Prone To Internet Drama
    Nov 2008

Anyone Have a Risse Racing Shock on their LTS?

Well inevitably my Rockshox Super-deluxe is about done... for the third and final time. I currently dont have "new bike money" so I need to do something to keep my rcompletely rebuilt 1995.5 LTS on the trail. I was thinking I would go with the Risse Genesis damper ($198.) Does anyone have any feedback on how this shock works on an LTS?

I would consider my riding style "aggressive" XC if that matters.

Thanks

mtbr member
    not sure but i have two lts with fox alps and they work just fine.

Air Pirate
    One of the things I see various LTS owners get confused about is on what type of shock can fit to their LTS.

If you have a trunion-mount, such as the LTS-1 had, then you either get to try and find a working Rock Shox Super or Coupe Deluxe, or you go with the Risse Racing shock. The shock mounts with an eyebolt on the bottom and a threaded sleeve, or trunion, at midpoint on the shock.

If you have one of the other levels of LTS (non-elastomer) then you might find something like the Fox Alps, as the shock mounts with an eyebolt on ether end.

What I would like to see is someone come up with a way to fit any choice of shock to the trunion mount setup. I don't have the engineering or time to do such a thing, but I sure would buy such a device if someone came up with something.

Prone To Internet Drama
    Nov 2008
    Well I have a 95.5 model year Team LTS frameset that uses the "eye to eye" style shock mount. The only place I ever could find a new replacement was Risse. Fox used to make an air shock in 95 but I cant find any current info. on this, it's probably long since been discontinued.

I e mailed Risse... never got a reply. I dont like company's that do that so I bought a new bike. A Giant Trance X2, it's awesome. Now sourcing parts is no longer an issue. Hopefully someday I will run across a good deal on a replacement LTS shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You can sometime find these shocks on ebay. Not very common but it does happen, so have a look there from time to time.

edit: the fox "eye to eye" that is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Riise Astro-5

I got the Astro-5 earlier this year, night and day difference from my Rock Shox Deluxe. I actually mounted it with the adjustment lever facing forward so that I can adjust it while riding without getting too close the the tire.
    Shock has worked flawlessly for my aggressive XC style. I have about 160 psi in it. I weigh 190# now (dropped 20# to get in better shape for life). My bike is a 1996 LTS-2 with a Reba dual air front fork, set at 115 mm travel.
    I would recommend this shock to others, and if you call Risse he is very easy to deal with. Small shop, probably not a lot of time for emails back and forth, but he was great to deal with.
    Also have not had to add any air to this shiock yet, just when checking pressure it loses a little, typical of air shocks/forks. But once set it holds its pressure perfectly.