mtbr member

Carbon Expert woes

Hi, I just wanted to know if there is anyone out there who has had any issues with the new Zaskar carbon frame? I purchased a Zaskar expert last week and did my first race with it over the week end, I took a tumble on a rocky decent and the gear lever caught the frame and punched a hole right through it. I am gutted, bike is back at the shop and i am awaiting the verdict as to whether they will cover it under warrenty. Will keep everyone posted.

mtbr member
    Wow, that stinks. I feel for you. I sure hope they take care of you.

No good in rock gardens..
    Good luck with it. They are a great looking rig, but if that's the durability I'll be staying well away.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Keep Riding !!
    I also ride a Carbon Expert and will be checking my Handle Bar/Brake clearence when I get Home

Good Luck with the warranty etc,

Carbon fibre can be repaired depending on the damage by the right person with minimal weight of stength penalty.
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Lindeque
    Will keep everyone posted.
    You never kept us posted.... ha ha I brought back a 2 years thread lol

mtbr member
    Hi, my local distributer sorted me out with a team edition frame which i sold.... and bought a specialized stumpjumper The stumpy has been fantastic, super stiff. Had a crash with it and no issues. In my opinion the Gt was just a little too fragile.

Lawrence

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    O nice.
    I'm JUST getting into the more expensive bikes. I had an Ironhorse Maverick before so going to the GT zaskar carbon expert is a HUGE HUGE jump.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Lindeque
    Hi, my local distributer sorted me out with a team edition frame which i sold.... and bought a specialized stumpjumper The stumpy has been fantastic, super stiff. Had a crash with it and no issues. In my opinion the Gt was just a little too fragile.

Lawrence
    Another example of why crashes are not covered by warranty.

The rep did you a nice solid by giving you a frame even though it was your fault.

And you brag about dumping it for another company on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Don't be so excited about GT's customer service.

My Zaskar Carbon Team frame might be cracked.
    Possible crack in my carbon frame

I weigh 145 lbs and I never crashed it not abused it in any way.

I sent them pictures of the "crack", so they could evaluate them and tell me if it's an actual crack or the damage is just cosmetic. I got a response from a sales woman, who wasn't an expert on the issue. She told me she would forward my inquiry to their VP of Quality. It's been almost a month and I'm still waiting for the guy to contact me.

Their top of the line MTB frame doesn't seem to be strong enough for road riding and their customer service sucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had a 2007 GTR carbon road bike. While cleaning it, I discovered what appeared to be a crack. I took it to my local GT dealer, GT replaced it with an identical frame, no questions asked. I was on my new bike in less than 3 weeks total. I would have to disagree that their customer service sucks, maybe you should go through LBS who deals with a rep instead of trying to contact them directly?

mtbr member
    I purchased the bike in the US, but I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The only GT dealer is in Cordoba, a city 700 km away from Buenos Aires. Besides, I doubt they've ever seen a cracked Zaskar Carbon Team before. I'd rather have a response from someone who has actual experience with this issue.

Their sales representative told me thrice their VP of Quality would contact me and, after a freakin' month, I'm still waiting for him to do it. There's no excuse for such a poor customer service.

FKA Malibu412

GT durability is questionable on their newer stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    Another example of why crashes are not covered by warranty.

The rep did you a nice solid by giving you a frame even though it was your fault.

And you brag about dumping it for another company on MTBR.
    Here's what I think I know:

The customer is always right whether he is or not. The OP gave GT some needed info about the durability of their product, particularly their frames, and that is this company needs to build it to last or people will vote with their feet and wallets by checking out the competition. Sure he took a tumble and typically crash damage only nets a crash replacement discount. He said he got "sorted out," not that he was given a new frame free of charge.

GT only has a 3 year warranty on FS frames while most of the competition has at least 5 years or even lifetime for the original owner. Why is this? Not confident in their own frames?

I cracked an i-drive frame in only 5 mos of significant (meaning about a 100 miles a month) riding but it was fatigue, not due to crash damage. GT was fabulous about replacing it fast with no-charge and no-questions-asked. However, in light of the fact that it did not hold up to normal riding, the new frame will likely crack in the same way, and I only have a 3 year warranty, I will be going with a competitor for my next bike. This is despite GT doing me a "nice solid." I like my GT, will keep it as a back up or a loaner for friends new to mtbing, but I will not be comfortable expecting so much from it again. Maybe that's where the OP is at.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams