mtbr member
    Aug 2010

New question here. With all the advances in bike-tech, should we even talk about "creaking"?

Heck, we have electronic shock adjust, carbon frames we can see thru, puncture "free" no-tubes tires, saddles that helps with our erection (citation needed), GPS tracking real-time map guidance speedometers.........you know what I'm getting at....

Should we even talk about frame creaking? Sh*t should we even accept it?

I know, if it's mechanical, it's bound to make some sound at one point in time. But trolling round here, this is more the "norm" than "point in time" with GT iDrive bikes. I've had 3 full sus bikes before from 2 different manufacturers. Eventually they started creaking somewhere, but it meant something was worn out and needed to be replaced. The only thing I always had problems with, was bottom bracket creaking in the old-style BB were the parts were inside.

1. If it's the iDrive design that's the culprit
    2. Is it worth it? - I mean, the annoyance, maintenance time etc.
    3. Does iDrive makes us faster in the trail?
    4. Are we having more fun than other bikers out there?
    5. Your friend on his Rocky Mountain, is his bike "lesser" than your iDrive?

If Apple made an iPhone, where the speaker would start crackling after 1 month....what would happen?

Braugh Bro.
    not the design, it's the bearings. They're kind of loose on the inside of the frame (so you need no special tools to pop them out) wrapping them in teflon tape has done the trick for me.

worth it? i'd rather have something with such a minor issue that i can fix myself in my backyard than have to spend lots of money on proprietary bearings (idrives use headset cartridge bearings)

Faster? not that Ive seen. but it feels floatier, therefore less fatiguing over time. that may just be me though.

More fun? I am, i don't know about you.

Lesser? no. different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't say idrive is superior to all other suspension designs. it's just another choice that works just as well as a bunch of other choices. But my GT's cost me a whole lot less than any comparable rocky mountain frames.

mtbr member
    To the OP,

Do you ride solo?

Just wondering,
    Bryan
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333 View Post
    not the design, it's the bearings. They're kind of loose on the inside of the frame (so you need no special tools to pop them out) wrapping them in teflon tape has done the trick for me.

worth it? i'd rather have something with such a minor issue that i can fix myself in my backyard than have to spend lots of money on proprietary bearings (idrives use headset cartridge bearings)

Faster? not that Ive seen. but it feels floatier, therefore less fatiguing over time. that may just be me though.

More fun? I am, i don't know about you.

Lesser? no. different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't say idrive is superior to all other suspension designs. it's just another choice that works just as well as a bunch of other choices. But my GT's cost me a whole lot less than any comparable rocky mountain frames.
    I haven't built up my idrive yet, but def will put the teflon tape in.Do you use grease in addition to the tape?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Braugh Bro.
    Yes, I use buzzy's slick honey (generously) and teflon tape. works great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333 View Post
    Yes, I use buzzy's slick honey (generously) and teflon tape. works great.
    I got a coupla idrives during the recent Nashbar sale...
    Those 2009 and 2008 frames prolly been sitting around for a few years...so best believe I'm gonna tear 'em down and teflon & lube everything before throwing a leg over anything.
    Thanks for the tip!
    ...My only real concern is finding a coupla dogbones for the Marathon frame.It's starting to look like I might have to find some spring metal somewhere and having something fabricated.shouldn't be that hard, though...I haven't searched eerywhere for the part yet though...when I find something I'll post it up.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld