Gig'em Aggies!

Components on the Force 3.0

I am looking at either purchasing the 09 Force 3.0 or an 09 Giant Trance X4. As I don't know too much about the components can someone compare these two bikes stock components for me? Both bikes are about $1500.

Edit: I am in the military and want a bike that can handle singletrack in any part of the world. I want a bike that can climb well but I love the reward of a great downhill run as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    First off, thanks for protecting our freedoms, you have my deepest respect. I served on the USS America 15 year ago so I'm more than happy to help out a fellow squid (or airdale). The Force frame looks sexier. The Force has almost an extra inch of travel. The Giant has a little better wheels, and in my opinion better brakes. They both have deore derrailleurs and probably cassettes. The Nevegals tires are pretty much great all around for both. The Force has a Suntour air fork, and I don't know much about that one or the Marzocchi on the Giant. I like the Raceface cranks on the Giant. I don't like the fact that the rear shock is a Giant brand on the Trance. That may make it difficult to get parts, so I'm going with the Rock shox on the Force. If you can work with your local dealer, try and get a Force 2.0 from 2008. I have one and I love the heck out of this bike. The upgrades on components from the 3.0 to the 2.0 is extremely noticeable and worth the price. You go to Fox fork and shock. That alone is worth the higher price. If you can, look for deals online for a 2.0, but I do recommend going with your local dealer since only they can take care of you in a quick pinch. I hope this helps man. Thanks again for your sacrifices.

GT J
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

Gig'em Aggies!
    double post

Gig'em Aggies!
    Thanks for the reply. Thanks for your service as well. I am a black shoe btw. I will look online for the 2.0. The only local shop that has GT's is REI and they only have the 3.0 locally.

May the Force be with you
    The GT is a great bike. I've had my Force for 9 months and it's been great.