Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 Karakoram Elite vs Karakoram 1.0

10K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  swanny29er 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and don't know much about mountain bikes so please excuse my ignorance.

I decided to buy a good easy rolling MTB for trails in the country side, along the beach and in São Paulo which is quite hilly.

A friend of mine has a GT Karakoram 3.0 2011 model which has a smooth ride that I quite like. I am currently doubting between the GT Karakoram 1.0 (2012 or 2013 model) that has quite good reviews or the new 2014 GT Karakoram Elite model. The 1.0 seems to have slightly better specs but I don't know enough about mountain bikes to tell how big this difference really is ; )

So my question, is the 2014 Elite a followup of the 1.0 model? How similar are they? The Elite is a little cheaper, the tires seem a bit faster which I like and there's a white color option that is quite nice. Because of this I'm inclined towards the Elite model but maybe I should I go for the 1.0 instead?

I cannot find much information or reviews of the GT Elite online so I decided to post this here.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and don't know much about mountain bikes so please excuse my ignorance.

I decided to buy a good easy rolling MTB for trails in the country side, along the beach and in São Paulo which is quite hilly.

A friend of mine has a GT Karakoram 3.0 2011 model which has a smooth ride that I quite like. I am currently doubting between the GT Karakoram 1.0 (2012 or 2013 model) that has quite good reviews or the new 2014 GT Karakoram Elite model. The 1.0 seems to have slightly better specs but I don't know enough about mountain bikes to tell how big this difference really is ; )

So my question, is the 2014 Elite a followup of the 1.0 model? How similar are they? The Elite is a little cheaper, the tires seem a bit faster which I like and there's a white color option that is quite nice. Because of this I'm inclined towards the Elite model but maybe I should I go for the 1.0 instead?

I cannot find much information or reviews of the GT Elite online so I decided to post this here.

Thanks!
I've got a 2.0 and to be honest its been an okay bike. Bedding the brake pads seemed to take a lot of time and adjustment and the XC 28 fork is a bit to flexy for me,( I'm 220 lbs YMMV). Ghost shifting was a problem when it was new but seems to have gone away for the most part. I'd suggest posting in the Beginner's Forum where you'll get some responses to your questions.

#5 ·
Yes, the specs seem slightly inferior compared to the 1.0. I wonder how big of a difference that really makes for a mtb noob like me. I've been cycling on an old crappy mountainbike for years so anything will be quite a bit better than what I currently ride I guess.

#6 ·
I have a 2012 1.0 and could not be happier with how it has performed. For the price level compared to other brands it is specs much better for less. The only thing I have done was upgraded the tires and put a shorter stem on it. Unfortunately I have been spoiled with a full suspension Trek Remedy that I've been using the past few months and am now ready to sell mine. My local trails are just way more fun with full suspension

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.