Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 1069
  1. #551
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,941
    Glad to see you're back in the cycling groove. Nothing like a daily endorphin rush. I think that bike will suit your needs well. But unless it's "like new" you may have overpaid a tad for it.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

  2. #552
    Mountain Bike addict
    Reputation: kimbruess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    100

    here's one of my top notch elite bikes

    Here's my gt lts3
    I'm from sydney Australia.
    i just bought it in the new year.
    I got it for real cheap.
    my christmas present!

    Bicycle Type Mountain bike, front & rear suspension
    MSRP (new) $1,300.00
    Weight Unspecified
    Sizes 14.5", 16", 18", 20"
    Colors Ball burnished, ball burnished/grey
    Item ID 62912

    Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction Welded
    Frame Tubing Material 7005 aluminum
    Fork Brand & Model Rock Shox Indy XC
    Fork Material Magnesium, triple-clamp crown
    Rear Shock Rock Shox Deluxe

    Components
    Component Group Shimano STX-RC
    Brakeset Shimano Deore LX V-Brake brakes, Shimano Deore LX levers
    Shift Levers Shimano STX-RC RapidFire SL
    Front Derailleur Shimano STX top-swing, bottom-pull/clamp-on 31.8 mm
    Rear Derailleur Shimano STX-RC
    Crankset SR Apex 350, 22/32/42 teeth
    Pedals Aluminum cage w/clips & straps
    Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-LP26, 113 mm spindle
    BB Shell Width 73mm English
    Rear Cogs 8-speed, 11 - 30 teeth
    Chain Shimano CN-IG31, 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost Aluminum micro-adjust, 27.0 mm diameter
    Saddle WTB SST, hollow chromoly rails, w/kevlar sides
    Handlebar boa
    Handlebar Extensions Not included
    Handlebar Stem Aluminum
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless Tioga

    Wheels
    Hubs Front: Shimano STX suspension, Rear: Shimano STX-RC
    Rims Mavic 238, 32-hole
    Tires 26 x 2.10" WTB VelociRaptor
    Spoke Brand Stainless steel, 2.0mm straight gauge
    Spoke Nipples Brass nipples
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-sam_0393.jpg  

    Everything Gt Lts-sam_0392.jpg  

    Last edited by kimbruess; 01-10-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    My best No.1 bike is Trek fuel ex8 with Rockshox Reba Race.

  3. #553
    Mountain Bike addict
    Reputation: kimbruess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    100

    good bike

    Quote Originally Posted by GTLTS4 View Post
    Hi guys, read this thread and joined up. The last time I rode a bike I was on a BMX Redline frame with Tuff II rims. Many years later I find myself no longer working hard physically for the last five years and have put on a few pounds and lost out in the fitness stakes.

    I decided a bit of mountain biking would be just the ticket to get the heart pumping and strip some of those excess pounds so started looking for a bike. I checked out a few local bike shops but here in Australia the only decent duel suspension bikes I could find were above the $3000 mark and a half decent rigid tail with discs was $799 so I turned to Ebay.

    I found this baby only an hours drive from me and got it for $750, picked it up today and went for a quick ride... totally stoked with it. It is a custom built LTS 4000 that the original owner bought NOS in 2002 and has really looked after it, he had it fully serviced by the shop before listing it on Ebay and I have to say it rides like new. I am 6' 3" and 104kg so am very happy to have a steel cromo frame rather than an alloy one.

    I probably paid a bit more than I should have for a LTS4000 but it is in mint condition, rides exceptionally well and doesn't squeak at all. I also like the "in your face" red and yellow colour scheme, it got a lot of looks from other riders today on our local trail.

    I'll put up some pictures when I get to the 10 post minimum but if you want to look at a pic go to www (dot) 44gpw (dot) info (forward slash) gtlts4000 (dot) jpg
    I saw it on ebay.had it on watch list.yeah you really did pay 750 for it.Its got disc brakes.Its looks like a lot of work has been done to it. upragraded.Its has large frame which would suit your 6foot 3inch height.I wonder what brand front fork it has.
    My best No.1 bike is Trek fuel ex8 with Rockshox Reba Race.

  4. #554
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3

    great bike

    Quote Originally Posted by GTLTS4 View Post
    Hi guys, read this thread and joined up. The last time I rode a bike I was on a BMX Redline frame with Tuff II rims. Many years later I find myself no longer working hard physically for the last five years and have put on a few pounds and lost out in the fitness stakes.

    I decided a bit of mountain biking would be just the ticket to get the heart pumping and strip some of those excess pounds so started looking for a bike. I checked out a few local bike shops but here in Australia the only decent duel suspension bikes I could find were above the $3000 mark and a half decent rigid tail with discs was $799 so I turned to Ebay.

    I found this baby only an hours drive from me and got it for $750, picked it up today and went for a quick ride... totally stoked with it. It is a custom built LTS 4000 that the original owner bought NOS in 2002 and has really looked after it, he had it fully serviced by the shop before listing it on Ebay and I have to say it rides like new. I am 6' 3" and 104kg so am very happy to have a steel cromo frame rather than an alloy one.

    I probably paid a bit more than I should have for a LTS4000 but it is in mint condition, rides exceptionally well and doesn't squeak at all. I also like the "in your face" red and yellow colour scheme, it got a lot of looks from other riders today on our local trail.

    I'll put up some pictures when I get to the 10 post minimum but if you want to look at a pic go to www (dot) 44gpw (dot) info (forward slash) gtlts4000 (dot) jpg
    wow great bike mate. i have a GT LTS 4000 yours is heaps better condition. I too grabbed some wheels to strip of the ol pounds.

  5. #555
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbruess View Post
    my lts 4000 .more photos
    Hi. love the bike.
    I have picked up a GT LTS 4000 also.
    just wondering how if you have had to do any modifications to it etc. i need to get a new front sprocket and rear cassette. do you have any knowledge on what sprocket and rear cassette would replace it? becasue its a bike that is afew years old now. any help would be great

  6. #556
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by miataeric1 View Post
    As soon as I get paid again, I'll get my bike to the shop to have everything finally installed and tuned. Here's what everything is gonna be.....
    - '96 LTS-1 frame with RS Super deluxe shock
    - Judy SL fork with long travel cartridge and White Bros. coil springs
    - Cane Creek S-3 headset (new)
    - Thomson Elite stem (new)
    - Alpha Q carbon riser handlebar (new)
    - XT shifter pods
    - REAL brake levers
    - XTR V-brakes (front and rear)
    - Kore Elite red seatpost (new to me)
    - XTR M951 front derailleur (new to me)
    - XTR M950 crank 26-36-46
    - XT rear derailleur with red annodized pullies
    - XT 8 speed cassette
    - XTR cables all around (new)
    - Shimano UN54 BB (new)
    - XTR non-parallex hubs with Mavic M231 rims
    - Cateye wireless computer (new)
    - Oury lock-on grips (new)

    Still undecided on a saddle right now. I currently have an old, beat up Performance brand titanium railed saddle with a bent rail, but SERIOUSLY considering a Brooks Team Pro.....I'm not such a weight weenie anymore as compared to comfort

    What does everyone think?

    great work!!

  7. #557
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbruess View Post
    I saw it on ebay.had it on watch list.yeah you really did pay 750 for it.Its got disc brakes.Its looks like a lot of work has been done to it. upragraded.Its has large frame which would suit your 6foot 3inch height.I wonder what brand front fork it has.
    The disc brakes are Diatech mechanical calipers with Avid levers. Front fork is a Rock Shox Ruby SL, rear shock is a Rock Shox Deluxe with 760-GT coil spring. Spokes on both rims have been bound. It does have a lot of upgrades, it was custom built by Cycle Science in Croydon from the frame up I was told by the original owner.

    It rides really tight... and when I say it is in mint condition I ain't kidding... it looks like I just rolled it out new from the shop and I am happy with what I paid for it.

  8. #558
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4
    Well, the beast now has the new bearing/bushings and I have upgraded to a Fox Float RL

    Once this was done, I went for a ride from Thailand to Cambodia (the Fox rear lockout was very handy for the road parts)

    When arriving back, it was obvious that time had caught up with the original headset (unsealed bearings) where 5 bearings had decided that Cambodia is a nicer place to be. Right now it is at the doctors getting a pretty red Chris King headset, to match with the red hope stem and hubs.

    It was amazing how many comments I got on a 16 year old bike, especially after it was covered in red dirt and next to my wifes XTR on-one!

  9. #559
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13
    Picture time.... My custom built LTS 4000.



    Judy LS forks


    Bound spokes








    Last edited by GTLTS4; 01-10-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: spelling

  10. #560
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Nitrogen in the RS Super Deluxe shock?

    Does anyone have instructions on how to refill the Rock Shox Super Deluxe rear shock with oil? It is described as oil damped, nitrogen charged, and there is a valve in the oil reservoir according to the exploded diagram I've seen; does this mean it can't be refilled without specialist equipment?

  11. #561
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    40
    I was about to ask this same thing about my about my coupe deluxe shock.

  12. #562
    GT LTS Hoarder
    Reputation: johntheroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    185
    LTS4:

    Talk about "in your face"!! I don't think I've seen an LTS in those colors. Glad you are happy with the bike, but you'll probably find out sooner (rather than later) the rear shock is the weak link in the bike itself. Your bike is new enough that the bearings came standard and should last awhile. You gotta do one favor for us... either lose the bar ends and keep the riser bars or get some flat bars and keep the bar ends. I run both flats/bar ends or risers on my bikes, but never risers/bar end combo... I might get flamed, but that's my one and only fashion faux pas

    I wouldn't bother with disassembling the rear shock. Its basically a budget item and only suited for tossing in the trash once it's dead. I tried taking apart a rear nitrogen filled shock once before. I don't recommend doing it unless you know what the hell you are doing (obviously I didn't!).

  13. #563
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13
    Already got one of these on its way.



    What is the purpose of the "bar ends" ? I am assuming they are a type of bark buster ... stop the fingers from getting mashed on trees.

  14. #564
    GT LTS Hoarder
    Reputation: johntheroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    185
    Bar ends are those stumpy lil things that were really prevalent during the early days of mountain biking. They attach to the end of your handlebars and give the rider additional hand positions while riding. They come in especially handy when getting cramps in your hands or while climbing.

    Riser handlebars are much more in fashion currently, although some die-hard cross country riders still have bar ends. Some people say they are trying to make a comeback, but until I start seeing them back on Treks, I say they aren't "Kewl enough".

    On a personal note, I like them. The only time I didn't like mine was when it snagged a dangling vine and I subsequently crashed as a result. lol

    Good call on the shock. You are already thinking ahead. Enjoy the ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-barends.jpg  


  15. #565
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by GTLTS4 View Post
    Already got one of these on its way.



    What is the purpose of the "bar ends" ? I am assuming they are a type of bark buster ... stop the fingers from getting mashed on trees.
    Mmm, the elegance of a bolt on part! Almost makes the ol' mill seem tedious.

  16. #566
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by jebel View Post
    Does anyone have instructions on how to refill the Rock Shox Super Deluxe rear shock with oil? It is described as oil damped, nitrogen charged, and there is a valve in the oil reservoir according to the exploded diagram I've seen; does this mean it can't be refilled without specialist equipment?
    I have a copy of the service manual for the Super Deluxe. I would say it's NOT a D.I.Y. job. There is a small amount of high pressure nitrogen in there.

    I have sent mine back to RS for service before. I think it was maybe $75, but it was several years ago. I remember it took way longer than promised, so I snagged a spare shock in case I ever had to remove it again.

  17. #567
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy View Post
    I have a copy of the service manual for the Super Deluxe. I would say it's NOT a D.I.Y. job. There is a small amount of high pressure nitrogen in there.
    I wondered why nitrogen was used? Probably only because it is moisture-free. I can think of ways round that. If I'm only going to bin the shock, I don't see why I shouldn't have a go at refilling it with oil. It might not even need depressurizing. Any chance that the manual could be made available?
    Would there any point in buying a replacement RS shock, since they will all be over 10 years old by now?
    Were they that bad? Only higher-end shocks seem to have compression and rebound adjustment. The X-Fusion shock that I might have to use instead doesn't have either.

  18. #568
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by jebel View Post
    I wondered why nitrogen was used? Probably only because it is moisture-free. I can think of ways round that. If I'm only going to bin the shock, I don't see why I shouldn't have a go at refilling it with oil. It might not even need depressurizing. Any chance that the manual could be made available?
    Would there any point in buying a replacement RS shock, since they will all be over 10 years old by now?
    Were they that bad? Only higher-end shocks seem to have compression and rebound adjustment. The X-Fusion shock that I might have to use instead doesn't have either.
    I think nitrogen maintains it's pressure when the temp changes, that's why it's used in shocks (and now tires).

    I'll dig out the manual and see if I can scan it at work. Not sure if I can post a pdf here.

    The shocks weren't bad and it's what the bike was designed around. I didn't find the damping adjustments to make much of a difference. What does make a difference is the spring rate. The 16" frame came with a 700 lb spring, which is great if you weigh 150-160 lbs. One of the things you can get when you send it back to RS is a different weight spring. I found that putting a 750# spring made a big difference in plushness - I was bottoming out the 700# too easy. I suspect that's a problem a lot of people have and they try to compensate by upping the preload and compression damping, which is likely the cause of the shock failures to begin with.

    I think the springs come in 650, 700, 750, and 800 lb rates.

    Might be worth an email/call to RS to se if they still service these shocks before you (potentially) trash it.

    btw, I haven't ridden my LTS in at least 2 years. I'd part with it for the right price if anyone is interested.

  19. #569
    GT LTS Hoarder
    Reputation: johntheroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by jebel View Post
    IWould there any point in buying a replacement RS shock, since they will all be over 10 years old by now?
    I think that's a very good question to bring up. I have about 3 NOS RockShox Coupe Deluxe's trunion shocks that I probably won't ever use for that very reason. They may last a long time, or they may not. I just don't know. I have a fox float on a custom trunion on my STS now.

  20. #570
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    460

    RS Deluxe / Super Deluxe Owners & Service manuals

    Attached for anyone who can use them are the Deluxe/Super Deluxe manuals.
    My apologies for the dark, blurry illustrations but the scan was from a photocopy of the original manual. The original is a 5"x8" booklet, and it was enlarged to 8.5x11 in the copying process.

    Note that the manual does call for specialized tools and that the shocks are pressurized at 175psi, so be careful if you decide to take one apart!

    There's a very small file size limit here, so I had to break it into 4 parts. If anyone wants it as one file, PM me your email address.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  21. #571
    mtbr member
    Reputation: loggerhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    531
    Those Risse's are nice looking. Checked out a few from some seller on Ebay. A little pricey though for me to commit although they are NOS.
    I gave up on bar ends after a similar situation during a race when my left got caught on a small tree throwing me off into some brush. I managed to still win the race but took them off following that incident. Also, around the same time a local rider was killed when he went over a log and his bar end punctured his femoral artery. He bled to death. I don't think I saw another person after that incident in my area using them again.

  22. #572
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy View Post
    I think nitrogen maintains it's pressure when the temp changes, that's why it's used in shocks (and now tires).

    I'll dig out the manual and see if I can scan it at work. Not sure if I can post a pdf here.

    The shocks weren't bad and it's what the bike was designed around. I didn't find the damping adjustments to make much of a difference. What does make a difference is the spring rate. The 16" frame came with a 700 lb spring, which is great if you weigh 150-160 lbs. One of the things you can get when you send it back to RS is a different weight spring. I found that putting a 750# spring made a big difference in plushness - I was bottoming out the 700# too easy. I suspect that's a problem a lot of people have and they try to compensate by upping the preload and compression damping, which is likely the cause of the shock failures to begin with.

    I think the springs come in 650, 700, 750, and 800 lb rates.

    Might be worth an email/call to RS to se if they still service these shocks before you (potentially) trash it.

    btw, I haven't ridden my LTS in at least 2 years. I'd part with it for the right price if anyone is interested.
    I assume from your statement yours is a 16"? I own 3 lts's and I'm always looking for more. I love their geometry for gravity runs.. I prefer the 19" though, I'm 6'6" 240 lbs, the 19 complements my tight agressive riding style, and tucked in my knees clear the shifters by about 3" at full spin.. if i ASSumed incorrectly, lmk the size, may be interested.... I went nuts polishing all my frames a couple years back, and now I miss the graphics, LOL.

  23. #573
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahZ View Post
    I assume from your statement yours is a 16"? I own 3 lts's and I'm always looking for more. I love their geometry for gravity runs.. I prefer the 19" though, I'm 6'6" 240 lbs, the 19 complements my tight agressive riding style,
    yes, mine is a 16" frame. At 5'9" that compact feel was appealing to me when I got it. Back in the day, everybody was building bikes with 140-150 mm stems, all stretched out.
    The LTS was point and shoot compact.

  24. #574
    mtbr member
    Reputation: loggerhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    531
    For those looking for some spare lts parts, I just listed some on ebay. Search GT LTS. Frames, seatstay, chainstay, trunnion mount, shocks, etc.

  25. #575
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhead View Post
    For those looking for some spare lts parts, I just listed some on ebay. Search GT LTS. Frames, seatstay, chainstay, trunnion mount, shocks, etc.

    Just looked at the chainstay on there. Don't know if it's yours. If it is can you do me a favor and take a couple of measurements for me? I need the total length from front to back. I also need the width of the rear part and width of the front part on the inside. Thanks.

    GT J
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •