Thread: 96 97 GT Xizang

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

96 97 GT Xizang

Im looking for frame specs for the 96 to 97 Xizang.
    im hoping someone here knows them or has a copy of the catalog, also was this frame designed for 63mm of travel?

thanks
    Derrick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derrgti
    Im looking for frame specs for the 96 to 97 Xizang.
    im hoping someone here knows them or has a copy of the catalog, also was this frame designed for 63mm of travel?

thanks
    Derrick
    Page 6 of 12 of this link has the 95 specs. They weren't shown in the 96 and 97 catalogs.
    I'm sure it was designed along the same lines as the Zaskar. The 96 Zaskar had a 60mm travel fork and the 97 model had a 63mm fork. Xizang was only sold as a frame set in 96 and 97 but am sure it was front suspension corrected in design.
    http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1995.pdf
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks for the info.. that is what I thought but was not 100%.
    So going by that with a 80mm travel fork on my Xizang I probably have about a 70degree headtube.
    Also the serial # on my BB is GTX97XX cant remember the last two digits of the top of my head, I am assuming this means GT, Xizang, 1997 and # in prod. line. is this correct?
    thanks again.
    Derrick

beer is too easy to drink
    Sep 2007
    my 98 xizang came with a 63mm travel sid i have been considering a different fork but i dont think i would ever go over 100mm on it
    six pack cooler coming soon!

mtbr member
    My son tried an 80mm on his and it feels real weird compared to mine with a 96 Judy SL.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah it is kinda slow on the trails, I have to use a lot of body english to make her carve thru the trees. Before I put the SID on I had the Rockshox/Specialized Judy FSX on it which was 63mm and it handled great.
    I am trying to find the travel spacer (10mm) to put in the Sid which will reduce it to 63mm, but have not had to much luck finding one.
    I was also thinking about putting a rigid fork on it and converting the GT over to SS, as I am looking at getting a steel hardtail built.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by derrgti
    Yeah it is kinda slow on the trails, I have to use a lot of body english to make her carve thru the trees. Before I put the SID on I had the Rockshox/Specialized Judy FSX on it which was 63mm and it handled great.
    I am trying to find the travel spacer (10mm) to put in the Sid which will reduce it to 63mm, but have not had to much luck finding one.
    I was also thinking about putting a rigid fork on it and converting the GT over to SS, as I am looking at getting a steel hardtail built.
    A shorty stem will make it steer quicker. 50 or 75 mm. The "chopper rake" of an old frame with newer long travel fork makes the front wheel want to come up when you are climbing in my experience. I use a fox fx80 on a 94 zaskar and it works well. Once you adjust the sag correctly (.5" or so), it keeps the geometry real close to the 63 or so mm the frames were designed for. The early forks were not designed to have a sag.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO carbon 29 2010 felt solo nine SS, 1994 Zaskar ,1995 GT Pantera, 2001 Hive Ti SS....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron horseman
    A shorty stem will make it steer quicker. 50 or 75 mm. The "chopper rake" of an old frame with newer long travel fork makes the front wheel want to come up when you are climbing in my experience. I use a fox fx80 on a 94 zaskar and it works well. Once you adjust the sag correctly (.5" or so), it keeps the geometry real close to the 63 or so mm the frames were designed for. The early forks were not designed to have a sag.

The only problem with going to a shrter stem is that the frame is already on the small side for me and the toptube on GT's (older ones anyways) is kinda short so I would end up being to cramped.
    The front end does like to come up very easily on climbs but it was like that with the old fork aswell so that doesn't bother me, its just the turn in response.
    but with a new bike on the way I am thinking of going rigid on the GT, anyone know who makes a nice carbon mtb fork?

Derrick

beer is too easy to drink
    Sep 2007
    saw this link in another post has pre 98 gt dealer catalogs
    www.mtb-kataloge.de
    six pack cooler coming soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mycrusierhasabottleopener
    saw this link in another post has pre 98 gt dealer catalogs
    www.mtb-kataloge.de

thanks for the link.. so it looks like my Xizang is a 97.
    So I finally found another bike and purchased it that will replace the GT as my geared xc bike, so I plan on converting the GT over to a SS. I am thinking of replacing the SID with a rigid fork, who make a rigid fork that is adjusted for 63mm of travel, oh also without spending to many $$, I would love to get a carbon fork for it but that will probably be out of the budget right now.

thanks
    Derrick

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mycrusierhasabottleopener
    my 98 xizang came with a 63mm travel sid i have been considering a different fork but i dont think i would ever go over 100mm on it

I wouldn't go anything over 80mm on it...
    80mm isn't to terrible it just isn't as quick when you are in tight singletrack but the advantage when you are going downhill it makes for a very stable bike..

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I put a 125mm RS physlo on my 92 xizang and really like it. It came with a RS mag 20 and I hated it. Got it from my dad with the RS mag 20 on it and went over the bars 3 times the first ride. Put the 125mm fork on it and solved all my problems. Didn't notice the front wheel coming up too much once I got the stem dialed in but that maybe my riding style. Now I converted it to a SS so I don't even worry about the front coming up becuase i am always standing up, hehe. I really like the way it handles with the longer fork on the downhills but again I think it maybe my riding style, it works for me compared to shorter forks.

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878
    I put a 125mm RS physlo on my 92 xizang and really like it. It came with a RS mag 20 and I hated it. Got it from my dad with the RS mag 20 on it and went over the bars 3 times the first ride. Put the 125mm fork on it and solved all my problems. Didn't notice the front wheel coming up too much once I got the stem dialed in but that maybe my riding style.
    I have 100mm Marzocchi MXC's on my 99 Xizang. Feels fine to me and not that much different to my 92 Avalanche with Manitou 4's. It still feels like it is on rails on faster sections and I don't have problems with the front wheel lifting on climbs.
    Fork sag also uses up some of the available travel, so I'm probably not close to 100mm anyhow.

Out of interest, does anyone know what fork travel the 99 Xizang we designed to use?

I think a shorter stem with a longer fork travel is key. If it feels ok, just ride it
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

mtbr member
    80mm