Thread: 95 GT Rebound

Downhill fan

95 GT Rebound

Hey all. I am new here. I bought my 95 GT Rebound new in 95. Paid 450.00 for it new. I put it thru hell downhill biking at Loon Mntn & Bretton Woods in NH. I almost swear in indistructable LOL. I just put in a new set of tubes & replaced the original tires. After owning it for 14 years & it treating me very well with not 1 broken part I want to give back & maybe treat it to some mods. I am really new to modifying bikes (its usually mustangs for me) so take it easy on the new guy LOL. I am open to suggestions as to what to do with it. I know some may suggest to scrap it because of the age but I really like it & it still rides sweet. Its all original except for front & rear specific Big Kahuna tires with some mean tread & toe clips. Here are the specs on my bike as it came from GT. I have the candy blue color. Any suggestions that are easy on the wallet would be nice :-)

1995 GT REBOUND
    Bicycle Type Mountain bike, front suspension
    Sugg Retail $449.99
    Weight Unspecified
    Sizes 14.5", 16", 18", 20"
    Colors Black, candy blue

Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction TIG-welded steel
    Frame Tubing Material Chromoly, oversize, main triangle
    Fork Brand & Model Rock Shox Quadra 5
    Fork Material Magnesium, triple-clamp crown
    Rear Shock

Components
    Component Group Shimano Altus C90
    Brakeset Shimano Altus C90 brakes, Shimano Altus C90 levers
    Shift Levers Shimano Altus C90 Rapid Fire TX
    Front Derailleur Shimano Altus C90, bottom-pull/clamp-on 28.6 mm
    Rear Derailleur Shimano AceraX
    Crankset Shimano Altus C90, 24/32/38 teeth
    Pedals HTI P-76
    Bottom Bracket
    BB Shell Width
    Rear Cogs 7-speed, 11 - 28 teeth
    Chain Shimano CN-UG50, 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost Alloy micro-adjust, 26.8 mm diameter
    Saddle GT MTB Racing
    Handlebar GT steel multi-position
    Handlebar Extensions Not included
    Handlebar Stem GT chromoly
    Headset 1 1/8" sealed mechanism

Wheels
    Hubs Shimano Altus C90/Shimano AceraX
    Rims Weinmann 4019, 36-hole
    Tires 26 x 1.95" Tioga Psycho II
    Spoke Brand Stainless steel, straight gauge
    Spoke Nipples Brass nipples

Last edited by #Cyclelife; 07-21-2009 at 05:33 PM.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    I think it really depends upon what's its intended use. No doubt that frame is going to last a lot longer, you could just treat it as a commuter and a simple overhaul will do. You could try to lighten it up, make it a single speed, which costs almost nothing. I hesitate encouraging you to dump a bunch of money into upgrades to make it a full trail machine. Best to ride the heck out of it as-is, then if you break something, upgrade at that point.

(its funny to read my own advice, I've dumped probably too much money into my Karakoram, good luck!)

Downhill fan
    My bike will see both trail riding & downhill. I dont think I want to make it a single speed but I do want to lighten it up (fairly light as it is). I do want to swap out the original GT handlebars (with built in bar ends) for a longer handle bar setup without bar ends - better handling.
    With this bike being a 95 model, is there anyway to upgrade to disc brakes?
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

mtbr member
    The conversion to disc brakes is spendy. In addition to the actual discs and calipers, you'll likely have to change out the fork, headset, stem and brake levers. You'll still be stuck with v-brakes out back because your frame doesn't have disc mounts. Conversion kits are available, but at an expense, if they fit, and hopefully without modifying the rear dropouts.

At that point, you may want to think about buying a used machine off Craigslist that has all of the newer technologies you'll need for trail riding...especially if you're considering downhill.

Downhill fan
    The GT has already seen years of downhilling. Since visting this forum, it has renewed my interest in Biking alot & has got me to dust off my GT thats been in strorage for 3 years and then become a member as of the other day. I have taken it full apart, cleaned & adjusted everything & its once again in top condition & ready for abuse. I guess I may steer clear of the discs & just enhance what I have to the fullest. What kind of components will aid in lightening it?
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

mtbr member
    If you're familiar with Mustangs, then you've heard this quote:
    "How fast can you afford to go"

A similar one in the Bike scene is
    "Light, cheap, strong, ...Pick 2"

I agree with Linoleum's thinking. Yes you can upgrade, but it will cost. No offense, but the bike is very outdated, and the components are mediocre (especially now)

If it's a labor of love, with all things considered, do what your soul tells you to do. It's possible to find newer high end components that are slightly used cheaply, but it does take time and research to know what you can use, as well as the tools to do the work.

Wheels and tires are probably the easiest way to lighten the bike, but you want a strong set also if you're going to bomb the bike downie style.

I like to do my own work. If you do too, pick one component to upgrade, research it, buy the tools and parts, and Git'er done!
    It's your thing, Do what you want to do

Downhill fan
    I appreciate your advice, True is outdated LOL, cannot be denied. I will most likely keep the mods to a minimum & just ride the chit out of it. I am surprised its still in as good a condition as it is considering what I put it through. I will replace the handle bars & lighten it up some with maybe a brake upgrade over what I have now. Its still a blast to ride.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

mtbr member
    It's really an aluminum frame city bike disguised as a mountain bike. Altus CT-90 were the low-end bike store Shimano components back in 1995 only Tourney was lower. The Rebound was GT's low price point aluminum model and they only did it because other companies were trying to spec the cheapest aluminum frame bike they could back then. By 95 a good majority of the market had switched to aluminum framed bikes.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    No prob,

One thing I didn't mention was the frame geometry.

Your frame was designed for a short travel fork 50-70mm? Most forks today are 100mm minimum travel unless modified. If you upgrade the fork with anything above 80mm, your head tube angle will be decreased significantly.

This will make the steering seem sluggish. Slack angles are great for downhill stability, but bad for climbing, because the front end will meander. That's why many older hardtail owners turn them into Rigid SS or Commuter/cruiser style bikes (myself included).

Your Rebound isn't dead yet. Maybe you can give it a different existence. Just for comparison, test ride some new bikes, you might like what you feel. It's not treason
    Good Luck!
    It's your thing, Do what you want to do

Downhill fan
    A new bike isnt in the budget right now but I have given that thought though & have already been out to a few local places looking at bikes. I will lightly mod my GT & keep saving for a suitable replacement bike for the future now that I have a renewed interest in all this again. I really do appreciate the advice & knowledge you all have in this & I am reading everything here & absorbing it like a sponge LOL. I still have alot to learn & thanx for being patient with the new guy while I do so! Looks like I found a great site!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The 95 Rebound was my original GT too!

I sold it to my tennis coach when I picked up a 97 Avalanche.

I recently found out that he still rides it.

Downhill fan
    I have to say I love my Gt!!!!
    I just had it out last weekend for a full day of Downhill biking again. This is one tough ass bike to handle all the downhill biking it has since 96! A few friends & I were at Snow Mountain in NH (Waterville Valley) & the only issue i had was my seat snapping off on the first run down! The bolt that holds the seat gave up after all these years. Went to a near by bike shop & they hooked me up for free & got me on my way. Had a great time though the riding was fairly easy. I tore through the expert trail in minutes. Need something harder for sure. Its a great place to be as we had a newbie with us on his first downhill expedition - he bled LOL!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Downhill fan
    I rediscover this post 3 years later and I'm embarrassed I put pics of that old GT up LOL. In 3 years I have learned more than a lot about bikes. The GT is retired to being a stationary bike on a bike trainer, I built a K2 full suspension XC bike from the frame up to replace the GT (around 32-33lbs) and bought a Giant Glory for downhill days. I really had to laugh at myself for starting this post Guess I had to start somewhere!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)