mtbr member

2013 Karakoram 2.0 QA issues?

I posted, in this thread, the issues that I had with the 2013 Karakoram 2.0 that picked up.

Nashbar was very good about sending me a replacement bike, and my replacement bike had none of those issues, but they very first time I took the replacement bike trail riding, I could immediately tell the replacement bike's fork was not right. I don't know if it came that way, or if I did something in my first 10 road miles of riding it.

I swapped forks before sending the old one back, but the second XC 28 fork died almost immediately after that, possibly because of a concrete bridge that has a slight ledge as it goes from concrete to asphalt that I hit while riding at reasonably fast road speeds with the fork locked out.

That lead me to upgrade to a Manitou Tower Pro, and I wrote it off as an issue with the fork that wasn't worth worrying about since the fork wasn't very good when it was working.

My neighbor liked my bike and picked up an XL Karakoram 2.0 that I agreed to assemble for him. His was good out of the box with the exception of the brakes, which both squeaked terribly, as if they'd been contaminated with oil, and cleaning the rims and pads with 91% rubbing alcohol didn't help. Again, Nashbar was good about sending him new brake pads, which fixed the problem. I did not really check his fork. It moves some, but I didn't consider it might not be working properly on arrival.

Another friend who rides with me is upgrading from a big box 29er, he sees me and my neighbor riding these with him on the local trails, and they go on sale, so he has a M sized Karakoram 2.0 sent to my house. This time it was deja vu: The rear brake was very, very soft, (probably a good amount of air in the brake, you need to pull the lever all the way to lock the back tire up, and need to pull quite a bit for the rear brakes to do anything at all) the handlebar markings aren't remotely centered, and the front fork is extremely difficult to compress even if you completely the left (preload) top cap allowing the coil to come out when compressed.

I know I'm probably one of the only people outside of an LBS to have put four of these together, but it's bizarre how many issues I've seen on those four, and the pattern of dangerously leaky/soft rear brakes, unusable front fork and misstamped handlebar was something I was wondering if other people have run into.

Anyone else order a GT 2013 Karakoram 2.0 that was shipped to them directly from the factory? Any of these issues sound familiar?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've got about 150-200 miles on mine, mostly commuting on paved paths with a little rocky trail action to get from one paved area to another. My rear wheel just recently went way out of true, I noticed that a couple of spokes are very loose, this is concerning with the # of miles on the bike.

I have also noticed the BB making some noise. I may need to have that looked at, I usually leave BBs up to the Pros.

I haven't addressed the issue yet, I've been riding a different bike until that gets taken care of.

No problems with my brakes or fork yet.

mtbr member
    My crank fell off on the trails. I upgraded the crankset as a result.

It took many e-mail and many calls, but Nashbar is replacing the crank, but only after they receive the damaged crank set, get a replacement and then send that back out...which could take weeks.

I am definitely at a loss as to what has been going ton with the fork issues multiple people have had with their Karakoram 2.0s, and also frustrated with issues with the handlebars and crankset, among other things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have a Karakoram 3.0 and there are no markings on the handlebars. Is this normal? My other bike (Giant Talon) has markings on the handlebars. I was a bit disappointed. Guess I will find my measuring tape and figure it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad220 View Post
    I have a Karakoram 3.0 and there are no markings on the handlebars. Is this normal?
    I can't be sure on the 3.0, but I know of the five 2.0s that I've assembled (me x2 and and the two friends mentioned above, including replacement M bike) three had the handlebar markings properly stamped, and two of them had the marking significantly off centered.