mtbr member
    May 2012

Avalanche or Karakoram?

Both 2011 ver 3.0

BlueSky has the Kar. for 319

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-29er-Bike.htm

Performance has the Avalanche for 399

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...14_-1___400329

I'm coming from a '94 Outpost Trail, so both bikes are going to be a brand new experience.

What's a better frame to build and grow off of?

I'm 6'3" - 235#

Most of my riding is on crushed limestone paths and the occasional neighborhood ride with the kiddos. I wouldn't rule out future single track though. No real "roadie" riding or jumping for me...

Appalachian Highlander
    I can't help but be a cranky old cremudgeon: I suggest finding a '94 Avalanche OR '94 Karakoram. They were much better bicycles, and you can probably get them for less than half that cost.

......Again, sorry for letting my personal opinion getting in the way of your question. Enjoy whichever one you get!

mtbr member
    Get the avalanche. It is a higher end model and even if the parts are not at the same level it will be a better frame

mtbr member
    May 2012
    An Avalanche 3.0 just popped up on CL this morning... Claims to be brand new, only out a couple times. Asking $200. Looks like a 2011 model.

According to BP, it came with Tourney components though...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfredburger View Post
    Get the avalanche. It is a higher end model and even if the parts are not at the same level it will be a better frame
    How is the Avalanche a better frame than the Karakoram? Judging from price alone they are equivalent, just different sizes.

-Daver

mtbr member
    Both are going to be great bikes.

However, With your size (I'm 6'5" ; 220#) - I think you'd like the Karokoram 9er much more than the 26" Avalanche!

I just picked up a 2010 Peace 9'r single speed the other day and gotta say - the ride is smoooooth on the bigger wheels!

Is it in budget to go a little higher?

2011 GT Karakoram 2.0 29er Mountain Bike - Huge Deals on Big Wheels

Good Luck with the decision!
    Live
    Love

SPIN

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have a 2008 Avalanche 3.0 and just bought a 2012 Karakoram 3.0 29er. I felt that the frame on the Avalanche is very comparable to the Karakoram. Personally I love the 29er. I bike in Northern Colorado and the trails here are very rough and both have held up to the abuse.