mtbr member
    May 2007

Craigslist Avalanche Expert Help Needed

Let me start off by saying I'm a long time lurker and seldom poster. That being said, I could really use some advice from the more upgrade savy riders here. A couple days ago I purchased a 2006 Avalanche Extreme on Craigslist for $200. I have been trailriding for several years and decided to purchase a new bike rather than upgrade my current hardtail that has a bunch of miles on it's second drivetrain and fork. The bike I purchased, and somewhat regret has a prestine frame that almost looks NOS or was possibly a warranty replacement. With the exception of an almost new XT rear der., everything else is tired. I made the mistake of buying it just as the sun was setting and didn't look it over too carefully (ouch.) My question is, should I replace components (cranks, brakes, fork, shifters...ect) or just send it back down the road for what I paid? Any advice would be appreciated.

Nice day for a ride.....
    The Avalanche frames are a great base for building great bikes from. I've had a few Avalanche's over the years and modified them to my liking. Part of the fun with bikes is upgrading and modifying them to suit your style / liking.

It shouldn't cost you a whole lot to replace normal wear and tear parts like your describing, just surf around the web, places like jensonusa.com and pricepoint.com have good deals in any price range. As far as the fork goes, those bikes came with a Tora which rebuild parts are readily available for.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm the rare exception who prefers not wrench on my own bike but would rather just ride it till the wheels fall off. My previous bikes (gt ricochet, gt zaskar, giant iquana) were all ridden long and hard and components were replaced only when they wore out. I'm just wondering if it makes better financial sense to upgrade this avalanche extreme or just buy another hardtail for about $700-800. I'm a little mad at myself for jumping on this bike so quickly without thoroughly checking it out. You know the old saying..."if it's too good to be true."
    Last edited by irishmarc; 02-25-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Nice day for a ride.....
    You could probably upgrade it with a bit of money and it would be a better speced bike than something you'd get for 7-800.

2006 Avalanche Expert retailed for $1050 I do believe.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack View Post
    You could probably upgrade it with a bit of money and it would be a better speced bike than something you'd get for 7-800.

2006 Avalanche Expert retailed for $1050 I do believe.

I agree with this statement- if your willing to come off of 800 bucks I would say stick with the Avalanche frame, and upgrade it. 800- 200 paid for the bike=600.00 that is a hell of a lot of upgrades right there! take pics and let us all know how it goes!

L.R.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New question here. Avalanche 1st bike

Greetings. I am a new member on this forum, trying to find 4 good places to make replies because I want to post my question, which has to do with having my beloved GT Avalanche of 9 years stolen last week.

I liked my bike very much. I didn't know how much, though, until I have had to do without it. It wasn't perfect for how I use it, but I don't know what would be better. Now, I am trying to decide whether to buy a new bike (and risk getting it stolen), or find something old and beat up (and risk getting it stolen). Either way I go, I think nothing out there could meet all my needs. ?!

• I don't need shocks
    • I want disc brakes
    • I like click shifters
    • Straight handlebars are more comfortable
    • I like bar ends
    • Clipless pedals are a must
    • Separate chain rings are good. I habitually wear out the middle one
    • I have jandd paniers and need a rear rack. The burliest one I can find would be good, as I've carried as much as ~75 lbs on it before.
    • However, I prefer the kind of rear rack which mounts to the bike frame rather than going through the rear wheel skewer, as it's such a drag to have to remove the rack when changing a flat tire.
    • I like mountain bike tires, not the thinner hybrids

I have a cargo bike trailer from Bikes at Work. It attatches to the bike via a ball hitch which mounts on the frame triangle behind the brakes. It can mount on most any bike. However, frequently I wind up dumping the bike over while loading it up with up to 300 lbs of cargo (on top of the ~75 lbs on the rack). For this reason, I'd love a utility kickstand (like plescher?)
    The reason I joined this site is with the hope of getting some advice from someone who could steer (ha ha) me in the direction of a bike which can handle my trailer and how I use the bike in general. I go up hills fully and (more often) partially loaded. Some of the roads I travel are pretty rough. i go as fast as I can. A skinny tire doesn't instill confidence in my ability to keep from crashing.
    I'm sending out this cry for help as a reply to your post because you have the kind of bike I had Plus, maybe I will also get some advice from the more savvy riders here. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Too bad you're not in Oregon; maybe I could buy it from you for $200 and ride it into the ground for you. I really am not overjoyed at the prospect of spending a thousand bucks right now to replace my bike. I bought it for $500 9 years ago, so I got my money out of it, but I also put a lot of money into it and accessories. Now, I will have to re-buy a lot of items which I planned to use for life. However, I have learned a lesson about where and how to leave my bike unattended downtown in Eugene Oregon.