mtbr member
    May 2011

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Avalanche 1.0 Disc - serial number - PLEASE HELP!

I recently bought about half of a 2003 Avalanche 1.0 Disc (The same Blue/Silver frame here) including the frame, fork, and a couple other components. I fixed it up for my girlfriend to use. About 2 weeks after I finished fixing it, it was stolen out of my garage. I hadn't thought to record the serial #. Now I am learning the hard way that there is almost nothing you can do about a stolen bike without the serial number.

As blind luck would have it , I took a couple of pictures during repair and one of them shows only the **LAST 4 DIGITS** of the serial number, eg 1234.

A little reading has told me that these may be the only "unique" digits in the serial. Which is to say, a serial number organized as follows:

[XX####] [1234]

Where the [XX####] describes the manufacture location, build location, date of manufacture, etc... and the last 4 digits are the unique identifier.

So...

• Can anyone help me with trying to reconstruct the whole number, or at least get an idea of what it may look like?
    • Anyone have more insight about the serial numbers?
    • People willing to share all EXCEPT the last 4 digits on similar bikes?

I badly need as much of this number as possible to file a proper police report and inform pawn shop owners, etc. what to look out for!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-JW

FYI: I read this already: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/info/122/
    Also, I contacted GT, and they said due to being new owners, they do not have old records that might help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    03 avalanche 3.0
    HL 133
    and then I only have 4 more numbers after that

Nice day for a ride.....
    I had an '03 Avalanche 1.0 exactly like that. I just happen to have the bb shell from that frame sitting on my desk (I worked at the shop I bought it from, got to destroy the frame myself for warranty and keep the BB shell as a momento).

Serial number is IGT3A11786
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike