mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Anyone have an old LTS with Discs in front, Vs in back

I just got my girl into mountain biking and she's been riding my old GT LTS DS. I want to ditch the dual crown forks and get her a single crown. Since I'm doing this, I was thinking of converting the front to Avid BB7s to give me more options on forks. I can't put discs on the back without buying an adaptor, plus I'd rather not spend more money on a new rear wheel, the adaptor and the rear discs at this point.

Anyone have any trouble with uneven braking with a disc on front and Vs on the rear?

GT LTS Hoarder
    I haven't ridden a bike with disc brakes in the front with a v-brake in the rear, but I've got an LTS with a v-brake in front and cantilevers in the rear. It's a little annoying to have brakes with different engagement points and power levels, but it's something that you'll get used to. It probably wouldn't be too bad, just as long as you have the most powerful brake on the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been riding an LTS w/ cable disc front/v-brake rear for years - great setup, IMO. Allowed me to keep my old XTR shifter/levers, and as long as you keep both brakes in good shape there's really not much 'imbalance'. The front does most of the work anyway, so having extra burl up there works out well. Properly adjusted I get one-finger power at both ends, albeit w/ a bit more effort than hydro's.

At the end of the day your brain will adjust to whatever you throw at it, given enough practice. Run it, I say.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks. After I posted, I saw some setups on the picture forum. Which mechanical discs did you get?

I think I'm going to try it... BB7s up front, keeping my current LX levers. If it doesn't work out, I guess I can always get an adaptor for the rear, but I really don't want to spent the extra money on a new rear wheel and brakes.