Bikerbob
    Aug 2005

Avalanche 3.0 owners fork question?

This question goes out to Avalanche 3.0 owners.

I recently picked up a used 05 3.0 and was wondering what fork did you all use in replacement of the Suntour forks? This bike will be basically be a trail bike. Opinions and good actual fork experience will be appreciated.

Rob

Nice day for a ride.....
    Well, I've got an '06 Avalanche 1.0 and an '08 Avalanche 2.0. I bought my '08 last spring and stripped it down immediately (bought it for the frame) put a Reba SL on it, 100mm travel, works great, best fork I've ever ridden, light too at about 3.5 lbs. On the '06 I did a Tora 318 Soloair, 100mm, which was also pretty kick ass, similar to the Reba but with Soloair instead of Dual Air and higher weight. 100mm is the magic number for avalanche's, and I'd recommend Rock Shox product, its very reliable.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Bikerbob
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the info. I will keep the 100mm in mind when choosing front suspension forks!

mtbr member
    Rock Shox 318 with u-turn 85-120mm on my sons Avalanche 2.0. The U-turn doesn't get much use , just got a killer deal on the fork and that was an added feature. It made a huge difference however to be honest the Suntour XCR that was on the 2.0 really is a pretty good fork for the money. I'd say on par with the Dart series. I'm hanging on to it for a spare.