mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Is this an Avalanche? (Frame ID help)

I picked up a GT frame on Craigslist and the guy thought it might be a Zaskar or Pantera. After doing some searching here I think maybe its actually an Avalanche from '97-'99 era. It has a rounded top tube end, 7005 stamped on the dropouts and the serial number under the bottom bracket starts with SAS6G. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    I would say its either a:

Avalanche
    Backwoods
    Tempest
    Arrowhead

based on those details.

From 1998 onwards the Avalanche was a 6000 series aluminium.

Someone else maybe be able to give you a better idea......

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    There is also a sticker on the rear support that says "mavic equipped" and it was ball burnished if that helps.

After seeing this its looking like it might be a '97 Avalanche. http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1997.pdf

Rudy Project Eyewear
    Looks like an Avalanche to me...... tough to say for sure though. Whats the serial number? It won't tell you what model, but will take the month and year of manufacturing. First 4 numbers on older GT's are the month and year or manufacture. For example, my Zaskar is 01948817. Meaning it was manufactured in January 1994.........

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'd bet that it is a >= 1996 Avalanche or something else, not Zaskar. Take a look at this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...79933#poststop

It looks to be a similar frame, although seat post clamps aren't integrated on your frame, but the gussett is on the lower downtube. Also no headtube reinforcement. Also this doesn't look like it is a ball barnished frame either. It is possible it is a Richohet? From what I have read on this forum (mostly by GM and other gurus), Avalanche never got 6061 AL tubing.

If you really want to know, post this up in retrobike.co.uk - they're much more active.

mtbr member
    I would say after a bit more research if it is Ball Burnished and 7005 AL that its a 1996 Avalanche....

Several of the other frames came out as 'Billet" including the Backwoods and the Tempest.

mtbr member
    Here is a picture of my 1996 GT Avalanche....very similiar frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images