mtbr member
    Mar 2011

2012 Sensor 9r Expert

Anyone have one? Thoughts?
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Sensor 9r. There was no Pro or Expert then. It came with Fox suspension front & rear, SLX drivetrain, and Elixir 5 brakes. I've since upgraded to XT derailleur & crankset, and Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheels.

The '12 Expert has a Marzocchi TST2 fork. I have the MicroTi version of this fork on another bike, and I like it a lot -- almost as much as the Fox on my GT. As for brakes, the Elixir 3's on the '12 are basically the same my Elixir 5's, so I think you'd have the same results as me. I like these brakes; the effort is a little higher than say Shimano XT's, but they're still one-finger, good modulation, low maintenance. Others complain about Avid brakes, but I've had nothing but good results (complicated bleed proedure notwithstanding).

The main thing on the '12 that seems kind of cheap is the wheels. Ride 'em until they give in, and upgrade.

I don't know if there are material differences between 2010 and 2012 frames. I heard there may be some changes to tubing, headset, etc., but I don't know if they add up to much.

My friends call my GT the Crown Vic. It's a little heavy (30 lbs), but it's plush and inspires a lot of confidence. It climbs well -- when I'm out of the saddle, I sometimes lock out the fork, but I never have to mess with ProPedal on the rear shock. I-Drive works.

I've ridden other FS 29ers, though none of them with 120mm suspension, including Ellsworth Evolve, Pivot Mach429, and Santa Cruz Tallboy. I loved the Pivot, but not $2,000+ more than the GT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i just got one from performance last week. did 26 miles this past weekend and love it. i came off of a 36 pound all mtn haro to this and i will never look back. don't spend $1k more on the same bike, just buy this one.

mtbr member
    How much travel in the rear? I can't seem to find it anywhere!
    Live
    Love

SPIN

mtbr member
    ok.. apparently I'm not very smart :-)

just realized the frame 'description' on the mfgr websites indicates the travel.

so.. if I understand it correctly - the Sensor is a 120mm rear travel bike
    Live
    Love

SPIN