mtbr member
    Jan 2009

94 Zaskar frame/fork pair-up questions...

Just got a beautiful 94 Zaskar frame in great condition. I have heard that I should not use a fork with over 80mm of travel b/c it will screw around with the bikes geometry. There are plenty of new, good 80mm forks out there so I'm not worried about finding one. But is 80mm even too much?

Can someone explain this to me? Suggestions/comments/advice/experience please....

-JF

mtbr member
    I can't remember if that frame was designed for a 395 or 405mm axle to crown length fork...probably 395. I'd say the safer bet would be a 63-73mm fork. Mag 21 probably but tough to find a decent one or a Judy XC or SL which actually were introduced late 94 but as 95 models. There are shorter travel SID's too but they are 98 model and newer. Depends if you're trying to keep the bike period correct. Ive got NOS GT Bologna Lite Rigid forks if you want to go that route.
    I'll measure the axle to crown on one of those and get back to you.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Its not that I want to have the bike built up with parts from the same era, I just want to keep the ride the way it was intended by not screwing up the geometry.