mtbr member

2013 GT Zaskar Comp 9r

Well I pulled the trigger on a zaskar comp 9r a couple weeks ago and finally managed to get it all dialed in this weekend. Prior to scoring the GT on an unbelievable sale I was planning on buying a Airborne Guardian. For an additional $75 I was able to pick up the GT which was a huge upgrade and over 4lbs lighter. As she sits it weighs in at 26.5 lbs. I've cut the bars down to 26", swamped out the seat post with a carbon offset, shortened all rthe cables and break lines, swaped the saddle and will convert the wheel set to tubless this spring. All in all very pleased with the components and can't believe a bike of this quality could be purchased at such a great price. Makes me wonder why I ride a $3500 hard tail. Can't really comment on the handling as its only seen a few miles on a paved road until the local trails dry out.

mtbr member
    Tubeless conversion on the Zaskar with the Alex MD19 wheel set was a snap. However there are a few things to note. First off according to Alex these wheels do have the new tubeless bead. Secondly these are very shallow which means you simply need rim tape and valves. You won't be as able to use Stans rim stripes due to the rim being so shallow. The only issue I ran into with these wheels is they leak where they are pinned together at the seam. I would suggest sanding the joint lightly and brush a thin coat of some type of flexible sealant. Aside from that small issue they inflated and seated up nice and true. Don't expect to get anything larger than a 2.2 on these narrow wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice write up tailwaters. I almost pulled the trigger on a Comp 9r. I opted for an older GT Peace 9r SS. Kinda makes me wonder if I had stayed the course and gotten the Comp.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.