Slowly but surely...

Eccentric or bottom bracket?

Hey guys,
    My ride locked up on me last night on the way home. I've got a 2000 XCR 1000. At first I thought it was the BB. But when I got off and looked at it, the eccentric was very sloppy. I don't know enough about the eccentric to know if somehow it could cause BB problems/cranks to freeze, or possibly it could be the BB went first and wrecked havoc on the eccentric. thoughts?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.
    - Juli Furtado

Nice day for a ride.....
    I don't see how the BB could damage the eccentric since the BB just sits in the rotating shell, but you never know. I'd say pop that BB out and take a look.
    I was having some creaking issues with mine (2000 XCR 1500) and thought it was the eccentric, turned out to be a bad BB. Just have to rip it down and take a look-see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Activate the suspension by pushing down on the seat. If your suspension moves and the eccentric moves as it is supposed to then most likely it is your bottom bracket. Look for sloppiness in both by moving your cranks out and in instead of rotating them to look for slop. Good luck.

GT J

Slowly but surely...
    The eccentric is defintely sloppy, though the dogbone is still in one piece. I'll have to get a crank puller before I can take out the bottom bracket. From the eccentric side, I was able to find cups, seals, bearings, etc to work on it with. How hard are those things to tear down and put back together?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.
    - Juli Furtado

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    They are pretty straight forward, once you have done it once, its easy i can strip clean and rebuild in a half hour.A quick fix undo the three small screws on the lockring then try to tighten the lock ring it may have worked loose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Go to this page:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/GTi_driveteam/

I have posted some files and dissassembly photos in there that will help you get an idea on what to do. You have to become a member of the group if you wanna see the files. You can always remain a member or you can remove yourself after you get what you need. I'd stay a member cuz there's always a chance you may need to go back and check it out. Good luck with the reuild.

GT J

Slowly but surely...
    Thanks GT J and Northern Soul. The lock ring did indeed come loose. I tightened it for the moment, but a full overhaul will be coming soon. I try to make sure I'm greasing all the bearings regularly, so here's one more set to go through.

Thanks again. You're great.
    - Juli Furtado