mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Downhill with an Avalanche 1.0 Disc

Hi! I own a GT Avalanche 1.0 disc, which I have fitted with Hayes Nines (8" F+R). I am looking to do some light downhill (if there is such a thing). I guess I would need to upgrade my fork, which is currently a Judy TT. How much travel should I go for? Any forks in particular you would recommend?

Edit: I can add that the frame is size L

Thanks,
    Andreas

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How much travel depends how much you care about the geometry of the bike. If you do, and you probably should, then you should go for similar travel. However the Avalanche isn't really a DH bike, and so the amount of travel might not be enough, so that might make things more complicated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'd say it can probably handle a 120mm without hurting your geometry too bad. But like the guy before me said, the avalnche isn't really a good frame for DH. I say have fun with it and experiment bro.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah. I actually have a 2001 Avalanche 2.0, size S.

I used to have an 80mm Judy C (almost exactly like your TT) on it, and then I just got fed up with it, and decided to upgrade. One of my biking friends couldn't stop praising Fox forks, so I decided to get one.

Well, I got a 140mm Fox Vanilla R. I knew that it would throw the geometry off a bit, but it was a good investment. It's not quite as good at climbing as it used to be, but it's FAR from the disaster that some people on MTBR insist it is. I have yet to encounter a trail that I've done before and not be able to climb a hill because of the long fork. Sure, it's a little more work, and a little more tiring, but you really get to bomb downhill.

I don't know how serious you are about this "downhill" thing. I mean, are we talking World Cup downhill courses? I hope not, because the Avalanche is not exactly the ideal platform to build a gnarly DH bike.

However, I do have to say that the Avalanche frame is quite robust, and that some light freeriding (if you're not too heavy) is definitely not completely out of the question if you build the rest of the bike right.

But seriously, don't be too scared to throw on a 120mm fork on there if you're willing to sacrifice a *bit* of uphill prowess . That's about as far as I'd go though (even though I have a 140mm) just because the Avalanche isn't really designed for super long travel forks, and I'm just worried about the steerer tube/head tube durability with a long travel fork. You could end up cracking the frame from the steerer tube simply because it's not really designed to handle the stresses of so much leverage from a long fork.

In any case, ANYTHING will be better than the Judy TT. Get that off there as soon as you can.

cup
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i think the max for the avalanche is 100mm ? so you might just wanna look at magura menja, Rs Reba or tora.. all seem to fall under the sub 100mm travel range.or you could always slap on a fox.