mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. Do the ZZYZX Forks that came on some STS's really suck that bad

Okay so I'm looking for a dual triple clamp fork for my tandem and since many tandems run the Hanabrink version of the zzyzx fork found on some of the high end STS's, i decide to ask you guys about opinions, performance, difficult issues like dirt/water damage etc, parts available, value, places to find them, etc

So what is the Scoop..??
    All my friends tell me to stay away from them no matter what (I work on them years ago, and I found them simple, pracmatic and strong), I like to think I can tame them to work somehow well, then again maybe I'm dreaming.

thanks for the advice

ricardo
    Last edited by patineto; 06-08-2008 at 10:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I can pretty much guarantee you that ZZYZX forks NEVER came on any GT product. An enterprising shop may have purchased a butt load of STS frames and then proceeded to hang some lame build kit on ithem and blew them out on the web but GT never ever purchased ZZYZX forks for OEM purchase.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtstar59
    I can pretty much guarantee you that ZZYZX forks NEVER came on any GT product. An enterprising shop may have purchased a butt load of STS frames and then proceeded to hang some lame build kit on ithem and blew them out on the web but GT never ever purchased ZZYZX forks for OEM purchase.....
    weird in the last month I have seeing 3 LTS/STS two on the san francisco craigslist, One of the STS's still on Craigslist
    and then is another on E-bay that now.

here is Link to the LTS

but maybe you are right and they never came O.E.M. on any Gt bikes
    So how do they work...?
    do they really suck that bad..??

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    they never came on GT OEM rest assured....I have all the catalogs from who knows when....

the reason those forks suck ?...the stiction on those beer can sized stanchions (the bigger the surface area of the fork lower the worse the stiction will become) was so riduculous that the forks never functioned properly....not to mention I do not think Hanebrink or anyone else for that matter will service them ever again.....they are stupid forks and no one should ever use them.

buts thats just my opinion....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtstar59
    they never came on GT OEM rest assured....I have all the catalogs from who knows when....
    Okay most be a Fluke or something, just look at the links i post, I try to find more if i can since they come up all the time.
    the reason those forks suck ?...the stiction on those beer can sized stanchions (the bigger the surface area of the fork lower the worse the stiction will become) was so riduculous that the forks never functioned properly....not to mention I do not think Hanebrink or anyone else for that matter will service them ever again.....they are stupid forks and no one should ever use them.

buts thats just my opinion....
    Maybe that is why the tandem riders like them so much, because they only work under really intense loads, but i ear you if, useless friction is just a waste..

Plus the bushings are suppose to be "hydrofilic" (they retain water and swell) and the legend say the seal are totally useless.

Ps: i have a bunch of well made White power "WP" motorcycle forks on my KTM's that have 50mm tubes and work amazing, much better than many other fork with much narrower diameter tubes, so i guess is as much about the contact area as it is about the quality of the product.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The forks if kept lubed and the uppers clean are generally reliable and durable. The bad reputation developed because most mountain bikers are LAZY to the Nth degree when it comes to preventative maintenance. Most read their fork manual once, see the 100 or 200 hour service schedule for full overhauls, then go a thousand hours before doing it. 100 hours comes up really fast if you do at least a three hour ride twice a week... that's only about 4 months of riding.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    The forks if kept lubed and the uppers clean are generally reliable and durable. The bad reputation developed because most mountain bikers are LAZY to the Nth degree when it comes to preventative maintenance. Most read their fork manual once, see the 100 or 200 hour service schedule for full overhauls, then go a thousand hours before doing it. 100 hours comes up really fast if you do at least a three hour ride twice a week... that's only about 4 months of riding.
    I work on bicycle shop for about 15 years and I got used to that fact, most of the equipment can last far longer if you actually take a few minutes to make sure they are working at their best.

Besides this days I have access to machines and materials that can make better bushings if they are require.

I guess I just try one and see what the bad reputation is all about, specially if I can get for next to nothing and I don't lose to much if does not work out.