mtbr member
    Oct 2014

2015 GT Backwoods

GT Backwoods Expert Mountain Bike - 2015 Performance Exclusive

I am in the market, seems like a lot of bang for the buck. This bike is a Performance Bike exclusive, they don't even have it on the GT website. Anyone have one or know anything else on this??

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The Performance Exclusives are bikes that are made specifically for Performance hence you won't see this particular Backwoods, and you are correct as you will not find this specific Backwoods in the GT Catalog. The parts specs on the Performance Exclusives are meant to provide more affordable options at their stores.

But I have test ridden this Backwoods and though it feels a few pounds heavier than the Zaskar, it feels racy upfront but great pick up when you do put the power down. Definitely a great choice for the money and simplicity of maintenance as it's a hard tail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just bought a GT Backwoods Expert. Pretty well spec'ed for the price and it was another $100 off with their after Christmas sale. Paid $899 for it.

So far so good, first MTB, I've been riding road for several years but with all my friends riding MTBs in the winter, I got tired of riding alone in the cold. So far so good, got in a little over 24 miles, mostly on pavement since the MTB trail near me is closed after it rained mid-week. Did get about 1.5 miles on dirt, like that I can lock out the front suspension on pavement and engage it on dirt. Spins up pretty good for the weight (guessing in the high 20 lbs range?) but obviously nothing like my road bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Now that I've been able to ride the MTB trails near me a few times (lot of rain lately), I have a lot more dirt miles on it. Very easy to control, Shimano Deore shifts very quickly, brakes stop the bike quite well. The 27.5 wheels make navigating the really tight areas on the course easier and I don't think I'm giving up much to a 29er when the trail staightens out. Climbs well too, not a lot of total elevation gain where I ride but parts of the course have pretty steep up and down sections and getting up the risers even after braking on the way down aren't too difficult. Still not at all an experienced MTB rider-mostly mid-pack on Strava at this point on the course I've been riding so I know I'm not yet getting the most out of the bike. But for a beginner, it's been a pretty easy adjustment with what seems to be a pretty good bike for the money.