Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Downhill Forks On A Lts 1 Frame

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Bikin' Bric 
#1 ·
i just picked up a sweet pair of white brothers dh1.8 inverted forks 180mm travel. has anyone done this and i am wondering how this is going to effect handling. i already have 100mm rock shock so these are 80 mm longer. but they look like something off a tank and coul not walk away. i weigh in at 220 lbs and most forks twist and bend. not these. i included a oic

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
trailking said:
i just picked up a sweet pair of white brothers dh1.8 inverted forks 180mm travel. has anyone done this and i am wondering how this is going to effect handling.
I can see this ending badly. If I recall correctly the LTS was designed around a 63-80mm travel fork. Going to 100mm would make it handle a little slower but you could get away with it, but 180mm? Are you serious??? Think about how slack the angles will be and how high the BB will get. Now also think about the added stress / leverage on a headtube designed for a 63-80mm travel fork.

trailking said:
i weigh in at 220 lbs and most forks twist and bend
I'm 250 lbs, and I have a Reba SL, 100mm travel, 3.5# fork, it does not flex. I also have a Tora 318 Soloair on my "spare" bike, it also does not flex. What fork is on the bike to begin with?

#3 ·
Yeah your right there, i can also see it ending badly.

On top of the geometry issue, i'm pretty sure (and someone correct me if i'm wrong) but
the LTS frames, apart from the DH, were double butted and back in the day using triple
clamp forks would void the warrantee. So yeah i'm goin with not a good idea.

I weigh in at 234lbs (106kgs) and have never had an issue with flexing on RS Recons. I currently run a Revelation 150mm QR on my Force and it's awesome. If your really
worried aout flex go with a Fox 36.

#4 ·
i dont understand. everyone in saying bad idea alot of people are running 100mm.these are just 3 inches longer and with the progressive springs the bike settles down between 2 to 3 inches when i sit on the seat so bike is not that much higher i just do some trail and o little downhills nothing big. this frame is built up more than most frames made now. the welds are crazy.

the questions is if i was racing down ski hills or jumping off 15 ft drop offs that is one thing

what do you guys really think for a guy who does not jump. the main reason i bought these is they look and feel sweat. they forks are smooth over bumps and turns on a dime.

wike i said before with these progessive spring when i sit on the bike it sits down just over 2 to 3 inches so angles are not really that off.

i bought these bike new old stock so it was never riding until 3 months ago.

#6 ·
They'd look sweet for sure!

And yeah i'd love to see it too, just by the way you mentioned you flex most other forks
out i figured you must ride fairly hard, since i'm heavier and ride very hard and don't have
much of an issue with flex.

And yeah it is only three inches more travel, but when your starting with 4 inches it's
almost double, so yeah it is a big increase in travel and will effect your handling wether
it sags 2 to 3 inches or not.

Feel free to put them on there, and make sure you post pics because that would look
awesome!!!! But just be very carefull riding it ok. I'd just hate to see you trash your bike
and possibly hurt yourself at the same time.

#9 ·
what so funny, everyone one here is say you are changing the geometry and it is bad for the frame. well who cares. the frame i paid only $300 for new old stock and you can find on ebay all the time. i have been riding for a few days and i will tell you what yea it sits alittle high but on the trail having a pro fork that retailed for around $1000 and the 2009 version is $1075 soak up the bumps better than most of the x country forks out there. going over bumps and not even felling them. i can say these forks will save my ass and keep me on the bike than the times it will hinder me. maybe be on tight switch back and steep hills. so what but going down a steep hills and anns hitting big bumps and watching the forks take anytime you throw at them is worth it. the frame is not going to brake. and if it does go on ebay and find something . i see $2000 frame a few years old going for a few hundred dollars.

i am telling you in the last few days riding the same trails. i am riding better and feeling the bumps a whole lot less. going down hill into sand and the forks get me through were other people are having problems.

#10 ·
Hey man whatever it works for you. Nice to see these old sleds fairing well against the modern models. I too have a mismatched disk on my 93 Zaskar that would make people go ?? But it works great. If it rides good, then ride it! I do want to see it, as it sounds sweet. Just watch the welds like others recommend.

#11 ·
i am sending these to white brothers and they are going to put heavey spring in cut down 3 inches and fine tune. so they will sit just above normal height . white bros small company everytime i call take to same operator and same tech. they are going to custom this fork for me and at very little money. going to be a ture one of a kind fork big beefy downhill fork technology cut down and lowered for more trail and light downhill riding. i will post pics soon.

#13 ·
You asked the question......

trailking said:
i am wondering how this is going to effect handling.
Got multiple answers........

RatchAttack said:
Think about how slack the angles will be and how high the BB will get
Eatyapeas said:
On top of the geometry issue, i'm pretty sure (and someone correct me if i'm wrong) butthe LTS frames, apart from the DH, were double butted and back in the day using tripleclamp forks would void the warrantee. So yeah i'm goin with not a good idea.
etc...

...... and are mad at people for giving you their $0.02?

trailking said:
what so funny, everyone one here is say you are changing the geometry and it is bad for the frame. well who cares.
Keep an eye on your headtube and remember this.....
trailking said:
the frame is not going to brake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.