mtbr member
    May 2012

A bunch of GT questions

Hello all, I am new to this forum.

How do you extend (raise the handle bars on a GT LTS-2. I loosened the bolt on the top of the handle bars, but nothing moves with that bolt loosened.

About 15 year ago I bought a GT LTS-2 mountain bike. I have never liked the front shock that came with the bike. It is a Indy XC Rock Shox. It's just way to soft. I put in bigger spacers in it to compress the springs. But it is still way too soft. Am I right that I can't do anything else to the Indy XC shock.

How much is a lightly use GT LTS-2 mountain bike bought in 1997 worth. I payed $1500.00 for it in 1997.

My options seem to be; look for a used cheap bike with a really good shock and buy that just for the shock. Or sell my GT LTS-2 get something better. Like a Hard tail with nice front shock and disc brakes.

Sneaker man
    indy's were elastomer i think? you should be able to get harder elastomers somewhere, but indies weren't really very good, you could track down some old marzocchi bombers or some judys.
    You wouldn't get a lot for an old lts-2, but they are still good bikes, just look at all the poepkl still riding and raving about them here.

As to the stem, you need to figure out if its quill or a-head style, I would have thought an lts would have a-head style, where the top nut is just to compress everything, you need to look at the stem and see if there are any other bolts that will clamp around the steerer tube (not the handle bar) and loosen that.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So how much is not very much? $200, $400?

Sneaker man
    yeah like $200 (note I am not an expert, just my thoughts) might get more, might get less...