mtbr member
    May 2008

Building a Team GT Zaskar

Hey all you GT experts thanks for the Info so far, but i still need to pick your brains, can i build a Team GT Zaskar that will tip scales under 20 LBS, if yes can you give me some recommendations on parts to use, if not how close can i get to 20 LBS, and with what parts, want to use it for endurance riding, and yes i know that i should use a full suspension, but hey call be psycho

mtbr member
    MY I-drive Team weighs a hair under 24lbs with a Sid team, Crossmax XL's, full XT, SLR seat, IRC Mibro's and rim brakes. That's with a 5.5 lb frame, the 2001 Zaskar Team frame in a large weighs 3.2 lbs, medium maybe 3.0. So you've got 22.5 with my build on a Zaskar Team. I didn't do anything exotic. There is probably a pound available in components, about another pound with the lightest wheels and a little bit with the lightest tires. So it can be done, but it will cost you.

First you have to find that frame!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah i know, i found one last night on ebay but it was a color i had not run across Turqoise/white, didn't know that color was produced, it was real cheap i think $150, the seller stated it had been in the garage for some years hangin, but i want the blue/yellow color and also for that cheap i was afraid maybe the frame has been damaged, but call me persistant i will find one, what is your take on the FOX suspension forks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Fox forks although they are awesome, are not the lightest forks. If you are gonna be a weight weenie then go with a SID, or a Marzocchi Corsa. Those are some of the lighter forks out there. You can drop lots of weight with carbon and Crossmax wheels. I have XL's on mine but if you aren't a heavy guy go with the Sl's or the new SLR's. LOTS O carbon bits and titanium bits and you can get a Team Zaskar around 18 lbs. They are rare but they are out there. Be ready to spend a lot of money. I'd stick with some real good v-brakes unless you can find light hydro disc brakes. Go tubeless with a light tubeless tire. You have lots of options man. My buddy's large Zaskar weighs around 21 to 22 lbs and that's with pedals, hydraulic disc brakes, a 4 lb. reba and other not so light bits. Make sure you get some pics when it's all said and done. You can easily get that pup under 20 lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2008

GT Zaskar

Dude thx for the awesome technical info, i way around 195, so what do you think is a conservative approach if i wanted to say stay in or around 22 or 23 lbs, i can't drop 4 or 5k into this bike, i am sorta budgeted to around $2500, and i will probably shop MTBR for used stuff

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm 205 lbs. and I've had my SID SL for over 4 years now. It's starting to show the wear and tear but if you are not an aggressive rider the SID is a great light fork. What I mean by not being aggressive is you being more of a smooth rider and knowing how to land your jumps and not letting the bike absorb all the landings. Alot of people expect the bike to take all the hits and don't absorb any of the shock with your body. It is flexy and is more noticeable with v-brakes. I'm used to the flex and it is irrelevant now. Find a good used SID, a good set of used crossmax, and maybe a light crank and bottom bracket set. Spend your good money on a good light drivetrain and maybe a carbon seatpost and bars. You'll easily come under 22 23 lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thx boss, me and you are about the same weight, trust me i do not leave the earth, if GOD wanted that he would of given me wings, actually i am tryin to build this bike for endurance riding and i want to complete a century ride also, and do it with a MTB bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    We are pretty close on weight. I'm 5'11 and a medium fits me well. I can use a large but I prefer smaller frames. The SID and the Crossmax SL's should put you where you want to be. My buddy's Zaskar could easily weigh 20 lbs or less if he went with a SID and V-brakes instead of hydro's and a Reba. I've ridden his bike before numerous times and it is a rocket. When we rode together I could catch him on the rough stuff and at the turn entries, (with me on my I-Drive Team), but as soon as he pedaled out of turns he was gone. He had a carbon seatpost and carbon bars and they actually took alot of the vibration out. I hope you find a frame soon. I've been looking for a medium as well but I either have the money and no one selling or someone selling but I don't have the money.
    C-ya later.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I found a guy on e-bay last night selling a GT team TI and Team zaskar frames only, both of course to big for me, but he states that he comes into contact with alot of the Team Zaskar frames, and he said to e-mail him with your specific requirements and he could find one, so i shot him e-mail, now i'll wait and see if he is for real or a scammer. I never new that GT made a Team TI frame or bike for that matter. As lomg as i can put together a sub 24 lb HT, i will be happy, cause last time i was on a bike was 18 months ago and i weighed 250 since then i have dropped 50lbs, i am doin 5 days aweek in the gyme with wts and cardio, i plan on droppin to 190 and then goin to maintenance. send me a pic of your bike so i can put it in my file. as a go buy

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Dude, that's awesome you dropped all that weight. I also work out at the gym but my weight hasn't changed much since I'm lifting to put on more muscle. I'll be happy if I can replace 10lbs of fat with 10 from muscle. Here's a couple of pics of my I-drive next to my buddy's Zaskar Team. My I-drive weights just over 25 lbs with full XT and no carbon bits. My buddy's Zaskar around 22 lbs. If I really wanted to, I can make my I-drive around 24 lbs. but it will get pretty expensive by then. I hope the pics help bro.
    Attached Images Attached Images