Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 GT Xizang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito View Post
    Now GM123, if for some reason you wanna part with that two tone purple/chrome Zaskar frame you have, I'd like to be the proud owner of that sweet thing. Hahahaha!
    Not a chance

There's a couple other nice ones down there that weren't there the last time you visited...must be about time for you to be headed up this way? Why no build on the Wells yet? Don't forget the stilts
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    http://kaoscustombikes.com.au
    Search "xizang" = Total: 0 results found.

Good morning to you. Hello?

Really, is it triple triangle? Top tube has 3 cable guides? Or...internal? Or maybe it is ss.

Sneaker man
    yep, nothin, been checking... bloody victorians, promise so much, deliver so little...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126 View Post
    Not a chance

There's a couple other nice ones down there that weren't there the last time you visited...must be about time for you to be headed up this way? Why no build on the Wells yet? Don't forget the stilts

I'm waiting on some money for top level parts for the Wells frame. I want to get it as light as possible. I have an SDG saddle from the GT Team waiting to go on it. Man, I wish I was visiting up there right now. It's a furnace here in OKlahoma, but I'm done with training for now so no Wisco visits for me. Maybe next year I can get a Cath Lab training class. So what else have you gotten now? Seems like every time we talk in here you have something new to show me.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd View Post
    Hi guys-

This 2012 Xizang is not in anyway meant to be a "reissue" like the Zaskar of a few years back was...

-ska todd
    The Zaskar re-issue was not a re-issue in fact it was modern geometry for up to 100mm forks, disc brakes and had an integrated headset. Just like this Xizang. The only thing re-issue about it were the decals and the name.

Sneaker man
    but... it didn't have a bendy down tube, a tapered head tube (i still don't understand the purpose of this, were old bikes so floppy, or is this to make me not reuse an old fork) and it sure as hell wasn't a 29er...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    but... it didn't have a bendy down tube, a tapered head tube (i still don't understand the purpose of this, were old bikes so floppy, or is this to make me not reuse an old fork) and it sure as hell wasn't a 29er...
    Having the down tube go parrallel before angling down gives room for the bigger wheel...The re-issue Zaskars were 26 so didn't need that.

Sneaker man
    yet another reason 29ers are the spam of the devil... you gotta bend the frame to make the wheels fit...!!

so...gm you going to have any oldies coming through in the next year or so...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd View Post
    This 2012 Xizang is not in anyway meant to be a "reissue" like the Zaskar of a few years back was (heck, passing current CEN standards using straight up old designs might be tough!) This is a modern retake on the classic.
    Then call it something else. Don't try to trade on past glory that's 3 corporations removed from the current company.

GM123 is absolutely correct. There are enough of us "old timers" out here who know the difference.

Take a look at the resurgent Eastern Woods Research. They are building new bikes as close to their early 90's roots as possible with some modifications for current forks and disc brakes. Their frames are not inexpensive and yet they can't build them fast enough to meet the demand.

Sneaker man
    it is peeerdy...even if it is a 29er with a bendy noodle downtube...

Gallery: 2012 GT Xizang 9'r Titanium 29er – First Look - BikeRadar

blog hogs
    Feb 2010
    I really want to see a size small 26".
    Ignore them till they go away.It's corporate policy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Well very good, beautiful looking frame. Top tube ovalized looks like? Darn, I have to run EBB again.

Sneaker man
    I really want to see a medium 26in frame...

I am really torn... next yeat, to I buy an original one, or do I see if they make a 26 and maybe get that... or will i have enough money for anything...?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Start putting the money into a piggie bank. Better return than equity investment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake View Post
    Well very good, beautiful looking frame. Top tube ovalized looks like?
    You mean just like it is on the original 90-99 Xizang's. Looks a tad more pronounced on this frame because the tubing is larger diameter. Massive seat tube on this one compared to Gen 1 Xizang's

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake View Post
    Kaos Custom Bikes
    Search "xizang" = Total: 0 results found.

Good morning to you. Hello?

Really, is it triple triangle? Top tube has 3 cable guides? Or...internal? Or maybe it is ss.
    seems in the morning is a week in vic

mtbr member
    Grrrr, it will be hard deciding between a Zaskar Carbon 9r and this fine baby....

Sneaker man
    its funny, I was going through some old mags (mostly that oracle MBA) and aprt from the old adds from 99 for $900 xizangs and $400 zaskar teams, $800 STS's, found an article where they too two er fishers, same spec, but one 26 other 29 and their conclusion- 26 beat 29er, that was 2005, how times change

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    But to be fair, Fisher went through so many 29er experiments for years and finally found "the" geometry in the last couple of years. I wouldn't be surprised if all early 2000 29ers were all poor performers.

29er is not a new thing any more, that I'll be damned if Xizang is a poor performer. I'd be looking for a review that focus on the handling from 29er perspective, not another 26 vs. 29 comparison (that gets old quick).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    its funny, I was going through some old mags (mostly that oracle MBA) and aprt from the old adds from 99 for $900 xizangs and $400 zaskar teams, $800 STS's, found an article where they too two er fishers, same spec, but one 26 other 29 and their conclusion- 26 beat 29er, that was 2005, how times change
    No that's how the industry through marketing and forcing racers to ride 29ers shoves them down the markets throat. innovate or die whether it makes sense or not

Sneaker man
    ^ yeah well that's my opinion of it too...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey the Victorian does have it, just kept it under the rug it looks like... Mik_git, perhaps your winter getaway trip is in order?

GT Xizang

Sneaker man
    sheez! a few post above^^^

they don't officially arrive in oz till feb, and only in large (apparently, don't really care as that is for 29er)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Bump, any news in the states?? Denver dealers have no word on the ETA...

Sneaker man
    there is a guy in the UK with one in a 26in (damn him, damn him to hell!!!) to test for a mag...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast