Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast
    Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelZHsee View Post
    attached is a pic of one of my 1999 GT LTS 2000 ds,it comes with STX rc/LX/XT groupset but the current LX shifters/rapidfire seems to be out of order..not sure if it can be fix or repaired..also i was wondering if any of the newer groupset which comes with 9 or 10 speed can be fitted to this frame?

an advice or suggestion is much appreciated and thanks
    I don't know this exact bike well, but I don't think you should have problem replacing your shifters with new SLX/XT/XTR ones unless they are a combo with the brake levers. There is still some old LX 9 speed shifters around, like at JensonUSA if that's what you want.

Regarding a full groupset, I don't think you'd be running into trouble either, as long as you make sure to get all your parts right. The only problem I could potentially see might be your front derailleur (LTS frames were sometimes "specials") and your current bottom bracket (BB).
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelZHsee View Post
    attached is a pic of one of my 1999 GT LTS 2000 ds,it comes with STX rc/LX/XT groupset but the current LX shifters/rapidfire seems to be out of order..not sure if it can be fix or repaired..also i was wondering if any of the newer groupset which comes with 9 or 10 speed can be fitted to this frame?

an advice or suggestion is much appreciated and thanks
    Sometimes shifters can be repaired, but when they are older (if yours are original) then internal parts might be difficult to find and effort/cost not worth it. You may want to try cleaning out the shifters, as they can get gummed up with dirt over the years.

As far as putting a new groupset on the bike, should not be a problem at all. Your limitation might be in the gearing, if you have seven speed it might limit you due to the hub wanting only a seven speed cassette attached to it. If you have eight speed the spacing will handle all newer cassettes. As far as shifters and derailleurs they will all work, just bolt on and enjoy.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Sometimes shifters can be repaired, but when they are older (if yours are original) then internal parts might be difficult to find and effort/cost not worth it. You may want to try cleaning out the shifters, as they can get gummed up with dirt over the years.

As far as putting a new groupset on the bike, should not be a problem at all. Your limitation might be in the gearing, if you have seven speed it might limit you due to the hub wanting only a seven speed cassette attached to it. If you have eight speed the spacing will handle all newer cassettes. As far as shifters and derailleurs they will all work, just bolt on and enjoy.
    Thanks a million for the suggestion and advice mate,yeah i will look into it and see if the shifters can be fix,the current that im using is an 8 speed drivetrain.

ok say if i were to go with only replacing a new 10 speed shifter,and the hub that im using currently are 8 speed,as you have mentioned above that it will handle all the newer cassettes,does that mean it can handle 10 speed cassettes too? also would the current 8 speed rear derailleur be compatible when it comes to 10 speed ratio?

thanks again

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I don't know this exact bike well, but I don't think you should have problem replacing your shifters with new SLX/XT/XTR ones unless they are a combo with the brake levers. There is still some old LX 9 speed shifters around, like at JensonUSA if that's what you want.

Regarding a full groupset, I don't think you'd be running into trouble either, as long as you make sure to get all your parts right. The only problem I could potentially see might be your front derailleur (LTS frames were sometimes "specials") and your current bottom bracket (BB).
    thanks a lot David C,i will look into this as well,im sure the shifters have become wonky but not concrete about the FD and the RD,i can see that the cable that attached to the RD has worn out as well.

i wasnt very familiar with LTS as well as i got this bike from a friend for USD250, converted from Ringgit Malaysia 800,used to ride a lot back in the 90's, but as i moved to another city for career advancement for 8 years,i left those mountain bikes behind as theres no suitable routes around to ride(highway everywhere) ,i came back to my hometown early last month,i decided to ride again after i realized that the state government has converted the city to a cycling state.Im trying to catch up with the bicycle updates especially on mountain bikes where i have left more than a decade,so much has changed in the bicycle industry and all my bikes are retros now..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelZHsee
    ok say if i were to go with only replacing a new 10 speed shifter,and the hub that im using currently are 8 speed,as you have mentioned above that it will handle all the newer cassettes,does that mean it can handle 10 speed cassettes too? also would the current 8 speed rear derailleur be compatible when it comes to 10 speed ratio?

thanks again
    Your question is very common; and it's no surprise given the planned obsolescence of Shimano and SRAM. In sum...

Your current hub (technically it's a freehub) will have the correct width for 8- 9- and even 10-speed cassettes as these all have the same cassette width. However, you will need the corresponding shifter in order to properly shift the rear derailleur as the spacing between the cogs is different from 8- to 9- to 10-speed systems. Your current derailleur will work with Shimano 8- and 9-speed shifters and also with SRAM Attack shifters. If you decide to go 10-speed, you'll need a 10-speed specific shifter AND derailleur as well because 10-speed mountain grouppos have a different cable pull ratio than 8- and 9-speed grouppos.

Lots of info over on the drivetrain sub-forum if you have the time to browse the threads.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I did replace the elastomer on my LTS-4 (thanks for the link!!) and its back operational.

I stopped by a local bike shop today, looking at some of the new Trek bikes. I mentioned to the sales guy I have an old GT LTS-4 I was considering selling. He seemed to be intrested when he heard its an LTS. I have no idea what it might be worth, maybe some one can chime in?? It has one season use, prolly 150 miles if that. Other than needing a good cleaning, its in very good condition. I know its the low end version of the LTS line, just looking for an idea.

Pic of said bike... (same pic)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-lts-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'd there a plac on the forum to sale bikes? I have a 98 Lts. Any ideas on a fair price to sell it for? Its been sitting for several years.

Huckin' trails
    Yup, at the top of the page, you have a link for the MTBR classified
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    started on my 96 LTS build this week... need to keep adding one liners until I'm allowed to post pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Decided to keep the LTS, I know its a bottom line elastomer model but ya know. Stripping it down so I can clea her upn and put back to the origional condition. whatever lol...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

elastomer to shock conversion

can you convert the elastomer frame to a normal shock version is this possible ? has anybody done it

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Frame size

Hello all,
    Looking for a project LTS/STS frame, but quite sure what is the right frame size for me. Im 62". What size frames are you guys riding?
    Have not decided, whether to get DS or XC frame.
    Thanks for any replies.

Clydesdale Sam

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Rebuilding GT LTS-1

Hey guys,

I am alomost done with updating my older 1996 GT LTS-1!!!
    I have had so much fun re-building this bike!!

But I had a few questions before I'm calling it "done"

#1). Getting rear disc brakes??
    I have seen many different ways to install a new rear disc brake on your bike. (brake therapy, a2z disc brake adapter, ect.) But I was wondering if anyone has had good luck using something on their LTS bicycle??

and

#2). What rear shock I should install?, and what is the correct size?
    I know a few people on here have updated their rear shock, so what worked best, and what should I stay away from?

Please any help and suggestions would be super awesome!!

anyway here are some of my pictures of my updated GT LTS-1
    hope you enjoy the pictures.
    Thanks very much!

-Bryan

Last edited by volc0m13; 07-16-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: forgot title

mtbr member
    I'm really liking the polished aluminum. Great job!
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Where can I find the elastomer for a lts 4.
    Last edited by alltradz; 07-18-2012 at 08:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Probably Ben's Cycle who bought out a lot of the LTS and STS parts when Pacific bought GT.

GT LTS/STS : Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Ben's Cycle
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Gt Lts 4

There sold out, any other suggestions.

mtbr member
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    You can't be possibly leaving the rear disc on there are you? Just a little ghetto? Nice build however. Looks pretty badass

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Help with shock

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I have a GT Lts-2 1996 I think and I would like to upgrade the rear shock to one that locks. Can I still get one? anyone know a model?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    TheButcha - if you've got the same frame as mine, highly recommend the Fox Float RP2. I lock mine using the propedal settings and am able to adjust things like rebound
    Last edited by davevo_82; 07-27-2012 at 12:37 AM.
    Current rides: 1996 GT LTS-3, Bianchi Nirone C2C, Giant Trinity
    SOLD: 2009 Giant Anthem X0, 2008 Orbea Alma Carbon Team

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    See below

Quote Originally Posted by davevo_82 View Post
    Hi all,

First time post on MTBR - but have drawn a lot of inspiration from here.

My childhood rebuild was brought to modern day specs and is now 99% complete. The specs looks as follows:

Frame: 1996 GT LTS-3 Never built up before this. The swingarm has been modified to have a disc mount (thanks to GripSport in Melbourne, Victoria)
    Rear shock - Fox Float RP2 with Propedal (140mm e-to-e)
    Headset: Tioga
    Fork: RST F1rst Platinum RL
    Cranks: Truactiv Stylo with external BB
    Cassette: SRAM PC990
    Shifters: Front - XTR M960 dual controls, Rear - XT M775 dual controls
    Rims: Easton XC One with Schwalbe Rocket Rons 2.1s
    Brakes: Front - XT M775, Rear - XT M775 (mounted on courtesy of GripSport. Thank you Jon!)
    Pedals: XT
    Stem: Easton EA50
    Seatpost: FSA FR200
    Handlebar: Specialized Carbon flat bars
    Saddle: Fizik Tundra
    Weight: 11.3kgs

Last few changes will be:
    - Stem
    - Seatpost
    - BETD bearing kit for the pivot points (to get rid of the bushings)

Should bring it down to 11kgs exact - and that will be it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    sweet build! I really like it. I have been looking for awhile for a new rear shock and have had no luck what so ever. I'm jealous of your Fox float RP2

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by volc0m13 View Post
    sweet build! I really like it. I have been looking for awhile for a new rear shock and have had no luck what so ever. I'm jealous of your Fox float RP2
    I bought mine from CRC a few years ago.. I believe the 140mm shocks were used on the Cannondales..

To answer your question above about disc brakes.. I had mounts welded on.. And never regretted it.. I initially tried to use the A2Z adapter.. But it was too much of a hassle removing the rear wheel and the adapter kept on requiring readjustment...

So if you can.. To straight for a good welder who knows what he's doing.. Where are you located?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by davevo_82 View Post
    I bought mine from CRC a few years ago.. I believe the 140mm shocks were used on the Cannondales..

To answer your question above about disc brakes.. I had mounts welded on.. And never regretted it.. I initially tried to use the A2Z adapter.. But it was too much of a hassle removing the rear wheel and the adapter kept on requiring readjustment...

So if you can.. To straight for a good welder who knows what he's doing.. Where are you located?
    Sorry, I was on the mobile when I replied he above... anyway, try the below:

X-Fusion O2 Rear Air Mtb Shock 140mm 1-in | eBay
    Cane Creek AD 12 Rear Mtb Air Shock 140mm 1.5-in | eBay

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast