the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006

Classic Zaskars (91 and 01), Keep 'em or sell 'em?

Hi, I have two Zaskars: a mostly original 1991 Zaskar with an XT drivetrain and a Rock Shox Mag fork (with the big ZASKAR sticker on the downtube) and a 2001 Zaskar Team (bought as a frame and built with an XT drivetrain, Winwood Purist fork, and DT Swiss rim brake wheels). I am pretty sure they are the first and last Zaskars made in the USA.
    Now to get to the point: I don't ride them. I bought the 91 used and it has sat in the basement for the last 3 years waiting for new cables and grips. I don't really trust the old Mag fork to actually ride it. I bought the 2001 brand new as a frame only and it has been ridden plenty on pavement and gravel but has never seen singletrack. Other than cable rub, it is pretty much spotless. I am conflicted over selling them and getting something newer that I will actually ride, or keeping them as collectables and appreciating their pretty frames. Anyone out there sell their classics and then regret it?
    If I were to sell these, I would replace them with a 29er hardtail. Maybe a full rigid with a Niner carbon fork. Other than singletrack, I have lots of gravel, minimum maintenance, and seasonal roads to ride, as well as steep up and downs where disc brakes are superior to older calipers/v-brakes. This is where I have been riding the Zaskar Team.
    I've never really kept a bike just to look at it, I feel like I have a couple of classic muscle cars that are worth $, but I don't drive. I also feel that they won't lose any value. If I sell them 3 years from now, they won't lose any value over selling them today. Jeez, I am starting to ramble. I am looking at my Zaskar Team right now and it is so pretty.
    So which is it? Keep them as collectables or sell them and ride something new?
    Your momma's so nasty, she keeps ice between her legs just to keep the crabs fresh.

mtbr member

Can't form a proper opinion without pics!
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

Sneaker man
    personally I would keep them as imo you could ride all that stuff on the team perfectly well (or you could sell and by a niner which would ride that stuff perfectly well, so is there really a difference). ALso I never had any real problem with rim brakes no matter how steep the hill...but the team will take discs anyway (maybe sell the 91 and put that towards wheels and brakes).
    I'd get out there and ride the team first before anything, you may find you don't need anything else.

But then i'd rather walk than ride a niner.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aph72 View Post
    Hi, I have two Zaskars: a mostly original 1991 Zaskar with an XT drivetrain and a Rock Shox Mag fork (with the big ZASKAR sticker on the downtube) and a 2001 Zaskar Team (bought as a frame and built with an XT drivetrain, Winwood Purist fork, and DT Swiss rim brake wheels). I am pretty sure they are the first and last Zaskars made in the USA.
    Now to get to the point: I don't ride them. I bought the 91 used and it has sat in the basement for the last 3 years waiting for new cables and grips. I don't really trust the old Mag fork to actually ride it. I bought the 2001 brand new as a frame only and it has been ridden plenty on pavement and gravel but has never seen singletrack. Other than cable rub, it is pretty much spotless. I am conflicted over selling them and getting something newer that I will actually ride, or keeping them as collectables and appreciating their pretty frames. Anyone out there sell their classics and then regret it?

If I were to sell these, I would replace them with a 29er hardtail. Maybe a full rigid with a Niner carbon fork. Other than singletrack, I have lots of gravel, minimum maintenance, and seasonal roads to ride, as well as steep up and downs where disc brakes are superior to older calipers/v-brakes. This is where I have been riding the Zaskar Team.
    I've never really kept a bike just to look at it, I feel like I have a couple of classic muscle cars that are worth $, but I don't drive. I also feel that they won't lose any value. If I sell them 3 years from now, they won't lose any value over selling them today. Jeez, I am starting to ramble. I am looking at my Zaskar Team right now and it is so pretty.
    So which is it? Keep them as collectables or sell them and ride something new?

Okay, a non-flippant response now that I've got a little down time in front of a work computer. My laptop decided to go kaput this week!

I'd definitely keep the '91. Nothing wrong with good cantilever brakes when they are set up right and have good pads.

The 2001? Would selling it help fund a new bike? Are storage space getting to be a problem?

I assume you've ridden 29er's? I wouldn't assume that you'll like them if you haven't. I don't. I'm a tall guy and I feel like I am precariously balanced when I roll over big roots and things like that on a 29er. Didn't take long for me to realize that I definitely prefer a 26 inch wheels off road.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    Here are a few shots of my 2001 Team that I took about 2 years ago.Classic Zaskars (91 and 01), Keep 'em or sell 'em?-pa050297.jpgClassic Zaskars (91 and 01), Keep 'em or sell 'em?-pa050314.jpgClassic Zaskars (91 and 01), Keep 'em or sell 'em?-pa050326.jpg
    Your momma's so nasty, she keeps ice between her legs just to keep the crabs fresh.

mtbr member
    Keep'em....all of 'em
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Sneaker man
    wth! the team HAS disc brakes!

Liek I said before, for me its a no brainer, maybe put some semi slicks on the team and ride the hell out of it and never look back. People rode and still ride 26in wheels up and down and all around and haven't died from not having a 29er.
    But it's your decision, but remember, if you do get a 29er, your not getting the cool thing, thats the old thing, the new cool thing thats better is 650b, 29 is on the way out.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by aph72 View Post
    Here are a few shots of my 2001 Team that I took about 2 years ago.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA050297.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	839310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA050314.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	839311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA050326.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	839312
    Sweet Jesus, thats one of the best looking Teams I've ever seen.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Show us the 91!!

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    Here are a few more shots of the 2001 Team from a few years ago. The fork, wheels, and drivetrain have all been stripped and put on a different frame. Maybe I'll take a shot of how the '01 and '91 currently look hanging from the ceiling in the garage. Most people wouldn't enjoy that as the bikes look pretty sad from not being ridden.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Classic Zaskars (91 and 01), Keep 'em or sell 'em?-gt-12.7.2013-1.jpg  

Classic Zaskars (91 and 01), Keep 'em or sell 'em?-gt-12.7.2013-2.jpg  

Classic Zaskars (91 and 01), Keep 'em or sell 'em?-gt-12.7.2013-3.jpg