I am still unsure if it is a LTS or a STS or what series, but in any case it could use some work. Seems like it has some good components on it but the front gear (name?) has some rock guard and a chain guide but it seems like the chain jumps off like crazy! Also the Rockshox Duke SL seems to be real squishy and may need a rebuild. What about those brakes and shifter?, any good?

Any additional info would be great!

SN: 029600280 18

Kooka stem and crank arms
    Cane creek headset
    Risse Racing rear shock

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Looks like a '96 STS. Assuming the frame's in good shape I'd say you got a good deal. The Risse rear shock is a nice upgrade. Fortunately, if the rear shock's bad it's an easy replacement for you since your STS doesn't have the trunion mounted shock of the later STSs and LTSs. I'm not familiar with bash guard/chain tensioner setups, but your jumping chain could be from a bent or worn front sprocket, or misalignment somewhere in the drivetrain. Also, looks like the dropout might not fit quite right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    By dropout I meant the derailleur hanger. Just had a look at mine (98 STS) and there's a similar, if somewhat smaller gap. Yours has probably just seen more use than mine...

mtbr member
    If anyone is interested, I posted a video on YouTube of dissecting a 1997 GT LTS-5 elastomer rear shock.

It wont let me post a link to the video since my post count is less than 10. Whatever... Just search YouTube for "GT LTS-5 Elastomer Rear Shock Disassembly/Assembly"

It toasted. My current plan is to get a elastomer rear shock from a 1996 LTS-3 and swap some parts to make it fit the LTS-5. I have read a couple places that this is possible.
    After I get the rear shock fixed, then I am going to take a look at the forks. I think they may need some work too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HingeT View Post
    If anyone is interested, I posted a video on YouTube of dissecting a 1997 GT LTS-5 elastomer rear shock.

It wont let me post a link to the video since my post count is less than 10. Whatever... Just search YouTube for "GT LTS-5 Elastomer Rear Shock Disassembly/Assembly"

It toasted. My current plan is to get a elastomer rear shock from a 1996 LTS-3 and swap some parts to make it fit the LTS-5. I have read a couple places that this is possible.
    After I get the rear shock fixed, then I am going to take a look at the forks. I think they may need some work too.
    Here's the link for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey does anyone know if there is any way to get the rear derailleur cable back inside the frame? I have the rear brake cable routed correctly but the derailleur doesn't seem to have any internal routing.

GT LTS Hoarder
    A wire clothes hanger, tape, patience, and a bit of voodoo did it for me.

Take your seat tube out. Straighten out a wire hanger until it was perfectly straight and push it straight though the from the seat tube to the head tube. Tape replacement cable onto tip of wire hanger. Pull said wire hanger backwards though with cable attached. Bravo, you are done...

Wait, did you remember to put the cable housing on first???

Repeat process... but with cable housing on between shifter/head tube...

GT LTS Hoarder
    And don't forget the cable ferrule....

What, WAT???

Repeat process...
    Third time is a charm....

GT LTS Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    Looks like a '96 STS.
    Ditto here. The dead give way is the cantilever cable hanger that is on the rear triangle.
    None of the 97 models had a hanger on them. The only other option was if someone swapped rear triangles with you...

You got a heckova deal provided the frame isn't broken... I'd gladly give you your money back on it + shipping if you can't get it sorted. lol

Whatever you do, don't pitch those Kooka cranks in the bin.... people are stupid crazy about those... hint hint.... check e b a y

mtbr member
    Does anybody know where I can get new boots for the RST 381 shocks? Mine shredded.

Also looking for the adjuster cap wrench. Or is there another tool I can use to disassemble the shock? I am guessing channel locks would work, but I would prefer to have a proper tool.

And I am guessing I will need new elastomers for them as well. I found a set for $40, but maybe there is some place cheaper?

mtbr member
    Nevermind on the boots. I went ahead and ordered some Lizard Skins fork boots.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by johntheroadie View Post
    A wire clothes hanger, tape, patience, and a bit of voodoo did it for me.
    Well I tried the coat hanger, but what did it was some floral wire! Key word patience. Seat removal is a must. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Last edited by HingeT; 12-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.

mtbr member
    I put together another video for how to convert an LTS-3 rear elastomer shock to fit an LTS-5.. I hope this helps people with dead shocks on the LTS-5's. I think the LTS-4's had the same elastomer shock as the LTS-5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52qd3Z8cl4Q
    Last edited by HingeT; 12-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johntheroadie View Post
    It's easy:

LTS = Aluminum
    STS = Thermoplastic
    Not really. Mine that I bought in 96' was an LTS but was thermoplastic. STS came out right after.

mtbr member
    unbelievable find for that price. do you plan on keeping the 1x9 setup? if not put another ring on and run it 2x9 with a derailleur and you won't have to worry about the chain falling off anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey everyone! First post here.

I'm looking at a GT LTS4 on craigslist in my area. It is totally stock and looks to be in a very clean state. They are asking $185 for it. I've done a bit of research throughout this forum and that seems like a pretty good price, but what do you guys think? I like the vintage aspect of the bike and I like the idea of bringing an older, but well respected frame, up to speed with components and retrofits.

Please let me know what you guys think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My beloved '96 GT LTS-1 days may be numbered.. discovered a small crack developing on the drive side chainstay right next to the big chain ring.. checking with some local welders to see if they can put a bead across it to keep it from spreading..

Just wondering if you guys have a chain stay (or frame for that matter) for a 19 inch LTS laying around that you would like to sell..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Look for a good tig welder mate, it shouldn´t be a problem to weld it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hartar View Post
    My beloved '96 GT LTS-1 days may be numbered.. discovered a small crack developing on the drive side chainstay right next to the big chain ring.. checking with some local welders to see if they can put a bead across it to keep it from spreading..

Just wondering if you guys have a chain stay (or frame for that matter) for a 19 inch LTS laying around that you would like to sell..
    I have an 18" thermo that I just stripped down that I am planning on listing soon on ebay. Just haven't found the time. Has a risse air shock. Have an alps 4r spare practically new as a spare and all titanium bolt for all pivots. Ti. bottom bracket as well.
    Gonna try to list it next week off of work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhead View Post
    I have an 18" thermo that I just stripped down that I am planning on listing soon on ebay. Just haven't found the time. Has a risse air shock. Have an alps 4r spare practically new as a spare and all titanium bolt for all pivots. Ti. bottom bracket as well.
    Gonna try to list it next week off of work.
    cool!! I will be looking for it. I found someone to weld my swingarm.. hopefully it will turn out okay... his work looks real good..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    got my swingarm/chainstay fixed!! looks real good and charged $50.. they fixed the crack and also built up where the chain and chainring grinded the chainstay down over the years..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-swingarmfix.jpg  

Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast