Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2011 GT Karakoram

117K views 340 replies 96 participants last post by  slowride454 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any real world pictures or a review of one. Couldn't really find anything on the forums about it & I wanted some pics to look at besides whats on GT's website.

I've been looking at other 29ers, but the GT's just keep bringing me back... Must be the memories of my old Performer with mags...:thumbsup:

#3 ·
BigVaz said:
Does anyone have any real world pictures or a review of one. Couldn't really find anything on the forums about it & I wanted some pics to look at besides whats on GT's website.

I've been looking at other 29ers, but the GT's just keep bringing me back... Must be the memories of my old Performer with mags...:thumbsup:
BigVaz,

Here is a review of our top model, the Karakoram 1.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/karakoram-10-29er-11-40924

#7 ·
the new karakoram looks great, I was just looking at one at performance bicycles this week. I was about to pop on it but the guy at the shop told me to stay away from it. Not really sure of an exact reason but he said that everyone that has bought one from that store has been unhappy with it.

#8 ·
mtbnoobadam said:
the new karakoram looks great, I was just looking at one at performance bicycles this week. I was about to pop on it but the guy at the shop told me to stay away from it. Not really sure of an exact reason but he said that everyone that has bought one from that store has been unhappy with it.
I've been looking seriously at this bike too... Would love to hear from someone who has one.

#11 ·
Just bought a Karakoram 2.0 and will do first commute on it tomorrow, not sure my review will be worth much, compared to the $150 cheapo bike I rode previously it's amazing.

I can take some pics if you like, I'm kinda new at this bike stuff, are there specific parts of it that you want to see?

#15 · (Edited)
i got the 1.0 last month
love it
changed out the cranks to a deore with external bb and changed out the bars and stem (didnt like the white)left every thing else
only dislike is the shitty sram5 shifters its next on the list
road riding is easy as pie and trails are smooth as silk
find some one who has one in stock and ride it

wally

:edit:
added pics
if you want any taken just ask
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

#17 ·
I bought the GT Karakoram 1.0 about three weeks ago. It is an awesome bike ! Not just an awesome bike "for the money" . It is an AWESOME bike. I also have a Niner RIP9 that I have about $5000 invested in. It is tricked out pretty well. The Karakoram has me questioning why I have so much invested in the Niner. It is so much fun. I have spent another $200-ish on some upgrades to lighten it up a bit and used some stuff from my parts bin.I converted to a 1x9 set-up,new bar,seatpost,stem and cassette.Dropped about 3lbs. so far. Converted to tubeless via the "ghetto" method. VERY fun bike, I am enjoying it so much the Niner is collecting dust and I am considering selling it :eek: .

#19 ·
I am 6' 3" and I bought the XL and it fits GREAT. More rides on this bike and I have cleaned climbs that I have never done on ANY bike including my over-priced Niner.I am selling the Niner and using the proceeds to pimp out the GT !!

#20 ·
I bought the 2.0 a month or so ago. This is my first bike since I was a kid, so I can't give you a really legit review. I beat the hell out of it; I hit the local trails usually 5 times a week. It wasn't made for taking drops, but I do it anyways and blew out the Dart fork on it (Performance Bike upgraded me to a Tora for free). I like it so far, it's been what I expected: an entry level 29er to get me back into biking. My buddy just bought the Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er, and I've ridden it and prefer the GT much more.

#21 ·
I love mine, I decide it over a Zaskar 9r! :eek:

Why? because, It has a better frame, better profiles, better HS (I hate the Integreted HS, I prefer classic or ZeroStack) and the best of it, Kinesis SPF.

GT outdid itself with this bike, I hope that the alu Zaskar 9r be updated to bring some of the features of the Karakoram.

:D

#23 ·
skipping gears on 2.0

I'm riding the 2.0 daily to work, clocking up about 100km a week. I stick in the middle front gear all the time.

I've found that when I push major force on the 8-9 gears that there is quite significant chain skip. I've already had it back in the store and they said my rear derailleur hanger was bent and straightened it out. But reading up online, it seems that cable tension is one of the key culprits.

I'm trying to figure out if it's a shoddy part that needs changing, or if it's just a setup tweak i need to have made.

Anyone had similar issues with the 2.0?

#78 ·
I'm riding the 2.0 daily to work, clocking up about 100km a week. I stick in the middle front gear all the time.

I've found that when I push major force on the 8-9 gears that there is quite significant chain skip. I've already had it back in the store and they said my rear derailleur hanger was bent and straightened it out. But reading up online, it seems that cable tension is one of the key culprits.

I'm trying to figure out if it's a shoddy part that needs changing, or if it's just a setup tweak i need to have made.

Anyone had similar issues with the 2.0?
I have a similar issue, when dropping down to the granny gear. the chain always gets caught in the rear derailleur, and pedalling comes ot a complete halt.

#26 ·
I bought the silver 2011 GT Karakoram 2.0 on Saturday. My first 29er, upgraded from a Trek 820 XL Frame, $320 mountain bike. I had that Trek for at least 4 years and beat on it as hard as you can imagine. I adore the Karakoram, compared to the Trek its like a new Mercedes as opposed to a Chrysler 300. Disc breaks blow the old V brakes away. The bike is surprisingly light. Shifting is seemmless and silent as is the crank when you are coasting. 100 fork travels well for the price of the the, and the lockout is solid; makes it feel like a different bike on flat pavement. I crunch trails daily, and it it quite fast, and if you have any forward or downhill momentum, the bke truly glides. Center of gravity is easy to find, and was thought about in design. I love it. Zero complaints so far. If I have isses ill let you know, I put a good 25 miles a day on it. And if you want pics, I have plenty. Also another small but nice feature, metal pedals. You'd be surprised how many bikes from $700 to $900 use plastic. Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.