mtbr member
    Aug 2013

cutting seat post on 2013 avalanche 2.0

hi, i just bought an gt avalanche 2.0 men's bike today, and the seat is a tad too tall. I was wondering if its safe to cut an inch or 2 off the bike post for a more comfortable riding

will it reduce the frame stability drastically?

thanks

newbie mountain bike owner
    Last edited by Dan Chern; 08-21-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Sneaker man
    can't you just drop it down inside the seat tube?
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Might be down all the way already.

Cut away. Don't take off too much, because obviously you can't put it back on.

Also, try and file down the edges of the cut afterwards a bit, just to deburr it. It will help it slide in smoother.
    Stuff.

blog hogs
    Feb 2010
    Check the minimum insertion line on the post.Move that up as much as you are cutting off.If you still have that much in your seat tube,all good.
    Ignore them till they go away.It's corporate policy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok thanks, there was a piece of paper on the manual that said do not go over or under the minimum and maximum insertion line else it will risk frame breaking, i can see how over-extending will cause that, but not sure on how fully inserting will stress the frame.

i presume this will void the warranty automatically?

also a hack saw and a metal filer will probably do the trick?

rebmem rbtm
    Perhaps you should buy one of your size, is the bike too big?

mtbr member
    What they are worried about is that you will cut your post too short, removingthe mark for the min insertion line, and then put the post in without enough in the frame.
    Stuff.

Sneaker man
    Don't know what the manual is on about, you want to take the minimum insertion line as the minimum as in you should always have the post inserted into the frame with that line below (preferably more) inside the frame.. It is not a maxmium. Lower away, no need to cut.

Thing is, if you need to have the post at that line (not lower or above) the only way to lower the seat is to cut the pole... at the top, and that aint happening as you're not going to be able to re attach the seat clamp. Only time this is different is with carbon seat masts which is part of the frame.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

Sneaker man
    Wait, there's a maximum insertion line? Don't think I've ever seen one before. I can understand having one on a carbon aero bike, or interupted seat tube FS frame, but not on a standard tube mtb bike. Does the pole have a max insertion line? Maybe its jsut a generic manual and including road bikes (I did crack my road bike due to seatpole meeting frame)
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    cutting seat post on 2013 avalanche 2.0-1097584_531198988805_1383942400_n.jpg

im gonna bring it back to the bike shop and see if they have a smaller size, everything pretty much fits perfect just seat is 2 inches too tall.

if they dont have a smaller size ill cut away
    that's the user manual i was talking about.

Sneaker man
    thats says don't put the seatpole out beyond its minimum insertion or maximum extension, these two terms mean the same thing. There should be a line or mark on the seatpole that will either say minimum insertion or maximum extension, or it could be just a line. all you have to do is make sure that that marking is Inside the frame.
    minimum insertion: means this is the absolute minimum amount of seatpost that needs to be INSIDE the frame for it to be safe
    maximum extension: means do not extend the seatpost past this mark OUTSIDE the frame
    It jsut depends on what terminology thta maker of the post put on it, they are just covering bases . Same marking, different wording, meaning the exact same thing.

Just put your seatpole down till it is comfortable. Job done.

Also I don't think you can cut the seatpole, well not in a way that would do what you want, you can only cut off the bottom, not the top, which won't help if you're not going to drop it under the minimum insertion line.

Just for reference the seatpole minimun insertion line is anywhere from 1to 4 inches inside the frame on all of my bikes
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

rebmem rbtm
    Here's my advice: Donīt cut it. Change the bike to a size that fits you or learn to pedal efficiently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    brought it to the bike shop to try and get a medium size, as it turns out, the frame fits me quite well, a size smaller would be too small for me. I'm just not used to the seat being high on a mountain bike, so he cut off an inch off the post (doesn't void warranty as it does nothing to the frame) and now it fits perfectly!

thanks for the replies guys!
    Last edited by Dan Chern; 08-24-2013 at 03:52 AM.

Sneaker man
    So what you saying is that you could not out the post down as it would not go any farther down into the frame? And the minimum insertion had nothing to do with it?
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm having this problem as well and would like to cut 1" from the seat post.

So it's safe to cut from the bottom of the seat post?

My seat post is fully inserted to the bottom, won't go further down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Re: cutting seat post on 2013 avalanche 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    thats says don't put the seatpole out beyond its minimum insertion or maximum extension, these two terms mean the same thing. There should be a line or mark on the seatpole that will either say minimum insertion or maximum extension, or it could be just a line. all you have to do is make sure that that marking is Inside the frame.
    minimum insertion: means this is the absolute minimum amount of seatpost that needs to be INSIDE the frame for it to be safe
    maximum extension: means do not extend the seatpost past this mark OUTSIDE the frame
    It jsut depends on what terminology thta maker of the post put on it, they are just covering bases . Same marking, different wording, meaning the exact same thing.

Just put your seatpole down till it is comfortable. Job done.

Also I don't think you can cut the seatpole, well not in a way that would do what you want, you can only cut off the bottom, not the top, which won't help if you're not going to drop it under the minimum insertion line.

Just for reference the seatpole minimun insertion line is anywhere from 1to 4 inches inside the frame on all of my bikes
    I bought a seatpost and when I install it, it seems that is just 15 to 20mm from the minimun insertion. Is it bad or is it ok since I still have 15 to 20mm extra inserted along the minimum insertion line.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Keep the line inside the frame and you will be ok. Installation of seatpost with the line exposed and you could crack your frame.
    "save a plant, eat an animal"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Re: cutting seat post on 2013 avalanche 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by NytrostarSS View Post
    Keep the line inside the frame and you will be ok. Installation of seatpost with the line exposed and you could crack your frame.
    Thanks, I tried it and I still have and extra inch from the minimum insertion

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk