mtbr member
    May 2011

Assembly of 2010 GT Force Carbon Expert

I'm expecting this to be delivered Wednesday and was wondering what I would need to do to finish assembly and setup. It states bike will come 90% assembled but what other assembly and setup do I need to do and what tools and material do I need. Does this come with brake oil (Shimano mineral oil)? I bought it from bikesdirect.com.

I did already purchase Topeak Alien II 26-Function Bicycle Tool & Topeak Pocket Shock DXG Bike Pump.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I just assembled a 2010 1.0 Sanction and the only tool I used was an allen wrench. Just had to put the front wheel on, attach the stem to the forks, put the pedals on, fill the tires and put the seat post in and done. The derailleurs were all adjusted, just had to give a couple turns on the redrailleur barell to stop the clicking. The brakes will be filled and bled, just the calipers needed a bit of aligning. All I did was loosen the calipers, pulled the lever and held it in, than re- tighten the calipers. Didnt even have to adjust the seat, it was perfect. Being I had carbon bars, I bought a torque wrench from Harbor Freight for 20 bucks, 1/4 to 3/8 socket adapter , and the Park SBS-1 bit set. Enjoy your new GT, your going to love it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hutchtrickstar
    I just assembled a 2010 1.0 Sanction and the only tool I used was an allen wrench. Just had to put the front wheel on, attach the stem to the forks, put the pedals on, fill the tires and put the seat post in and done. The derailleurs were all adjusted, just had to give a couple turns on the redrailleur barell to stop the clicking. The brakes will be filled and bled, just the calipers needed a bit of aligning. All I did was loosen the calipers, pulled the lever and held it in, than re- tighten the calipers. Didnt even have to adjust the seat, it was perfect. Being I had carbon bars, I bought a torque wrench from Harbor Freight for 20 bucks, 1/4 to 3/8 socket adapter , and the Park SBS-1 bit set. Enjoy your new GT, your going to love it.
    Thanks for the information. Could I ask where you purchased yours? Mine is supposed to be factory direct so no one else is doing any other assembly. I'm curious if my bike will be in similar condition when I get it. What I'm most concerned about are the brakes since I've not had hydraulic brakes before.

mtbr member
    I bought mine at Americasbikecompany.com and it did come factory direct. Your right, some places put it together even further like Performance bike, but there is not much more to do when factory direct from GT. Yes, I find filling and bleeding hydrolic brakes a pain in the butt. If I buy hydrolic brakes seperate, I get them pre-bled so I dont have to do any messy work.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm glad to hear that factory direct bikes will not need filling and bleeding hydraulic brakes. Thanks for your input. It's very helpful. Enjoy your new bike.

amp
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    you will need a shock pump for the suspension, and on mine the front brake was bled and worked well but the rear was mush. I had to rebleed it. (not a big deal since i run the front brake on the right side anyways and had to re bleed.) It will NOT come with mineral oil, you will need to purchase that also. Other than that, allen wrenches and a torque wrench if you like to get everything to spec. (i do).