mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Advice sought: 2007 Avalanche 1.0 vs 2008 Avalanche 2.0

Hi All.

Firstly, I'm a newbie here, thought I'd just get that out of the way, in case I'm asking a stupid question....

I currently own a 1997 GT Arrowhead, with no front-suspension. It cost me around 250 when new, and despite being at the lower end of the price spectrum, I've been very pleased with it. The bike has served me well for 10 years, mainly for cycling country lanes and light off-roading, but I'm now wanting to start going off-road a bit more (still no downhill though), and cant help thinking that it's time for a new bike - with front suspension this time!

Seeing as I've had such good service from my current GT, I'd like another GT, and in my relatively low price range (around 300-400) that puts me in the price range of the 2008 Arrowhead 2.0 disc at 400.

However, I've also seen discounted 2007 Avalanche1.0, for around 330 - although it doesn't have disc-brakes.

I'm very much out of touch with the MTB scene right now, but to be honest, I don’t particularly see that I need disc brakes - after all, a new bike with Vee brakes will be an upgrade from my Arrowhead which has cantilever brakes!

I've looked at various online reviews, and compared component lists, but TBH I keep going around in circles, as none of it means that much to me right now.

So, does anyone have any opinion on whether I'd be better off going for a 2007 Avalanche 1.0 (no discs) or a 2008 Avalanche 2.0 (with discs)?

Additionally, and this may well be a stupid question - while I want to go off road more, I want to still go round the country lanes as much as ever - Am I going to have any problems using front suspension on road? I.e. is it going to reduce my power compared to my current no-suspension arrowhead?

OK thanks for reading so far, and I'll look forward to any replies :-)

Cheers, Rich.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Easiest answer first - suspension. Yes, it'll take some power off, especially when exerting changing forces on the fork, i.e. the pumping motion when out of the saddle and accelerating/climbing. A lockout on the fork will help stop this but on cheaper forks it's not perfect - it will still have movement. It may also eventually stop having any effect - my Judy J3 did, which apparently was common. Personally I don't think you'll notice it as much as having say, thick tyres, or a combination of crap components like cheap hubs.

Disc brakes - depends. Cheap disc brakes aren't terrible - I borrowed an average cable pull Shimano recently while my Hope M4s were being serviced. Squealed like a pig in the wet, but it stopped OK. As good as the stock V brakes I had on the 06 Avalanche 1.0.

In the end I haven't seen the component listings - list em! - but I'd probably go with the non-disc 1.0, which is what I originally did. You won't get anything amazing for the difference but it might be a little bit better all round.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yep, what he said. Especially since your only doing light off road stuff so the disc brakes won't be that necessary anyways. You'll probably get better components with the 1.0.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just had a quick look - the 2.0 is 8 speed, which may cause you grief if you come to upgrade stuff, and has Alivio/Deore kit.

The 1.0 (I can't find a non-disc version, are you sure?) has 9 speed and Deore/Deore LX. I'd definitely go with that.

Suntour forks on both though - can't help thinking I paid less for my 2006 1.0 (389), and got a decent Judy fork amongst other bits and pieces

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just wanted to say thanks for the reples on this. Sorry, my reply is a bit(!) late - I went away with work straight after posting this, and then the bike thing slipped to the back of my mind for a while...

Just to clarfy, I'm sure the bike I saw was a non-disc 2007 1.0 (that's what it said anyway). I think it was on Wiggle or Cyclestore website, but TBH I can't find it on either now, so it may have been somewhere else or just sold out. Either way, I'm guessing it was maybe a grey import?

Anyway, as luck would have it, my company participates in the "cycle to work" thing, and the ~40% discount from that throws a whole new light on matters :-) So it's now a decision between the 2008 Avalanche 1.0 (~300 after discount) and the 2008 Avalanche Expert (~430 after discount) . Today I went to look at both in a local bike shop, and I'm tempted by the Expert - the guy in the shop seemed to think it was the way to go as well, but I'm half wondering if it's over-kill for my needs?

If anyone does have any comments on these two bikes then please LMK. I have to place my order tomorrow lunchtime (company rules on the scheme), so considering how long it's taken me to reply I won't be offended if i get no replyies by then (or none at all!).