Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 GT Force

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  socalMX 
#1 ·
I'm a bit surprised at the lack of pictures and posts on the 2014 GT Force range.

I managed to demo a Medium and Large and then set about buying a Large frame and building it up.

The build was fairly standard fare for a quality carbon fame. 160 Pike Dual Position, X01, Avid Trail brakes, SixC handlebar, Straitline 50mm stem, WTB i23 rims on a cheap formula front hub and Hadley rear, Hans Dampf Trail Star front and Pace Star rear.

I'm very happy with the bike, it was built up to handle 80+% of my riding with an XC and Downhill bike covering the other 20%.

The bike is very balanced and feels like a mini DH bike that can pedal. It is coping well with the bigger jumps and loves to corner. I put this down to the stiff frame.

Any way, I thought I'd add some pictures. The light in the forest isn't great so taking pictures is very difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Getting busy on it Momentus, great to see...

Threw a leg over this bike the other day, very interesting bike. Indeed feels like a mini DH bike... Well worth a ride....

#5 ·
I too am surprised by the lack of owners posting about this bike on MTBR (and whether this means there is just a lack of owners).

I think it's one of the best looking 150-160mm 27.5 bikes on the market, and the AOS(?) suspension looks very interesting with it's high single pivot combined with GT's who moving BB thing.

But I was even more surprised that they released the Sanction so soon after this bike, and the Sanction is only 10mm greater travel and alloy-only by the looks of things, with a completely different suspension design. And by all accounts, the Athertons (or maybe just Dan) were involved with making the Sanction a 'better descender' than the Force. Which contradicts what's written above, and what I've also heard folks say about the Force's descending prowess.

In any case, I'd love to throw a leg over one if anyone in Melbourne, Australia has one and is reading this and wants to meet up for a spin.

#8 ·
Which frame size is this? Does the breaking affect the suspension performance? What about the weight of the stock setup?

What about reach and stack? I can't find the answer and GT does not provide us with this info on their website.

Thanks
My frame is a large
I have not noticed any braking / suspension issues
My bike is just under 30lbs. It has been built up so am not sure on stock weight.

Reach and stack, not sure, I'll see what I can measure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#7 ·
The new and Old Gt's are so underrated.I have distortion that I built up to my spec as a shore bike. It's the funnest bike I have ever ridden period. Quiver killer. It's no surprise that you like it so much.
Great bikes for pedalling up techy climbs and hammering down. Ive converted my distortion to a 650b front and am really liking the smoother rollover I can see how nice a full 650 gt would be.

#10 ·
Hi all,

From sydney Australia.

I have force x expert large,

Love this bike! But do a have a few gripes

Stupid rebound speed adjuster near impossible! I am running dead centre of speed, are you guys running faster or slower side for rebound speed?

Upgrades:

Hadley hubs front and rear, DT comp spokes on flow ex rims

32 n/w raceface
Xt cassette
Wolftooth 40t stepup
Odi rogue grips

Future upgrades:
Pike forks
Carbon bars
Possible monarch plus debonair

#15 ·
How different does the head angle change with a 160mm fork? On the website, it's listed with a 67.2 deg HA for the carbon (which comes with a 150mm fork). On the alloy Force, it's listed as 66.7 deg with a 160mm fork.

Given that both models come with a Fox fork, would the Pike's different A2C affect the geometry differently?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.