mtbr member

ALEX MD19 Wheel set

Well it seems the wheel set that came on the new Zaskar Comp 9r are a bit on the narrow side. The Maxxis Aspens that came on the bike are claimed to be 2.1 but they really are more like 1.9 and fairly low in volume. I've tried to mount up a set of specialized Captains, Bontrager 29-2 and a set of Michelin's all in the 2.1 size. Could not get any of them to run true on this rim. Was wondering if anyone else had any luck? I tried running tubeless, tubes, inflated to 55PSI (with tubes) soaped the rim, all with no luck. Rims are fairly light so I hate to toss them.
    Last edited by tailwaters; 11-14-2013 at 02:16 PM.

mtbr member
    O.K. I was able to get with one of the distributors and the rep was kind enough to call Alex and get the info for me (Being they don't list a contact number anywhere). So being it was so difficult to get this info, I figured I would share what I learned. The MD19 is in fact tubeless compatible , however due to its design it does not require the rubber Stan's rims strips. Simply tape the rim and install valves. I originally installed the rubber rim strips and the added material is what was causing the tires not to seat up. I'll give that a go this weekend and see how it works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwaters View Post
    O.K. I was able to get with one of the distributors and the rep was kind enough to call Alex and get the info for me (Being they don't list a contact number anywhere). So being it was so difficult to get this info, I figured I would share what I learned. The MD19 is in fact tubeless compatible , however due to its design it does not require the rubber Stan's rims strips. Simply tape the rim and install valves. I originally installed the rubber rim strips and the added material is what was causing the tires not to seat up. I'll give that a go this weekend and see how it works.
    Helpful info. How'd they work with the new method? I bought some Black Flag Pros because I wanted to go tubeless, but wasn't super comfortable with the 19mm rims, especially as I wanted to put a larger tire on the front. I'll be going tubeless myself for the first time this weekend, weather allowing.

mtbr member
    Conversion went very well! I purchased some Stans rim tape 21mm and valve stems. Only had one small issue and that was where the rim was pinned together it leaked at the seam. It sealed with Stans sealant but I plan on sanding it down and applying some type of epoxy (very thin) in that area. Otherwise the tires I had trouble with prior, seated up nice and true with no issues. I installed some 2.2 Bontrager's .

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwaters View Post
    Conversion went very well! I purchased some Stans rim tape 21mm and valve stems. Only had one small issue and that was where the rim was pinned together it leaked at the seam. It sealed with Stans sealant but I plan on sanding it down and applying some type of epoxy (very thin) in that area. Otherwise the tires I had trouble with prior, seated up nice and true with no issues. I installed some 2.2 Bontrager's .
    I have those same rims on my GT and want to go tubeless. First off, thank you for all your research on this mystery rim. Quick question: did you drill a larger hole in the inner rim the way Stans instructions describe?

mtbr member
    No need to drill. As I recall the rim strips required the drilling not the valve stems. Now I could be wrong but I can tell you all I did was bevel that entry hole taking the edge off and was good to go. On another note that bike has been sitting in my basement on the trainer for the past two months and I have yet to add any air.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the quick response. I gave my first ever tubeless conversion a try last night and had a hell of a time. But I finally got it to work. The valve gave me the most trouble since it wouldn't stop leaking, but I think a poor tape job around the valve is partially to blame. I'm going try a rubber washer between the outside of the rim and the valve nut. I'm also gonna try your bevel technique.

mtbr member
    Just make sure you the valve is not leaking sealant into the rim cavity. By the way it helps to brush some sealant on the tire bead. What brand tires are you using? Some can be a real pain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm using continental xking. The valve would not seal. The rim is drilled for schraeder valves so maybe that's the problem. I finally gave up and took it to a bike shop. We tried Stan's rim strips, which stopped the valve leak but as I was driving home, the air leaked at the bead. So, I'll give them one more shot and if still no luck, cry mercy and go back to tubes. I don't think this was meant to be!

mtbr member
    I had a set of X-kings last year and never got those darn things to seat up. I've been running tubeless for 6 years now and never had a problem until I tried these. Even took them to the bike shop and he had no luck. The reason is the diameter of their tires run a little big and don't seat well. Try a different brand tire just for kicks. I was able to mount the stock tires with a floor pump. But you'll never get them on with a strip, you have to use tape due the rim having such a low profile. You simply have a bad combo

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give my old tires a try. What about the valve? Were you able to keep the presta valve stable in a schraeder opening?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The bike shop (performance bike) mentioned the rim had too low of a profile so it would never work.

mtbr member
    I had no issues with the valves at all. Are you sure the leak is at the valve and not where the two ends of the rim are joined together? That's were I had the major leak. My stans ended up sealing it up but it took a little extra effort on my end to keep sloshing it around and adding air. Never had a problem since. As far as the profile of the rim, a low profile is what you want which means less air volume to pop the tire onto the bead. At least that's been my take. The whole idea on the rim strips is to fill in void to help the tires seat up.