mtbr member

2012 GT Zaskar Carbon Expert 26"

Nashbar has them on sale right now for $1,399 sounds like an excellent deal and I am tempted to pull the trigger on one....I have never owned a GT before....Currently own a Specialized EVO 29er hardtail and a Giant Trance X2.....this would be a ride to fill the gap and use as a spare or loaner bike for friends.

Riding style is aggressive cross country with occasional racing on a variety of single track trail types

Anybody out there own one? Opinions? Thanks..

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am also interested in feedback on this bike. I have primarily been riding road since 2002 when my 1995 Zaskar was stolen. Would like to get back into some mountain biking and this seems like a great deal. I am not looking to do anything to intense and love to climb, so want a fairly light hardtail.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mcwenzel View Post
    I am also interested in feedback on this bike. I have primarily been riding road since 2002 when my 1995 Zaskar was stolen. Would like to get back into some mountain biking and this seems like a great deal. I am not looking to do anything to intense and love to climb, so want a fairly light hardtail.
    Must not be many Zaskar carbon hardtail owners out there???

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've been riding xc for about 12 years..raced a couple of years.. and of all the bikes I've had the Zaskar Carbon has been my favorite bike. Light and handles great.
    Well worth it.
    Mine with pedals is down to 20 lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CreativeEdge View Post
    I've been riding xc for about 12 years..raced a couple of years.. and of all the bikes I've had the Zaskar Carbon has been my favorite bike. Light and handles great.
    Well worth it.
    Mine with pedals is down to 20 lbs.
    Thanks for the info.....Any photos avaliable? How has the frame held up, any rock damage?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    here you go..

been on it close to 2 years and the frame still looks like new. I average about
    3-4 rides a week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CreativeEdge View Post
    here you go..

been on it close to 2 years and the frame still looks like new. I average about
    3-4 rides a week.
    Nice.how light is your ride with all those carbon.
    2010 Giant Reign0

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    about 19.5 lbs...
    currently..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I recently bought on from Nahsbar -when it was $1999 argh- and so far the only trouble I have had is with the seat post clamp. GAWD it is annoying. At first, it kept popping off. Weird, if you didn't tighten it enough, the Seatpost would quickly slip. If you tightened it too much, the clamp would start popping up with each turn of the binder bolt.

For the most part, this problem was addressed by taking a strip of Emory cloth and placing it between the seat post and the clamp (with the rough side facing outward (towards the clamp). It took some graduate level MIT (Mexican Institute of Technology ) thinking to figure this out. While it works "OK" the post still slips during my ride...especially if it is a rough ride.

GT was no help only referring me back to the place where I purchased it.

Other than that, I haveq been pleased. Be careful with the sizing. I have a avalanche (for work) and it is a small which is too small so I ordered the medium. I am 5'5" and the medium is about 1" too big. A a reference , I ride a 50cm road bike and 16.5" trek.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Gahhhh, I want one so badly but there are none in stock anywhere. You'd think they might have a couple in their warehouse... nope. All sold T_T