mtbr member
    Jun 2010

coil rear shock: force and sanction

Has anyone tried or knows how well a coil rear shock will work with a Force or Sanction frame?

I am looking at installing a Fox Van RC and want to know if the suspension curve will play nice with a coil.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a DHX 5 on my Force, paired w/ a 160mm coil Lyrik fork. I couldn't be happier with the tune, though I must admit mine were rebuilt to my spec's (front and rear) before I put them on the bike. What I can tell you is that the coil did away w/ the mid-travel blow-through I was getting w/ the stock RP23. I like to run ~30-35% sag and run bottom-out one turn from full soft/linear (unthreaded from reservoir), rebound and 'Pro-Pedal' set somewhere mid-way; YMMV.

My frame is an '09 and I assume by now that the OE shocks would have some kind of custom tune to help with the mid-travel sponginess, but I haven't tried one. I'd love to try a CCDBA but if you've got access to a coil I say give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
    I have a DHX 5 on my Force, paired w/ a 160mm coil Lyrik fork. I couldn't be happier with the tune, though I must admit mine were rebuilt to my spec's (front and rear) before I put them on the bike. What I can tell you is that the coil did away w/ the mid-travel blow-through I was getting w/ the stock RP23. I like to run ~30-35% sag and run bottom-out one turn from full soft/linear (unthreaded from reservoir), rebound and 'Pro-Pedal' set somewhere mid-way; YMMV.

My frame is an '09 and I assume by now that the OE shocks would have some kind of custom tune to help with the mid-travel sponginess, but I haven't tried one. I'd love to try a CCDBA but if you've got access to a coil I say give it a shot.
    Great info Eric,

May I ask where you got the tune performed?

Thanks!
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Adrian Cortina @ CR1 Engineering did my shocks initially but I believe he may have moved on, unfortunately. I've used Push for years and have always had excellent results there, but they weren't doing Lyriks at the time (still aren't?). If you're looking for shock-only I'd say Push in a heartbeat; they've got a pretty huge database of frames/leverage ratios, etc., I'm sure they can sort you out.

While the custom stuff definitely makes a difference, unless you're really particular I think you'd feel a big change with a stock coil, properly setup. Make sure your spring rate is spot-on, too stiff and the higher leverage ratio of Force/Sanction will prevent you from using all the travel; too soft and you'll need a ton of preload, and you'll blow through the mid-stroke just like the air can.

As I said, I'd love to try a Cane Creek DB Air just to see what it's capable of. I have a CCDB coil on my Ruckus (new Fury-style) and it's in a whole different league from pretty much everything else I've ever tried. For starters that frame uses a lower leverage ratio (same w/ Sensors, I believe) so you really feel more 'shock action', if that makes sense (piston speed is a bit slower so the actual tuning is more noticeable). Every click of adjustment can be felt, whereas the Fox/Force combo is more of a ballpark setting. The Ohlins (Cane Creek) damper design has an uncanny ability to be plush (like I prefer) yet still soak up big hits like a pillow. IMO it works great paired with I-Drive because the frame design does not need lockout to work, and since I'm not trying to win any uphill sprints I love the extra traction and control of 'sitting in the squat'. Once that bike is pointed downhill it's like a magic carpet, and I'd love to know how much is frame vs shock performance.

Anyone tried a DB Air on a Force/Sanction yet? Maybe time for another thread...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
    Adrian Cortina @ CR1 Engineering did my shocks initially but I believe he may have moved on, unfortunately. I've used Push for years and have always had excellent results there, but they weren't doing Lyriks at the time (still aren't?). If you're looking for shock-only I'd say Push in a heartbeat; they've got a pretty huge database of frames/leverage ratios, etc., I'm sure they can sort you out.

While the custom stuff definitely makes a difference, unless you're really particular I think you'd feel a big change with a stock coil, properly setup. Make sure your spring rate is spot-on, too stiff and the higher leverage ratio of Force/Sanction will prevent you from using all the travel; too soft and you'll need a ton of preload, and you'll blow through the mid-stroke just like the air can.

As I said, I'd love to try a Cane Creek DB Air just to see what it's capable of. I have a CCDB coil on my Ruckus (new Fury-style) and it's in a whole different league from pretty much everything else I've ever tried. For starters that frame uses a lower leverage ratio (same w/ Sensors, I believe) so you really feel more 'shock action', if that makes sense (piston speed is a bit slower so the actual tuning is more noticeable). Every click of adjustment can be felt, whereas the Fox/Force combo is more of a ballpark setting. The Ohlins (Cane Creek) damper design has an uncanny ability to be plush (like I prefer) yet still soak up big hits like a pillow. IMO it works great paired with I-Drive because the frame design does not need lockout to work, and since I'm not trying to win any uphill sprints I love the extra traction and control of 'sitting in the squat'. Once that bike is pointed downhill it's like a magic carpet, and I'd love to know how much is frame vs shock performance.

Anyone tried a DB Air on a Force/Sanction yet? Maybe time for another thread...
    Again Eric, great information and thanks for sharing them.

I am curious to feel how the Coil would feel like on the Force.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hi

Haven't been on here in ages.

I have a CCBDA on my sanction, TF tune set it up for me and it is great, well worth the money and hassle as TF are n the other side of the world from me.

The bike now uses it travel better and no longer blows through its travel like it did with the DHX air on it.

I went with the air as the force/sanction frames don't seem to play nice with coils when you push them hard.
    These frames put more force on the rear shock as it goes through it travel which is why they are speced with a air shock. So unless you use a coil with some bottom out protection on it you can end up damaging shock mounts shock pins etc.....
    The standard FOX RC would not be my pick nor would a CCDB as the do not ramp up as they go through there travel, where as a fox DHX or RC4 would be a better pick with there bottom out protection.