Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Distortion Stripped Down Rebuild

4K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  wtwilkes 
#1 ·
Picked up a '13 GT Distortion 3.0 and rode it for a few months, before deciding I wanted to upgrade. Rather than keep the orange with blue ano parts (Denver Bronco's theme), I decided to strip it all down and start over with some new parts.

I just got the front and rear triangle back from the 'metal cleaners' and started assembling last night.

Definitely like how it's turning out so far and cannot wait for the 1st ride!

Will post more as I get it all together.

On to the pics!!!

Floor Flooring Aluminium Tile flooring Cleanliness

When I got it home

Machine Auto part Nut Vehicle brake Automotive engine part

A little modification for 1x10 setup/cleanup

Motorcycle accessories Space Bicycle accessory Circle Nut

Detailed pivot shot

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory

Looking like a bike

Blue Teal Electric blue Majorelle blue Aqua

Before DYI strip

Brass Metal Bronze Bronze Button

After strip

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
That looks very cool in the raw:) I finished my build just need some down table cable clamps as my frame did not come with them.
Got my first ride in , what an amazing climber and dh'er world of dif compared to my gt idrive5. Was a great ride until i lost my front pads on a dh section ( forgot pad retainer pin) . No crash just limped home with no front brakes.:madman::madman::madman::madman::madman:

#17 ·
Took it out for a shakedown ride yesterday. Had a few kinks to work out, but overall very satisfied.

Those Conti tires grip like crazy, even in the kitty litter over hard pack trails we have here.

Hope to have a shim soon, so I can install my KS Lev dropper post.

As far as oxidation goes, i think I'll leave it raw and see what happens. It's dry out here 360 days a year, so I don't think it will be a problem, not too mention the bike is super simple to break down and have it sprayed or polished.

Pre-Ride shot
Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim

#18 ·
LOVE IT.
What fork is that ? I have mars rlo44 qr right now and I've got a line on a 2012 fox float 36 rlc fit kashima for 400$ minty. I would drop the travel to 150 maybe 140 not sure though.Too much fork for a disto?
Sure looks nice and dry where you are.

#19 ·
White Brothers Loop 140

It's capable of 120/150 travel and for a 32mm stanchioned fork, it tracks really well. It's also capable to run 27.5 wheels which is why I bought it. Looking hard at the Kona Process 134 frame after renting one in Sedona.

I had on one my Lenz Behemoth 29er at 140mm and loved it.

I've never owned a Fox fork, but have ridden them on rentals and other bikes, and was not impressed with the suppleness and small bump feel.

In AZ you need that with all the rocks.

#22 ·
Yup they is a little portly. Mine weighs 34 as we'll although that is with a dropper post , 2.5 tires and , 435 g pedals 400 gram seat.
Still I find you don't notice the weight so much.
That is a great pic btw.
Right now I'm in Maui which would be great except I pulled something in back at the airport so I am laid out on muscle relaxants..
I got a fox float 36 rlc fit fork 2nd hand for mine which is actually lighter by half pound than my marz 44 32.
I got it lowered to 140, tuned and overhauled by the local suspension guy who set it up for my weight etc the fork was mint low hours and I got for it 400. Not bad.. Ooh and it's kashima too.
Downside is don't a wheel set that fits it so am now looking for a new wheel set. Maybe some crossmax six or st's..
Pills are kicking in now.
aloha:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#23 ·
ok I am home now and got out for a ride with my fresh retuned rp23 per the thread on ride monkey.com.
Awesome simply awesome, way better a=small bump sensitivity with less psi and a nice ramp up at end of stroke with no bottom out.
They did a the usual service plus upped my boost valve to 225 and added the fox .4cu volume reducer.
it was like riding velvet ….

#24 ·
in NEED OF PARTS!

I'm new to this forum, but i'm exhausting all options to find a bottom bracket link for a GT distortion. i have a 2013 distortion 3.0 so mines blue but i could care less about color. would anybody happen to have something that work would. I believe the GT part number from there catalogs is ATIOT4147 so its for force, sanction, and distortion but i don't know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.