mtbr member

Avalanche Frame Polishing - Complete!

I purchased this 2005 Avalanche 3.0 on craigslist a month or so ago. It's my first GT. I've riden Felt, Trek, Giant and Specialized in the past. I have to say that I love the way this frame fits me. I have never felt like a frame fit me this well before. I love it. However, I didn't love the paint job. I hated the black and blue on the silver frame.

I had been thinking about getting it painted when I ran across threads here talking about polishing. Soooo.. I started the process today. Spent four hours and several applications of Aircraft stripper getting the paint off the frame. Here are some photos of during and after.

I'll post pics of the finished product (when I finish it) tomorrow or Saturday.

Sorry for the crappy pics. All I had handy was my iPhone.

Last edited by rrogerstx; 05-02-2009 at 10:41 AM.

mtbr member
    wow good luck, major job there!!!
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    wow good luck, major job there!!!

It's not ball burnished under the paint so it will tarnish more easily....aka high maintenance to keep it looking good.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Nice work so far..... now polish the hell out of it with Mother Aluminum polish and a rag. Your hands are going to hurt for days. I've done two of these Avalanche polish jobs and its no easy task. Keep the pics of your progress coming!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    Nice work so far..... now polish the hell out of it with Mother Aluminum polish and a rag. Your hands are going to hurt for days. I've done two of these Avalanche polish jobs and its no easy task. Keep the pics of your progress coming!

Finished it tonight. Took about 18 hours for the entire project. My fingers are black and throbbing. I put on 10 coats of mothers. It is a huge improvement. It turned out great. I'll post the final pics tomorrow.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Excellent, can't wait to see the pics!

mtbr member
    Here are the pics.. I think it looks awesome.

Before this project I had never disassembled a bike before or replaced a single component myself. Thank you youtube...it was all easier than I expected it to be with just a small investment in the right tools. I even tuned the derailleurs and brakes after I put it back together. It shifts and brakes better now than it did before I disassembled it.

Still mostly stock components. Thats gotta change now. I've already ordered a new fork, stem, bars, pedals and grips. I'll replace the cassette, crank, derailleurs and brakes in a few weeks.

Before pics:

Nice day for a ride.....
    Nice work, you need to grab on old Avalanche decal set off of eBay now to make the look complete!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    Nice work, you need to grab on old Avalanche decal set off of eBay now to make the look complete!
    Actually I like it as is.. I think it looks very clean. I thought about putting a solid white GT decal on the down tube but I think I'll leave it as is, at least for now.

mtbr member
    Agree... it looks great. I would love to attempt if I had the time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum
    Agree... it looks great. I would love to attempt if I had the time!
    Thanks. I'm pleased with the results. I like clean and simple. I hate lots of decals and busy graphics on bikes.

mtbr member
    nice job
    [SIZE="1"]I'd rather be biking[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]18 gears of inexpensive pleasure!![/SIZE]

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Love to hear you did all the wrenching yourself - nothing makes a bike more yours than building it all by yourself - well done!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki
    Love to hear you did all the wrenching yourself - nothing makes a bike more yours than building it all by yourself - well done!
    I think your right, I really feel like it's my bike now. I'm really glad that I took the time to learn to do it myself rather than paying someone else...it's good to have that knowledge. There are How-to videos on YouTube for just about anything you could ever want to do to your bike.

Bikerbob
    Aug 2005
    Very nice job! Motivates me to actually do the work myself on my 05 Avalanche 3.0! Hats off to you!

dot
    mtbr member
    what's the weight saving from polishing?