mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Avalanche Women's sizing...

Dear GT riders,
    I want to buy a GT avalanche for my girlfriend as a birthday gift.
    She is 5'60 tall !!!

Does she need a Small one or maybe Medium ???

Please help me as her birthday is at the end of the month!!!

mtbr member
    I'd err on the side of medium, but it's hard to say.
    i wouldn't buy it as a surprise. she should be part of the selection process.
    Former bike mechanic; current idiot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I agree with nato. Have her go with you and pick her bike. You should also check GTs website, they have women's specific bikes now. At 5 foot 6 inches she is between a small or a medium. My wife used to ride a medium and she is 5 foot 7. Her legs are pretty long though. Unfortunately mountain biking wasn't her cup of tea. I am glad she likes weightlifting as much as I do. Make her part of the process and she will enjoy it more.

GT J
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thank you all guys!
    I am about to order my new bike, and she sneak into my desk while I was researching, and we tripped on the Avalanche 3.0 Ws Pink version 2008, which was exciting for her!
    So I decided to get it as a gift for her birthday.
    She had ride a medium GT before but it was a men's bike, that is why I am asking if there is any difference in Ws bike sizing...
    So as it seems we will go for the M one!!!
    Thank you guys again, and we will post images with her on her Avalanche and me on my Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Go with the medium. My son's 5'7" and I bought the small and ended up sending it back. Top tube height was prefect but the cockpit was way to tight. The medium allowed him to stretch out a bit more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So we are aiming at:

Avalanche 3.0 Ws 2008 Medium for my gf

and

Zaskar Expert 2009 Large for me...

Thank you all for your help!

Vas

mtbr member
    Who's riding the pink??? Just kidding! Very nice but you may want to opt for the 2.0 over the 3.0. Are you getting them from Performance?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am thinking about riding the pink one... LoL

I am thinking of riding it during the weekends, for long routes into the forests... I am almost 30yo though... and I do not have that much time for training. However, I will might try to use it at local races, it must be fun...

But my gf, wants it for smooth rides in the forest during the weekend.

I think that they will be alright, and if she wants something more, we might upgrade it, or switch to a something more technical if she get more excited about races... we will see!

Thank you for the interest, we will send you pictures from the Greek forest trails!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here's some info from GT's website. There is a good difference between them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What makes GTw bikes fit women better?
    GTw bicycles are crafted to fit the serious female cyclist. We start with a specifically engineered frame geometry that caters to a woman’s natural body shape.

Taller Head Tube – The angle that a woman’s tail bone contacts the seat is critical in creating a comfortable riding position. A taller head tube allows for the woman’s upper body to be positioned higher which, in turn, rotates the tailbone into the ideal position for maximum comfort.
    Steeper Seat Tube Angle – Due to a woman’s naturally shorter femur length, we’ve increased the seat tube angle to give the rider a better position over the bottom bracket. Again, this gives the rider a more comfortable pedaling position.
    Shorter Top Tube Length – It is natural that women have shorter arms and torso. A shorter top tube length brings the handle bar in closer for a more comfortable feel.

We also take designing to the next level by combining these frame updates with components specifically chosen with women in mind. By using a shorter stem, narrower handlebars and a smaller diameter grip, you will have more precise steering and better control. Combine that with short-reach brake levers for more stopping power and women’s specific saddles for more comfort and performance.

All together, these critical changes give the serious female cyclist more efficiency, better control, and more comfort.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    I'm looking at possibly getting my wife a bike as she rides my extra and thats some real good info. Thanks for the post