mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Coil shock onto a Sanction?

Im wondering if it would be ok to put a coil shock onto my sanction, alot of people say coils perform better and i feel the sanction rear can be a little lacking.

I can get a fox van r with an i2i of 190 which is right but the stroke is 2.37" which is a bit bigger than the sanctions 2" stroke.

How much extra travel would i get and would it effect my bike in any other way if i did this?

Cheers, Jamie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironzep
    Im wondering if it would be ok to put a coil shock onto my sanction, alot of people say coils perform better and i feel the sanction rear can be a little lacking.

I can get a fox van r with an i2i of 190 which is right but the stroke is 2.37" which is a bit bigger than the sanctions 2" stroke.

How much extra travel would i get and would it effect my bike in any other way if i did this?

Cheers, Jamie
    By going to a slightly longer shock you will see your geometry change a little bit and get a slightly longer wheelbase (I think!). I am not a expert yet in the geometry dept!

I do feel that adding a coil to the rear of the Sanction has really woken up my Sanction. I added a CCDB to mine and love it! The ride quality is much nicer, the suspension much more plush, also the ability for the bike to act great over small fast bumps and bigger air is great.

I love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monty797
    By going to a slightly longer shock you will see your geometry change a little bit and get a slightly longer wheelbase (I think!). I am not a expert yet in the geometry dept!

I do feel that adding a coil to the rear of the Sanction has really woken up my Sanction. I added a CCDB to mine and love it! The ride quality is much nicer, the suspension much more plush, also the ability for the bike to act great over small fast bumps and bigger air is great.

I love it.
    CCDB, nice! How was pedaling performance after putting on the coil.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You cannot add a longer stroke shock to the sanction, I have tried it first hand and it will do funny things and hit the frame. Problems it will cause are not worth the extra 1.125'' of travel. Quality travel is worth more than travel # anyways. Your best bet is a Double Barrel 7.5x2.0. They work great with the sanction's high leverage ratio and can be tuned so that the rear end sticks like glue over rough terrain, has great "pop" off jumps & obstacles, and pedals very efficiently. If you can't afford the double barrel then a fox dhx 5.0 will work well. Call me with any questions if you want-920-733-0600 Ryan. Happy Sanctionings!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I am confused

What size rear shock does the Sanction take. I have seen 7.875x2.25 (i thought this was correct), 7.875x2, and now 7.5x2. Anybody able to state 100% sure which it is?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    All Sanction and Force models take a 7.5 x 2.0'' shock, any longer and the swinging bottom bracket bottoms against the frame and the bottom shock eyelet hits the seat tube. 100% sure.