mtbr member

anyone riding geared gt peace 9r

I posted on the 29 forum put no response does not seem like they are to popular. Performance has a good price on them I am thinking of making my foray into the 29er with the geared 9er but can't find any reviews. Everyone seems please with the ss but that won't suit me. I am looking for gears may... Anyone have one? $650 seems like a good price!

mtbr member
    Well... I guess I will be the only one. Just ordered one from Performance. With the current coupon got it for $550. Don't really see how I can go wrong for that price! Anyway. I will form my own little group now of geared for peace riders...

mtbr member
    I seen a red/yellow/green @ my LBS and I thought it was damn sexy. Let me know how she rides!

"Friends Don’t Let Friends Get Friends Haircuts”

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I (online) ordered a 2008 GT Peace 9r Multi (size medium, blue) a few days ago from Performance. Got it for $620 including tax/ship-to-store, after a 15% off code. Should be ready for store pickup 2nd week of December.

So, I wondering what you think of yours, OP? I'm a little nervous about going to a fully rigid bike, but fortunately, my home trail is new, and smoother than a baby's butt.

If you think the bike sucks, let me know right away so I can cancel my order

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just got mine last week and haven't had a chance to get it dirty yet. Just from riding it around the yard I think it's going to be a fun bike. It's been over 15 yrs since I rode a fully rigid bike and I suspect I'll be fork shopping before long, but we'll see.
    I really wanted the rasta paint job and finally found a leftover on ebay for less than the Perf. price. I'm hoping the sub-freezing temps ease up over the T'giving weekend so it can get it's shakedown cruise.

mtbr member
    If you search the prior thread topics in the GT thread there was one a while back with some guys posting that bought them earlier in the year.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I love that tri-color paint scheme. I'm sure that color will probably have a higher resale value down the line, compared to the blue one I'm getting.

BTW, I've never seen a stock weight posted for these multi bikes. Any idea how much yours weighs? I guess with the low cost of these things, I'll have some bones left over to lighten it up some.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I took my new 2008 GT Peace 9r Multi for it's very first ride yesterday.

I have to ask other owners: Does the gyroscopic effect on this bike's front wheel seem a bit 'extreme'? I don't know if it has to do with having a rigid (light weight compared to suspension) fork, or what, but it seems like it takes some man-handling to steer the bike at speed.

I've ridden front suspension 29ers before that, IMO, had no obvious gyroscopic stuff going on up front.

I believe I ordered one size to small. I got the medium, and I probably should have ordered the large. I'm coming real close to toe-overlap with the front wheel. Would that likely be corrected on a larger frame?

The bike is flat out beautiful, in my opinion. Love the blue color! Seems pretty well spec'd for the $620 total I paid for it...

**EDIT**
    Okay, after my second ride this afternoon, the gyroscope effect is only a minor problem, and only when riding the bike on the road (to and from the trail). However, my hands and wrists are killing me. Not sure I can do, or enjoy this rigid frontend...
    Last edited by markatshermanbranch; 12-03-2008 at 02:23 PM.