Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    My gloves stink

Weird geometry

Compared to other bikes in the XC race category, the Zaskar 100 geometry is odd. The chainstays are long, the top tube is short, the head angle is slack. Given those numbers, I would not buy one of these without a thorough demo ride. Or...I might be willing to bank on a few credible reviews, credibility being 1) The reviewer hasn't already bought the bike, and 2) the reviewer has spent time on other comparable bikes. Unfortunately, as others have said, there are no such reviews.

GT's marketing strategy seems to be to hoping we'll be seduced by the sexy curves and a "smokin' deal" from Performance or a web dealer.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    this is a very comfortable bike it fits me very well i got a xl frame and im very happy with it

parts leftover
    The Zaskar 100 29 chainstays are 453mm vs. (for example) the Specialized Epic's at 447mm. 6mm difference isn't a whole lot - a quarter of an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Appendage View Post
    Compared to other bikes in the XC race category, the Zaskar 100 geometry is odd. The chainstays are long, the top tube is short, the head angle is slack. Given those numbers, I would not buy one of these without a thorough demo ride. Or...I might be willing to bank on a few credible reviews, credibility being 1) The reviewer hasn't already bought the bike, and 2) the reviewer has spent time on other comparable bikes. Unfortunately, as others have said, there are no such reviews.

GT's marketing strategy seems to be to hoping we'll be seduced by the sexy curves and a "smokin' deal" from Performance or a web dealer.

My gloves stink
    You're right, they're all over the place:
    Trek Superfly 100 CS is 452mm
    Rocky Mtn Element 425mm
    Giant Anthem 462mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey, guys, stop.
    GT Zaskar 100 9r isn't a XC race bike, it's a trail bike, fast f*cking furious trailbike. and it never was a XC-bike

My gloves stink

Listed as "XC Race" on GT website

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Gentleman View Post
    Hey, guys, stop.
    GT Zaskar 100 9r isn't a XC race bike, it's a trail bike, fast f*cking furious trailbike. and it never was a XC-bike
    It's listed as "XC Race" on the GT website, but I'd agree, with the upright seating position and slack front end, it's seems to be more of a short-travel trail bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    GT's marketing managers made mistakes sometime

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Awesome bike, and love it. However mine does not way anywhere near as much as boudes. Currently ruining hope pro 2 on stans crests, Thomson post, carbon bars. X9 drivetrain although an issue with that, as changing the front mech but it appears to be too hihg. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wish I can bring down the weight of mine to 11kg. It's a medium expert (white one) and weighs 12.55 stock with candy 2 pedals.

Replaced the handlebar to crank brothers cobalt 11 hi riser (was cobalt 2 hi riser), and a 20mm setback crank brothers cobalt 3 ( was cobalt 2 no offset) and only got it down to 12.35kg.

I would like to retain the double front rings, how much does the xt weigh or save me by, like the one on the XL version posted earlier?

What Is the fork on the L ? And how much did it lower the weight by?

Vicoz

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey, guys, stop.
    I think it's a good analysis and what I actually really like about the bike coming from a dh bike and why I am installing a 120mm Fox Talas to make it even more trail worthy. Btw I ride the 2012 Pro. The original wheelset is also a trail wheelset even though its lighter in 2013.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hey, guys, stop.

I guess I should sell mine if it's not a "REAL Race Bike" ...

Little longer stem, lighter wheelset and the right pressure in the shocks....

I got 5th in my age category at my last race on this bike.

with a little more training and better diet, i'll probably podium in 2013...

but yah, you're right, it's not a "Race Bike"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 ZASKAR 9r 100 expert-427257_4137724328801_647802174_n.jpg  

Last edited by y33dave; 02-26-2014 at 11:41 AM.
    Live
    Love

SPIN

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dabeetereater View Post
    this is a very comfortable bike it fits me very well i got a xl frame and im very happy with it
    How tall are you to use an XL? I'm looking at buying and I'm 189 cm tall. Normally, I'd go with the L but it seems like the discussion her suggests I go with XL. Suggetions welcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardfb View Post
    How tall are you to use an XL? I'm looking at buying and I'm 189 cm tall. Normally, I'd go with the L but it seems like the discussion her suggests I go with XL. Suggetions welcome.
    I'm usually a medium for my 175 height, and on my medium size Zaskar 100 9r expert I found the distance from seat to handle bar a little short. But I flipped the stem over and got a 2cm setback seat post and now feels like home. So I think to consider the next size up if your height is in between sizes. The flipped over stem feels a little more racy and engaged IMO.

Vicoz

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoz2009 View Post
    I'm usually a medium for my 175 height, and on my medium size Zaskar 100 9r expert I found the distance from seat to handle bar a little short. But I flipped the stem over and got a 2cm setback seat post and now feels like home. So I think to consider the next size up if your height is in between sizes. The flipped over stem feels a little more racy and engaged IMO.

Vicoz
    I figured I can make those kinds of adjustments, so then it's a question of what I can't change. The GT specs lists the stand over height as 807.7/838.8/872.6 for M/L/XL. My inseam is about 86 cm (34"), so that XL may just be too tall. Or am I doing the match wrong?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by y33dave View Post
    I guess I should sell mine if it's not a "REAL Race Bike" ....

Little longer stem, lighter wheelset and the right pressure in the shocks....

I got 5th in my age category at my last race on this bike.

with a little more training and better diet, i'll probably podium in 2013...

but yah, you're right, it's not a "Race Bike"
    I totally agree the bike can be setup as a XC race bike without a problem with changes you mention it would not be a problem to have a dual setup for the bike. Just a light race wheelset is really all that is needed. A fork with compression adjustment is another option and I would setup the front a low as possible.

Regarding the lower front could lower the stem more but then my controls will hit the top tube even more. What do you guys do to get a low front but avoid hitting the TT in a crash?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Has anyone had issues with front gear shift? I'm finding that as soon as the mech gets a bit of mud in the general area it does not want to shift up. And I'm having to add tension at the shifter mid ride. Changing cables and routers tomorrow but just wondered if anyone else has a problem?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is it possible to fit a mud guard to protect the rear mech?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ashleydwsmith, i got but in other way, the way of holding the mech is very bad. plastic is constantly damaging by cable. the construction itself is so unreliable

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Going to look at a couple of different options this week.

Will let you know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

96 XiZang

I have a '96 XiZang that has just been awesome. It's the older "Built in USA" by skunk works. She's 17yrs old, but still the best hardtail I've ever ridden. "Back in the day" I would race a few times a year, but now that I'm a fat old bastard, I've put myself on a cushy full suspension bike. I still take her out a few times a year, but find with my added weight that I really need disc brakes to keep it under control. Any idea if it's possible to have the frame altered to accept disc brakes. I've been thinking about selling it, but not sure what it would go for these days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbj2012 View Post
    Regarding the lower front could lower the stem more but then my controls will hit the top tube even more. What do you guys do to get a low front but avoid hitting the TT in a crash?
    I loosen the brake lever and shifter enough to twist, but not enough to move during use. True though it does hit the TT when the stem is lowered and in my case I flipped the stem upside down, however I have a riser bar which raises the levers up a bit.

Vicoz

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Has anyone gone 1x10? If so what chain guide did you use? Did you go bb mounted?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashleydwsmith View Post
    Has anyone gone 1x10? If so what chain guide did you use? Did you go bb mounted?
    I believe the first post is a 1x crank. The guide was where the front derailleur was mounted. Let me know how you go as I'd be interested to do this later on.

Vicoz

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoz2009 View Post
    I loosen the brake lever and shifter enough to twist, but not enough to move during use. True though it does hit the TT when the stem is lowered and in my case I flipped the stem upside down, however I have a riser bar which raises the levers up a bit.Vicoz
    Yes, I do that all the time but If lower the stem as much as possible the riser bar I have will really start to get in the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardfb View Post

this may be a little late but im 6'4", the xl is great but i wish i got a large, actually gonna go back to a hardtail but the bike is super comfortable, only have had a few problems with the bike in over 3000 hard miles

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast