Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 GT Sensor and Force 27.5

145K views 603 replies 106 participants last post by  mtb4p 
#1 ·
#17 ·
Yes, I noticed that as well. That looked like a crazy amount of crank movement! My knees would not like that...

#18 ·
You don't feel it one bit when riding it. My buddy has a current model Sensor 9r and it's stinking nice! The new one being lower and slacker will only make it better. the iDrive is wild when you're climbing because your mass actually shifts backwards a bit when the suspension compresses on technical stuff so the traction literally digs in. A normal bike, the rear wheel is left to it's own devices but the iDrive actually borrows your body weight to assist in climbing traction. Lots going on with that design and most of it's good;) Only draw backs to me about HIS bike is frame weight and it's pretty loud. Lots of squeaks from the pivots but that could be down to his maintenance, or lack thereof. If the new frame addresses those two issues I'd have to think about a 650b version pretty hard, UNLESS Knolly's secret bike is a carbon 650b. A plastic, 650b Knolly or GT could possibly be joining my Prime in the garage next summer:)

#19 ·
I have ridden an old Sensor 26 and was blown away by the suspension performance. I don't remember it having any crank movement like that! I just can't believe that you could not feel that level of crank movement.

#24 ·
I can't get over the resurgence GT is making. I first fell in love with GT back int he LTS days, but the past couple of years have been...well not so impressive. But you can see them gearing up and kick ass, and its about time. I think the Distortion was the first signs of it, but they're going full tilt now. That blue and white Sensor looks just amazing, and I have no doubts it will ride even better than it looks.

#25 ·
That Sensor looks like a serious contender to join my Xizang 9r. That or the Santacruz Solo. The Sensor will be available from september onward, the Force from january.
I've been on the Sensor 9r for a couple of rides and that bike was awesome. Only drawback : it's big as a truck. Once you riding it you don't feel it but you need a ladder to get on it. With the medium wheelsize that should be better.
Now I need to go and see my friend Mark M., maybe he already has one of the new Sensors in his truck.

#27 ·
The Prime is sheer excellence. My buddy rides a Yeti SB95 and we swapped bikes for a ride the other day. He was blown away by the pedaling efficiency and yet he also couldn't believe the downhill prowess. He didn't say he was ready to give up his SB but he was very surprised by the Prime. He said he always assumed his bike was superior due to the switch pivot and all the chit chat about the SB but now he's not so convinced. He wasn't expecting the slap in the face...

As far as my ride on the SB??? Meh...

The one caveat to the Prime is it's pretty heavy. It doesn't feel like it when you're riding it, and I have mine built to 29.9lbs(with lots of carbon AND carbon wheels), but it is most definitely an AM bike! A few guys XC race them but they're not expecting to be competitive. It's just for fun.

I believe GT is updating the Sensor 9r to the new AOS system. I thought I read that somewhere...

#28 ·
Thanks, that's good to hear about the Prime. I live in Texas, so if I buy one I probably won't be able to demo it. I'm not too concerned about the weight - I weigh 225 and can't seem to tell a difference between bikes that are 2-4 lbs different. I put a much higher premium on pedaling efficiency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.