Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito View Post
    Just looked at the chainstay on there. Don't know if it's yours. If it is can you do me a favor and take a couple of measurements for me? I need the total length from front to back. I also need the width of the rear part and width of the front part on the inside. Thanks.

GT J
    Yes, it is mine. Total length from front to back is 13 1/2 long. Width on the front part where the bushings are is 2 1/2 inches (outside to outside). Width on outside to outside on the rear is 6 1/2 wide. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    WOW! That's the twin to my bike...my bike is on page 14, post 330

It's been on a few 2-3 hour enduros... held up very well, except for the punctures (Racing Ralphs EVOs)

Haven't had to replace the bushings yet... still have my BETD bearings waiting to go on :P

Quote Originally Posted by kimbruess View Post
    Here's my gt lts3
    I'm from sydney Australia.
    i just bought it in the new year.
    I got it for real cheap.
    my christmas present!

Bicycle Type Mountain bike, front & rear suspension
    MSRP (new) $1,300.00
    Weight Unspecified
    Sizes 14.5", 16", 18", 20"
    Colors Ball burnished, ball burnished/grey
    Item ID 62912

Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction Welded
    Frame Tubing Material 7005 aluminum
    Fork Brand & Model Rock Shox Indy XC
    Fork Material Magnesium, triple-clamp crown
    Rear Shock Rock Shox Deluxe

Components
    Component Group Shimano STX-RC
    Brakeset Shimano Deore LX V-Brake brakes, Shimano Deore LX levers
    Shift Levers Shimano STX-RC RapidFire SL
    Front Derailleur Shimano STX top-swing, bottom-pull/clamp-on 31.8 mm
    Rear Derailleur Shimano STX-RC
    Crankset SR Apex 350, 22/32/42 teeth
    Pedals Aluminum cage w/clips & straps
    Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-LP26, 113 mm spindle
    BB Shell Width 73mm English
    Rear Cogs 8-speed, 11 - 30 teeth
    Chain Shimano CN-IG31, 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost Aluminum micro-adjust, 27.0 mm diameter
    Saddle WTB SST, hollow chromoly rails, w/kevlar sides
    Handlebar boa
    Handlebar Extensions Not included
    Handlebar Stem Aluminum
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless Tioga

Wheels
    Hubs Front: Shimano STX suspension, Rear: Shimano STX-RC
    Rims Mavic 238, 32-hole
    Tires 26 x 2.10" WTB VelociRaptor
    Spoke Brand Stainless steel, 2.0mm straight gauge
    Spoke Nipples Brass nipples
    Current rides: 1996 GT LTS-3, Bianchi Nirone C2C, Giant Trinity
    SOLD: 2009 Giant Anthem X0, 2008 Orbea Alma Carbon Team

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Here's my LTS

Actually interested in possibly selling it.. haven't decided for sure.. fun bike! Looks like the DH version (pivot is behind seat post) and I believe '97(?).. I was told it is the original fox shock.. Everything seems to be in great working order so must've been well taken care of by previous owner..
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by wheelerj1; 01-29-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: add picture

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelerj1 View Post
    Actually interested in possibly selling it.. haven't decided for sure.. fun bike! Looks like the DH version (pivot is behind seat post) and I believe '97(?).. I was told it is the original fox shock.. Everything seems to be in great working order so must've been well taken care of by previous owner..
    That's a nice ride. I also have the 97 with pivot behind seat, but mine came with a rockshox "long travel" setup... I swapped that for a set of 2002 marzocchi z.2 which I polished...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice! What are the inches of travel on these dh models anyways? Also I hadn't read the very latest posts on bushings availability but are they still available? A bike shop told me they weren't (of course) .

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelerj1 View Post
    Nice! What are the inches of travel on these dh models anyways? Also I hadn't read the very latest posts on bushings availability but are they still available? A bike shop told me they weren't (of course) .
    Truth be told, this is the first time I have heard of them coming in a dh specific setup, though I don't doubt it. Max travel out of the box was 4.7" and I believe (perhaps what he has) there was a 5.5" setup available at some point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

New question here. STS or LTS? serial number advice please!

Hi there. Thanks for the great thread and so much interesting info!! I've learnt heaps already. But I'm hoping one of you real enthusiasts can shed some light one something for me. Just got hold of a complete(ish) LTS 3000 (serial no. S8IA00072) and a silver front frame section that has STS1000 DS decals with serial no 0196078 S. From previous posts it seems the LTS is probably a 97 or 98 and made in Taiwan. I now known the STS frame is made in Oct 96, so maybe a '97 model? BUT... i can't find any pics of an STS that looks like mine. It doesn't have the full 'boomerang' seat tube of the LTS 3000, but it is still curved at the top, with the section immediately above the bottom bracket straight enough to take a derailleur (with the marks there to prove it). Looks like the photo Wheeler posted above of his LTS. Anyone have any clues or can point me to info on it? Is it worth swapping the rear end off the LTS to the STS frame and re-building that instead? And what was the difference any way? Any info greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    I drooled over these bikes in ads in Bicycling Magazine in the mid to late '90's. I have a good friend who has an STS in mint condition (his grandpa used to own it and he doesn't even ride himself). Maybe if the planets align I can talk it off of him...
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heypete View Post
    Hi there. Thanks for the great thread and so much interesting info!! I've learnt heaps already. But I'm hoping one of you real enthusiasts can shed some light one something for me. Just got hold of a complete(ish) LTS 3000 (serial no. S8IA00072) and a silver front frame section that has STS1000 DS decals with serial no 0196078 S. From previous posts it seems the LTS is probably a 97 or 98 and made in Taiwan. I now known the STS frame is made in Oct 96, so maybe a '97 model? BUT... i can't find any pics of an STS that looks like mine. It doesn't have the full 'boomerang' seat tube of the LTS 3000, but it is still curved at the top, with the section immediately above the bottom bracket straight enough to take a derailleur (with the marks there to prove it). Looks like the photo Wheeler posted above of his LTS. Anyone have any clues or can point me to info on it? Is it worth swapping the rear end off the LTS to the STS frame and re-building that instead? And what was the difference any way? Any info greatly appreciated
    Dude, pictures paint a thousand words....The LTS is likely a 98 looking at that serial number. You can't just assume that you can swap rears. Have you taken ample measurements to assure that the bolt up patterns are identical. Throwing a heavier rear end from a Taiwan built mid line LTS 3000 on a thoroughbred STS-1000 doesn't make much sense but it's yours to do as you please.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Here's My 1997 LTS-3

After many years of not riding my full suspension rig, I pulled the bike out of mothball and rebuilt it with parts I had around. The LBS had some brand new bushing and pivots that were sitting in a jar and were given to me free. After installing the new pivots with fresh grease, the bike rides better than ever. As for myself, I actually perfer the GT Hard Tails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-img_0008.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-img_0005.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-img_0004.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-img_0003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metroaviator View Post
    After many years of not riding my full suspension rig, I pulled the bike out of mothball and rebuilt it with parts I had around. The LBS had some brand new bushing and pivots that were sitting in a jar and were given to me free. After installing the new pivots with fresh grease, the bike rides better than ever. As for myself, I actually perfer the GT Hard Tails!
    Looks great, probably rides better.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by metroaviator View Post
    Nice bike

You may want to install the front wheel skewer with the cam not on the disc side btw, but on the drive side.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi guys newbie here but been watching this thread with interest
    ok hopefully not too off topic but i bought my gt lts 4000 second-hand back in 02 rode for a few years but then family life/cars etc got in the way.
    anyhow decided to resurrect the old bike what originally started as a new tube and lights quickly turned into.. new gripshifts and cables,pads grips head and wheel bearings (and a damm good clean) .
    just had its first outing nothings feel off and its feeling great
    can see what year it was made despite reading the serial number but the rockshocks fitted are 96 stamped.
    any info appreciated looking forward to riding this bike some more.
    thanks
    jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-gt-020.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-gt-015.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-gt-016.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    wrong area lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    lovely bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

GT - LTS (help - which version is this?)

Hello all - Not sure which version this is as I bought it and I am not able to pick it up for a month (at parents house in ashville at moment) - its got a huge manitou fork.

Wanted one of these way back when....so i jumped on it.

It may just end up being wall art if to badly gone. and yes I go it cheap.....Used to belong to a semi prof. down hill rider (was story I got) - not sure on year?

Please help...

aaron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-gt-lts.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

GT - LTS (help - which version is this?)

Hello all - Not sure which version this is as I bought it and I am not able to pick it up for a month (at parents house in ashville, nc at moment) - its got a huge manitou fork.

Wanted one of these way back when....so i jumped on it.

It may just end up being wall art if to badly gone. and yes I go it cheap.....Used to belong to a semi prof. down hill rider (was story I got) - not sure on year?

and does anyone know what size it may be from whats shown......

Please help...

aaron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-gt-lts.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-gt-lts-2.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-gt-lts-3.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-gt-lts-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Noice!

mtbr member
    That bike does not look safe.

mtbr member

Wink Iowa Snow Drifting Winternationals

I just got home from the first annual Knuckleheads Snow Drifting Ride,
    I'd show you the pictures but lost the camara, I think that it happened at the same time I lost my gloves , one boot an Sox. broke my brake lever off, both rims are getting their groovy on. seats missing too? Wow thats what I get for yelling" Y'All check this out"
    Well back out to find all the surviours..

B.
    Buy The Ticket Take The Ride!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BKnucklehead View Post

I just got home from the first annual Knuckleheads Snow Drifting Ride,
    I'd show you the pictures but lost the camara, I think that it happened at the same time I lost my gloves , one boot an Sox. broke my brake lever off, both rims are getting their groovy on. seats missing too? Wow thats what I get for yelling" Y'All check this out"
    Well back out to find all the surviours..

B.
    Lay off the hallucinogens

GT_LTS_XC_AM
    Feb 2012

Original Owner 1996 GT LTS-2

I am a former off-road motorcyclist. I have raced motorcross, hare scrambles, enduros, and hill climb competivions. Mountainbiking is a good alternative during the off seasons. Here are some pics of my vintage 1996 GT LTS-2 that I still actively ride about 400 to 600 miles a year. It has been a workhorse for riding mostly cross-country and the occasional all-mountain. Love fast or technical downhills. It is a great balanced bike for XC.

Originally, the LTS-2 came stock with cantilever brakes, Rockshox Quadra 21 fork, and a Rockshox Deluxe rear shock. When I first purchased the bike, I upgraded the forks to a Rockshox Judy XC and riser handlebars. Over the years, the brakes were replaced with V-brakes and the internals of the Rockshox Judy with a White Brothers long travel dampener and Jud Springs. I setup the shock and forks for more aggressive dampening and stiffer spring rates for my riding style and heavy weight. I only had few problems with this model. The brakes are way too weak for power and resistance to fade on long downhills. I upgraded to disc brakes with full sinthered pads. The stock wheelset with Shimano LX hubs and Mavic rims, were too weak for my weight and riding. Upgrade to Mavic Crossride UB Disc for staight pull spokes and the ability to support both disc and V-brakes. The Rockshox Deluxe rear shock gave out after about 6 years of life. No seal rebuild kits available. Otherwise, still a good shock that could be adjusted for dedicated downhill or stiff for XC. The pivot bushing for the rear suspension lead to suspension flex and lots of "Creaking" sounds. Upgrade to sealed bearings from BETD in the UK. Very smooth.

Current Setup (partial list):
    1996 GT LTS-2 (Dual Suspension Bike of the Year 1996)
    Risse Racing Terminator Dampener Rear Shock
    BETD Sealed Bearings for the upper and lower pivots and the chainstay bearings
    Chris King headset
    Answer Aliminite handlebars
    Shimano XTR V-brake in the rear
    Salsa V-brake beafer
    2011 Mavic CrossRide UB Disc Wheelset
    2009 Formula ORO K24 front disc brake
    EBC full sinthered Gold series pads
    2011 Rockshox Recon Silver TK Solo Air forks
    (Replaced fork oil with BelRay HVI 15/20 Heavy Weight fork oil)
    Shimano 8SP XT Pod Shifters
    Shimano XT rear derailer
    Shimano LX front derailer
    Shimano LX crank
    Shimano DX pedals
    Shimano IG90 chain (still alive and kicking after 6+ years)

I look forward to any feedback, comments, or questions.

GT_LTS_XC_AM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-dsc_0055.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-dsc_0052.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-dsc_0060.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-dsc_0059.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-dsc_0057.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    God I'm a tard, I need to order some bearings already... I grease every pivot every couple rides, and i have re-tapped every joint at least one size larger at some point, mucho air and bomb drops make unhappy stock parts.

GT_LTS_XC_AM
    Feb 2012

Sealed Bearings for the linkage

The swap from bushings to bearings is an expensive upgrade, but well worth the cost. It allows for the excellent suspension design to perform to its fullest. The reward for the bearing upgrade, there is virtually zero suspension play, it becomes silky smooth, never makes noise, and becomes almost maintenance free. It took me a long time to pull the trigger for the cost of the upgrade, and wondered why I didn't do it sooner. The assembly of the lower pivot above the crank took a lot effort to assemble due to the positioning of the ultra thin O-ring seal.

For a short term fix for your bushings, use better tolerant grease for the application. I use a mix of one part BelRay Anti-Seize and nine parts BelRay Salt Water Proof Grease. This should stop the suspension creak, but not address the suspension play. BTW, I re-packed the BETD bearing with the same mix. The grease lasts for years and does not dry out, is water proof, and stands up to a lot of abuse in very hot climates. To be honest, I have not needed to re-pack the bearings, even after 8 years of service so far.

I share your frustration and the occasional embarrassment when the suspension becomes noisy on a quiet single track. I have been there. Try the grease first. This should also reduce the frequency of re-packing the bushings. You can get the two at any local motorcycle parts store.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm just gonna do the right thing. Go ape **** polishing every part of the bike, hang it on the wall, and go buy a new one. Reality is a new $200 damper, $250 worth of bearings, new fork with lock out, adding disc tabs and a new disc brake system, along with a new wheelset, is a lot of investment for a 14 year old frame that has no warranty, and is difficult to find replacements for... I'm on my third chainstay, and I don't have any more spares, writing a car program, and milling a new one solid would solve that problem, but is it really worth it? I'm just gonna throw a Benjamin in a jar every week till I have enough for a nomad.

Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast