Braugh Bro.

All-mountain-er-ing a GT force.

So i have a GT force, Love it most of the time but on the steeper rocky stuff, it feels like a tiptoe-ing XC bike. So i ordered some offset shock bushings to slacken it by 1 degree (should be 68degrees) I was also thinking of putting a 160mm fork on it, (my other bike (a GT ruckus) has a 160-110mm domain that I plan on replacing with a 180mm fork soon, so I will likely use that)

So with the 10mm taller fork (i'm running a 150mm sektor currently) and the offset bushings it should have a 67.5 HTA much more AM capable, with the taller fork counteracting the bb lowering effect of the offset bushings, leaving me with only a slightly lower bb height.(I think)

So anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I a bit crazy for thinking this is the best idea I have ever had?

(don't just tell me to get a sanction, unless you want to trade me yours for my force, I got my force frame for cheap so that's what I'm using.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Aren't you loosing rear travel by using different bushings? If not how the heck do those offset shock bushings work? Another thing I don't understand is, wouldn't it change the whole angle of the bike not just the headtube angle when you replace the fork with a longer travel fork? You're affecting your standover height, bb height, weight distribution....probably more stuff than I am capable of thinking of. I hope it works for you bro. Let us know how it performs after you get all your changes done. I would think your Ruckus with a 180 would be sweet on that rocky stuff. My Force seems to handle the rocky stuff quite well but my rocky stuff is probably quite different than yours.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    The rear end on my stock force 3 has plenty of travel for AM, but the Bombers up front, even at 140mm are not confidence inspiring. They are a little soft for AM, although plush none the less. The GT was my second FS bike. I wasn't aware of slacker HTA and its importance at the time. My first FS was 68. I just knew my GT was different, and never gave it thought until I learned later.

Fully agree with gt jorgito. The offset bushings do change several characteristics about the bike. Watch the rear tire clearance. I'm curious to know how it works out as well.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Workscomponents. Get this first if you want to fiddle with geometery.

You do not have to worry about tire clearance with the offset bushings but you do have to worry about the cross brace on the seat-stay. I am thinking of getting the 3mm bushing myself to pair with my Workscomponents headset. Just like you I couldn't afford the Sanction and didn't even know I wanted it.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

Braugh Bro.
    I already ordered the offset bushings, but im pretty sure I have enough clearance on the cross brace and such. with my shock bottomed it looked like i had a good 10-15mm left before contact, and the offset bushings only change it by ~7mm or so. I'm pretty confident that the geo change will be a positive one, will just slightly lower standover and pitch my weight ever so slightly backward. Will bring the STA down to 71.8* with the bushings, and 71.3 with the taller fork and the bushings, still a nice angle for climbing. think that will be fine.

Braugh Bro.
    Success, All-mountain-er'd gt force.
    2009 GT force 3.0 XL frame
    Fox Dhx Air 5.0
    Fox Float 36 r 160mm
    FSA xc-500 ust wheels
    Michelin X-trem tubeless tires
    Avid bb7 brakes (for now)
    Offset shock Bushings
    Raceface Turbine 32/22t
    sram x7/x9 drivetrain.
    ect.

Heavy, like 34lbs
    ~67.5 HTA with the offset bushings (works with my xl frame, have heard mixed reports of working with other sizes)

I use it for AM, XC, and light freeride when i'm on trails that doesnt warrant me using my ruckus.
    Last edited by Buggyr333; 12-13-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    as in my other thread, any of you try 650b/27.5 wheels in your Force? (looking at a '13)
    What is the bb height with a 160?

Braugh Bro.
    I don't know the bb height offhand, but the offset bushings lowers the bb height more than the fork raises it, so it's lower than stock.

No i have not tried larger wheels. I highly doubt it will fit with anything but the smallest of tires.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    bummer.
    well, if you would be so kind as to measure the center of axle to the first cross braces, that would be wonderful!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Guys, I have a question... switched up my reverb cable routing because the cable was being bent into weird angles and the housing was getting permanent wrinkles on 'em. And it was beginning to annoy me that the cable would brush my legs once in a while.

With the seat down the cable doesn't hit anything, with the seat up the cable is touching the shock. No problems when I tried pushing the shock down though (both seat up and down)... you guys might see something I don't though.. whatchatink?
    Last edited by prancisfena; 11-23-2012 at 04:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey bryan-d
    Which model of workcomponents headset do you use for the GT Force? I got a '11 with the tapered fork and I'm ready to take the plunge and get a 1.5 offset