mtbr member

Cover Your Eyes: 700c Zaskar Commuter Bike

Frankenbike lives.

My parking lot is 2 miles from my shop and office so I built this up from mostly the spare parts in my garage. All I had to buy was the bar,fork, tires, and shift cables.

The frame, seat, seatpost, brakes, stem and headset came with my 2006 Zaskar Expert. I moved all the other components over to a NOS 2000 Zaskar LE that I got in December.

I had a 700c Kestrel carbon fiber fork but it wouldn't fit the cross tire, I got this on on Ebay for $15

The wheels came with my Kestrel Talon tri bike.

The crank, BB and pedals came with a Trek 1220

STI triple brake/shifters; my wife bought them for her trip to the Nice Triathlon way back in the day

Chain is too short and I have to ad a couple links later.

Stem feels too long, I have a shorter one to try.

I had to make extenders for the rear brakes
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That doesn't look bad at all. Looks sweet dude.

mtbr member
    Well, I've been riding it for two days and it's nice and dirty now. It's been raining in the Bronx so we have a lot of mud around and I took the trail through the woods today. My position feels just right and it's way comfortable. Best of all I cut the time to and from the lot to less than a third. This is Great!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    oddly it looks fine to me... i would think it to be a normal road bike had i not seen the zaskar wording. the bars seem a tad high

enjoy yr ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Were the 700c wheels a tight fit or did you have enough room? I've been wanting to do something similar to that but with and older frame and actually use it as a pseudo 29er rigid for the Oklahoma trails. You said you took it through the woods. Are the cross tires pretty good?

mtbr member
    The tires are Kenda Kwick cross tires; 700cx32 and they fit just fine with lots of clearance. I got them from Nashbar for $12.99. They seem to work just fine for my needs. I know I could have fit 35's and probably even the largest cross tires available.

I know that I have a huge amount of spacers but it's a steel steerer and I do have a 7 cm drop from the seat to the top of the bar. It's just a matter of using the frame for something it's not meant for. I'm glad to be using all these parts and now my cabinets in the garage a pretty empty with room for more.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Is it just me or does it look like he's applying the rear brake pads against the angled section of the aero rim and not the actual brake tracks?

Pretty much ANY 26" mtb frame can take skinny 700C tires as the inflated diameter of the tires isn't that much more than a fat 26" tire. But doing it with disc brakes makes more sense as you can just keep a second wheelset and do a quick-swap to convert your bike over for commuting.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Speaking of brakes, how did you get the pads to reach the brake track? Any pictures of the brakes and the mods needed to get them to work?

mtbr member
    You have to look closely but you can see the brake extenders I made out of one eight inch aluminum stock. It worked out pretty easy.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That's pretty cool.

I came up with a slightly different solution to the same problem. It's a V-brake made by FMF for BMX bikes but it allows you to mount the pads much higher than normal and it works great in this application. It's half the cost of the Paul's Components V-brakes that allows you to do the same thing.

You know my steez...
    Very cool! If it didn't say Zaskar on it I would have thought it was an off the rack CX bike! Nice build! I like the price too
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

Wanderer
    I think its pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Calling Kint...post up some pictures of yours!
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    nice one.

i recently did a 96 outpost 28/700c buildup as a ratbike / city bike . simglespeed too. didnt cost 200 $ alltogether - which was some sort of aim ...

however i found some cyclocross fork wioth 28" brake studs so i went with a v brka ein the front, in teh rear i fitted a nexave rollerbrake, both working with the deore v levers perfectly.

tires are ritchey speedmax (cross) 700x35c fitting well. you could fit up to 37 maybe 42, depends on teh tire. since its pretty hard to find semislicks in that size i took the 35, but for plain city use one could choose schwalbe marathons which are available in that size.

on the rear end one could use road caliper brakes as well it works with 700c tires and the hole in the brake bridge.

i personally like the changing riding feel due to the geometry, it snaps to left and right if you just apply some pressure to the pedals or the TT bar. its really a agile ride for the city, wouldnt go to rough terrain with this geometry anyhow.

however it looks a bit different now, i lowered the stem and attached another saddle and small things. this was the first ride.

sorry for the pics but the boards photo function is just awful, have to skale the pics down and all that is just uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Nice ride. It's good to see that I'm not the only spare parts junkie! Mine rides really well and I'm now taking on a pretty steep, downhill, rockie trail through the woods. I don't feel like going outside to measure it but mine comes out with the longest wheelbase of any bicycle I've ever seen.

To get to my downhill I have to go up a set of concrete stairs. Five stairs; each just long enough for the bike to sit on them. As soon as the rear wheel gets up, I have to start the next step. I haven't figured it out yet. Don't know if I ever will.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thanks. intention was to build a cheap city bike - something that wouldnt hurt my heart too much if stolen, but everyday and every ride my love grows. plus the fact that its my first sisp. and for the city i wouldnt want anything else. its so much fun.

i was lucky on the frok. its an eraly cyclecross fork, so its axle to crown length nearly the original 26" fork.

however theres the one geo change that i mentioned and thats noticable and thats the rising BB height. - that one inch more IS noticable which makes it unstable for rough terrain. i love the feel on streets but in terrain its just too agile for me.

and btw good choose to swap the 06 zassi for an "original" one

billyboy197
    Mar 2007
    I thought I was breaking the rules converting my ball-burnished Zaskar LE into a commuter but it seems I'm in good company. I originally had 700x23c tyres with road forks and brahma bars. It rolled realy fast but looked slightly out of proportion. The roads on my route are so bad I have now slipped my PACE RC36 forks on and bought some 700x32c WTB CrossWolf tyres to improve the comfort but I have had to sacrifice some of the speed. It now looks more like a skinny XC mount.

I did the V brake extenders at the back exactly like yours but the brake cable that spans between the two brake arms is a little closer to the tyre tread than I would like. Clearance to the frame is fine. The beauty of the RC36 at the front is the movable brake bosses so now the pads reach the 700 rims fine. However, again clearance is optimal (close) near the fork arch and the tread. I have had to put a restrictor on the fork travel or the tyre would hit the crown but so far I have not reached it with the usual curb drops and pot holes.

I have been riding this frame off and on for 10yrs (Since I bought the frame new) but I think it is getting more mileage per week now than at any time in the past. 22miles a day commute.

I'll get a photo of mine on later.

billyboy197
    Mar 2007
    Here's mine......

mtbr member
    Nice!

My problem right now is that when I try to ride the bike up the stairs and down the rooty rocky trail, with my roadie bars I'm too far forward to lift the front end. The stairs are out of the question, but it makes the trail a real challenge.

billyboy197
    Mar 2007
    Yes, it's quite a difference from my 5" travel trail bike with a 70mm stem. I've almost got into trouble on my GT with a 'quick' maneuver to hop onto the curb or pull the front over a drain cover. The front doesn't come up easily.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

My second GT

Almost finished...

Tequesta 20" steel frame
    Redline carbon, disc only cyclocross fork
    Campy Shifter/Brakes
    Shimano XT dreraillers
    Mavic Speed City wheels
    Avid BB7 cable disc brakes
    Thomson road stem
    Nashbar/RPM Trekking cranks/rings - 48/38/28
    SRAM hub 11-28
    Still in the sorting process, getting a JTEK adapter for the rear derailler

I just wanted a road bike I could throw my leg over any time and go on.
    Last edited by dabspok; 07-25-2008 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dabspok
    Almost finished...
    What forks are they?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

What rear hub axle widths are you running on the 700c rims?

Hey guys,

I have been reading the threads on the Zaskar conversion and the other mtb frame hybrid setups. I'm working a project where I'm converting a 93-95 Orange P7 frame to a fixed gear bike. I want to run 700c rims and it looks like i can get away with 700c x 32 road tyres which is cool (not tried it yet)

However Mtbs have 135mm axles on the rear right? Have you built up road rims from mtb hubs? I know i will need ot get a singlespeed fliptop hub, something like a surly or Goldtec do 135mm mtb width singlespeed hubs?

Am i right in my thinking or am i missing something?

you can track my project progress here:

www.orangeproject.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

GT Road?

The fork is a RedLine cyclocross fork;

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...fork-disc.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

nice bikes!

i have just built a Zaskar as a rigid s/s bike with skinny(ish) 26" road tires. its a ball burnished frame so i have stripped the stickers and polished it,and added some red bits for a contrast.

must get digi cam working and post photos!!!